IGNORED

PlayStation Classic (mini) is coming...............

On 8/8/2019 at 10:43 AM, Newsdee said:

I got super lucky and picked up one at a Target sale where they were $20 each(!) Obviously I could not resist at that price. They were clearly trying to get rid of them, though.

I've been keeping an eye out for one it's very unfortunate what sony did to the ps classic but thank God for the hacking community

If best buy is no longer 20 then eBay maybe is the only option.  Or GameStop is 40 bucks.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PlayStation-Classic-PS1-Video-Game-Virtual-Console-With-20-Games-Gray/254227240555?hash=item3b311fd66b:m:mjHjIZ_WQrSgho80bwbmsbw

Or this.  Sorry could not resist.  This just made me laugh.  $25.99 without controllers.  And $999.99 with controllers.  LOL, WTF?

Edited by 0078265317
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

If anybody is still considering, GameStop has them for $20 currently!

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/retro-gaming/playstation/consoles/products/playstation-classic/10168643.html

Best to pick them up in store as it tried to charge like $10 for shipping and handling...

I can't confirm if you can just go in and buy them for $20, or if you have to go online to get the price, so just a heads up. 

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

I actually bought one at EB Games just over a week ago, for 30 bucks. At that price, I felt it was worth purchasing. Unlike my Super-NES Mini (and the Genesis Mini which I'll buy on September 19th) I want to hack my PlayStation Mini and put the games I want, since I don't see much that interests me in the stock selection of games, aside perhaps for Final Fantasy VII and a couple of others.

I'm not sure how easy it is to actually hack this thing, however, as I haven't begun to investigate how to do it yet. I have to locate disc images of the games I want to put (Castlevania SOTN, Mega Man Legends, and my other favorites) and then do some involved process to get everything installed. I just hope the process is well documented somewhere, especially where multi-disc games like FF7 are concerned. Also, I need to avoid PS1 titles that require the DualShock, I don't want to buy another set of controllers.

2 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

I actually bought one at EB Games just over a week ago, for 30 bucks. At that price, I felt it was worth purchasing. Unlike my Super-NES Mini (and the Genesis Mini which I'll buy on September 19th) I want to hack my PlayStation Mini and put the games I want, since I don't see much that interests me in the stock selection of games, aside perhaps for Final Fantasy VII and a couple of others.

I'm not sure how easy it is to actually hack this thing, however, as I haven't begun to investigate how to do it yet. I have to locate disc images of the games I want to put (Castlevania SOTN, Mega Man Legends, and my other favorites) and then do some involved process to get everything installed. I just hope the process is well documented somewhere, especially where multi-disc games like FF7 are concerned. Also, I need to avoid PS1 titles that require the DualShock, I don't want to buy another set of controllers.

It is super easy to hack this. I recommend Autobleem as that works with not much set up and is super easy to add games. If you have any questions, you can ask away.

1 hour ago, artrag said:

I did it this way.  I've been down the road of ROM collecting and enjoy it, but unless you are ready to sort a bunch of PS1 ISOs (which some people are but I wasn't) then this is a great shortcut.

Here's an English link:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QLCMK4N/?coliid=I12V0YW5BFQ0B8&colid=33MGG9TAY6GX&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

$20 is tempting, but not sure it's worth all the trouble. Here's the typical LameStop experience at a particular store out by me:

Me: Hello, do you have any PSX Mini's in stock? (Knowing full well they do because I checked their inventory first and would never assume they actually have stock of something I wanted)

Dude: Have you heard about that new Ikaruga Dragon Midnight Zero Pansy X game for the PS4?

Me: I don't care about modern games. Just sell me the PSX Mini.

Dude: Want to preorder that classic TG-16 system coming next year? Only need to put half down and we'll never call you when it comes in.

Me: Just ring me up for the PSX Mini.

Dude: Are you a rewards member? I can sell you a membership...

Dude: Want to buy some magazines? Or this disc resurfacer? Or this Wario bubblegum?

Dude: Can I get your phone number in case we want to call about the next stupid thing, in the hopes of tricking you into paying full price quick, before it goes on sale

Dude: Okay, how will you be paying?

Me: Just ring me up for the PSX Mini and I'll tell you afterwards.

