IGNORED

PlayStation Classic (mini) is coming...............

Modders: if I wanted to use one solely to emulate NES, SNES, Genesis, and TG16:

1- Is the performance adequate and

2- Is the setup faster and easier than a Retropie?

At under $50, I could be talked into it

Retropie has a lot more flexibility. From what I've read, the setup hassle seems pretty equivalent.

I'm getting more of these mini things than anyone needs, so as a result I'm keeping each one "pure" to their purpose -- NES on NES mini, SNES on SNES mini, PlayStation on this.

Emulation issues aside the PSX emulation is rather good. I played two Spyro games the other day and they play better than on the xbox and seemed full speed. If hackers have it running retroarch than I would say that NES, SNES and TG16 support should be fine. I already have 2600, 5200, 7800 and lynx running on the NES/SNES classic and those run rather well. Minus questionable sound in the 5200 emulation.

I'm not taking into account lag which is something that seems subjective. Whatever "lag" there is did not affect my ability to play the games I tried. Although I admit my reflexes ain't what they used to be. :lol:

However I'm like most people in this thread. I only picked up this thing because of the price drop. $100 was just too much for me.

If anyone was considering one of these for emulation, they should get it cheap, say under $50. From the sounds of it, it's pretty low end and not user friendly for emulation compared to other options. The shield TV is the first mini box I haven't been disappointed with its performance, but that's $160+. I have an RPi 2b but it's just weak for the task. The hacked Wii works better and that's pretty anemic too.

• Like 1

If anyone was considering one of these for emulation, they should get it cheap, say under $50. From the sounds of it, it's pretty low end and not user friendly for emulation compared to other options. The shield TV is the first mini box I haven't been disappointed with its performance, but that's $160+. I have an RPi 2b but it's just weak for the task. The hacked Wii works better and that's pretty anemic too.

Yeah, I really only see the PSClassic as appealing if it's insanely cheap and works well for 2D consoles. If I have to sink any major money into it, suddenly a lot of other options become more attractive.

I'm currently messing with the recent Retroarch implementation. It is as seemless as the BleemSync setup in regards to no hacking necessary. Everything goes on the USB stick. On boot you have a menu to pick between Retroarch and BleemSync. It just has the usual retroarch setup head aches. I've successfully tested so far.. Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 and Lynx. As well as NES and SNES.

I never wrapped my head entirely around the retroarch headache which is why I tend to avoid it. The one thing I originally wanted that program for was Neo Geo and for some stupid reason it seems to be very nitpicky about which ROM sets it will even recognize to even show up on a game list. Sadly the sets I have, ones I actually own and are verified legit and working it refuses to see. I kind of took insult to that and erased the thing, yet using their competition (such as final burn alpha) it saw my legit files and ran them 100% perfect which kind of shut the door on me caring as far as it went on my computer. I wish retroarch wasn't so testy, as setup aside wasn't much of a hassle.

The way things are going so quickly it seems it's even just more of a matter of time before someone really kicks the door in on the PSC to where it's hakchi stupid easy to click a few buttons and just have it pop things in place so easy anyone can do it without the misery being involved. But as was already said earlier, given all those options out there, I'd be inclined to keep platform specific so a PSC would just get more PS1 added to it and that's it. Just like if my kid ever decides she hates her NES or SNES classic, I'd hack that sucker rather than sell it.

Yeah I have not quite decided how I want to divy up the emulated systems yet. As it stands now the NES classic is NES only and the experiments I'm trying. SNES classics is SNES only and the PS1 classic is PS1 as well as systems I'm testing. Until I get an OTG adapter, though, my NES/SNES classic testing is limited to systems with smaller ROM images.

The one nicety the PS1 has over the NES/SNES classics is it uses a regular USB plug so it is a little easier to deal with. Retroarch is supposed to work with PS3 and PS4 controllers but for some reason it recognizes them but the are either non-responsive or not completely functional. Bizarre....

Arrgh, this is not as simple as I had hoped it would be ...

- seems my low-profile Sandisk 128GB USB 3.0 thumb drive won't work on this thing without a powered hub

- many of my PSX rips of games I like have multiple BIN files, which need to be re-processed for this emulator to parse them right

- the smaller capacity flash drive that actually works is really slow to write these large files

I'll get there, but this is requiring a lot more work than I had thought it would.

Use 32GB 2.0 if you don't want a powered hub.

For multiple BIN files..

Copy the cue file and the first BIN file ( the one with 01 ) over to the folder.

Run bleemsync.exe

Copy over the rest of your files.

Edit the INI file and change the Discs="" entry so it matches the name of the .cue file. (minus the .cue extension)

That should do the trick and the game should be playable.

Edited by Shannon
  • Like 2

Nice.. FWIW the BleemSync guys are working on some changes which will allow plugging in of USB devices into the back port.. hence no need to tie up port two. Plus the back port has more power so people should have better luck with different USB sticks.

• Like 1