Dude: Okay, well I just need to know, because if you're paying by cash, I need to ring you up on this other register. It's because we're too lazy to count two drawers at the end of the day. Your local Autozone is like this too. [and it is]  ;) 

...during all this worthless banter, dickheads will be calling in, asking about the next waste of money - as if they don't have internet or pay attention to release dates. Which of course, dude is more than happy to leave me hanging (the paying customer in store) to sit and talk some knobs' ear off about all the crap he had been talking my ear off about. While_I_wait!  

And after I *finally* get rung up, dude will shove these pamphlets advertising modern crap into the bag - completely ignoring and spacing out the fact that I could care less about any of it, per the very second thing I always end up saying to these people. HELLO!!

:rolling:  :rolling:  :rolling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, wongojack said:

I did it this way.  I've been down the road of ROM collecting and enjoy it, but unless you are ready to sort a bunch of PS1 ISOs (which some people are but I wasn't) then this is a great shortcut.

Here's an English link:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QLCMK4N/?coliid=I12V0YW5BFQ0B8&colid=33MGG9TAY6GX&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Very interesting. Amazon doesn't take Paypal however, IIRC. But I see that there are Amazon.ca Gift Cards, which I can buy at places like Loblaws. Do these cards work like Nintendo eShop cards, where you just log on, enter the passcode on the card, and credits are added to your account which you can use to make purchases?

Can't remember if I did mine with BleemSync or AutoBleem, it was the one that doesn't alter the consoles firmware/software.  Was pretty simple to setup, only issue was getting a USB stick to work.  I bought one I found recommended online for it, but it wouldn't work, but an old 8GB USB 2.0 Sony Micro Vault stick I had laying around works perfectly.  

11 hours ago, doubledown said:

Can't remember if I did mine with BleemSync or AutoBleem, it was the one that doesn't alter the consoles firmware/software.  Was pretty simple to setup, only issue was getting a USB stick to work.  I bought one I found recommended online for it, but it wouldn't work, but an old 8GB USB 2.0 Sony Micro Vault stick I had laying around works perfectly.  

In either case, let's say I play a game of Castlevania SOTN, the memory card function is reproduced on the USB stick as a save file, right?

Also, another question: The PS Mini I bought didn't come with a USB power adaptor, and the small print on the box recommends using a "USB AC 5V 1A" adaptor. So I bought a USB 3.0 5V 3A charger at another store. But the specs on the charger say "INPUT 100-240 V AC/0.5A 50/60 MHz, OUTPUT 3.6-6V DC ::: 3A". If the charger outputs DC, it's not going to work on my PS Mini, is it? I haven't unboxed my PS Mini yet, as you can probably guess.  :)

To my understanding, any games you add via the hack onto the USB stick, those games' game saves also are on the USB stick.  I'm sure there are people who understand AutoBleem and Bleemsync better than I who can confirm or refute this.  

I have never seen a USB charger that outputs AC, they all output DC.  They all accept AC in, i.e. 110 - 240 VAC, then output 5VDC @ x amperage, and/or 9VDC x amperage depending on charging model.  The back of my PS Classic box (U.S. version) says:

"Use the included USB cable to connect this console to a USB power source that supports 5V, 1.0A (minimum) output, such as a USB AC adaptor (not included)."

I used one of the many modern Samsung Galaxy adaptive fast chargers I have laying around which outputs 9V @1.67A, or 5V @ 2A.  Obviously as the PS Classic is looking for/pulling 5V, so that's what the charger supplies to it, not the 9V this particular charger is capable of providing.  You should have no problem using any USB charger that wasn't some $0.99 Chinese cheap-o from the bulk bin at the gas station or beer store!  They only call out the 1.0 A minimum, as cheap and/or older chargers only sometimes output 0.500 A (500 mA)- 0.750 A (750 mA), which is not enough to properly power the console.

Yeah that USB adaptor you got should be fine. That's a pretty typical spec USB supply. The odd ones are lower power made specific for lower power consumption devices. Or the newer high speed chargers.

Those quick chargers complicate things a bit. The USB standard is 5v DC. Standard USB will differ in the amp output capacity. If it has a higher amp output, that's fine as the load/device will take the amps/current it can use. If the supply can't provide the minimum current required, that could be a problem. The high speed usb chargers I'm guessing, have a switching supply based on the device, but if they can output higher than 5v DC I'd be careful. Over voltage is your chief concern with DC. Amps will be easy as long as you have the minimum current capacity required or more.

Edited by JBerel

Latest bleemsync is out.  It includes folder support, limited support for wi-fi adapters ( so you can use the network features of retroarch ) , on console game manger, latest build of retroarch and other misc fixes.  What has me intrigued is what is in the works.

Apparently someone is working on porting emustation over to the PSC...  :D

No big hurry as far as I'm concerned.  I have not been able to mess with the PSC for a couple weeks now thanks to real life.  Plus I have a bunch of xbox related stuff that I need to get on at some point.

Edited by Shannon

On 9/6/2019 at 11:33 AM, save2600 said:

$20 is tempting, but not sure it's worth all the trouble. Here's the typical LameStop experience at a particular store out by me:

Hide contents

Me: Hello, do you have any PSX Mini's in stock? (Knowing full well they do because I checked their inventory first and would never assume they actually have stock of something I wanted)

Dude: Have you heard about that new Ikaruga Dragon Midnight Zero Pansy X game for the PS4?

Me: I don't care about modern games. Just sell me the PSX Mini.

Dude: Want to preorder that classic TG-16 system coming next year? Only need to put half down and we'll never call you when it comes in.

Dude: Are you a rewards member? I can sell you a membership...

Dude: Want to buy some magazines? Or this disc resurfacer? Or this Wario bubblegum?

Dude: Can I get your phone number in case we want to call about the next stupid thing, in the hopes of tricking you into paying full price quick, before it goes on sale

Dude: Okay, how will you be paying?

Me: Just ring me up for the PSX Mini and I'll tell you afterwards.

Dude: Okay, well I just need to know, because if you're paying by cash, I need to ring you up on this other register. It's because we're too lazy to count two drawers at the end of the day. Your local Autozone is like this too. [and it is]  ;) 

...during all this worthless banter, dickheads will be calling in, asking about the next waste of money - as if they don't have internet or pay attention to release dates. Which of course, dude is more than happy to leave me hanging (the paying customer in store) to sit and talk some knobs' ear off about all the crap he had been talking my ear off about. While_I_wait!  

And after I *finally* get rung up, dude will shove these pamphlets advertising modern crap into the bag - completely ignoring and spacing out the fact that I could care less about any of it, per the very second thing I always end up saying to these people. HELLO!!

:rolling:  :rolling:  :rolling:

I just read this,...but YES!   Classic!!!   (Plus all the DoublePlus Good LOLs!!)

You Win the Internet for Today (Or maybe at least a month) as far as I'm concerned!...

I haven't been able to succinctly put the (Modern) Game Stop experience into words, although I've tried...But You've done it! 

Strangely, I first noticed this strange behavior at a game store in Denver.  I think it was Buy Back Games, so it wasn't a Game Stop (Or even an E.B. at that point in time),  though Game Stop would later adopt this behavior as well.  Now, don't misunderstand;  It was an Awesome place (Give or take trying to sell you the latest thing as soon as ya walk through the door...) but at that point in time (Circa 19 years ago) the latest thing was a PS1 game so it didn't bug me like it would now...I was so blown away by the fact they carried pretty much Every system and not just the modern ones...I was really checking out everything at the time;  New, Old, Everything in between ...I was Amazed at their selection of "old" stuff which our stores up here almost never had.

Anyway the one thing that struck me as silly was the fact that as soon as I walked through the door, I saw 2 monitors featuring "Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed", with a customer playing it, and without even saying hello, the employees said, "Are you here for 'Need for Speed:  Porsche Unleashed?'  "No." said I without skipping a beat, and as I began my next sentence, I'm sure I heard one of them say "What??!" in a terse, slightly lilting upward tone that sounded like a quick flabbergasted breath combined with the word "what" and an air of incredulity, as if to say in one syllable "That's too bad, we thought you were smart like us"...Pretty sure I continued with something like "I'll look around.   I'll let you know."   But what I wanted to say was,  "How about I buy what I want and not what you try and push on everyone who walks through that door?"

• Like 1