IGNORED

PlayStation Classic (mini) is coming...............

I'm wondering if, or why this wouldn't actually be a version of their PlayStation TV board. Didn't that play PS1 games you could download from their store, among others? That would have required the needed storage for a certain amount of games. This could just be an offline PSTV in a different box.

It would be interesting if they choose to use an emulator now after all their fuss over Bleem, but I guess they've done it before.

And is it really $140 $100 with just 20 games?

Five bucks per game, and two controllers too. When we consider the SNES mini had 21 games (most of which are under 1MB each in size) for $80, that doesn't seem so crazy.

It's hard to get overly excited about stuff like this when emulation is everywhere and has been available for so long. The big draw here is another cute thing to add to the itty bitty game console committee.

I kinda wonder if Sony is playing this card too soon. I know it's twenty plus years old but even as an original owner, I don't have near the nostalgia for Sony as I do for Nintendo. But maybe the 20 somethings do?...which is the thing: I had to wait 30 years for a legal option of NES roms (didnt have a wii then), so the time was well due. Considering the newer gen of gamers tend to not be as physical copy-desiring as we older folks, will there be the demand?

• Like 1

Five bucks per game, and two controllers too. When we consider the SNES mini had 21 games (most of which are under 1MB each in size) for $80, that doesn't seem so crazy.

It's hard to get overly excited about stuff like this when emulation is everywhere and has been available for so long. The big draw here is another cute thing to add to the itty bitty game console committee.

The fixed/ limited games on the NES and SNES Classics also made me devoid of interest. However, now they mod them. It will likely be the case here as well. Although, besides the actual cart addition on the Atari Flashback 2, no one ever seems to mod those Atari Flashbacks for more games. I suppose because it is the NOAC.

I will say that it may be a point of entry for people unfamilar with it, if such people exist. Like the ColecoVision Flashback, which had 60 games, could introduce n00bs to the ColecoVision.

The fixed/ limited games on the NES and SNES Classics also made me devoid of interest. However, now they mod them. It will likely be the case here as well. Although, besides the actual cart addition on the Atari Flashback 2, no one ever seems to mod those Atari Flashbacks for more games. I suppose because it is the NOAC.

I will say that it may be a point of entry for people unfamilar with it, if such people exist. Like the ColecoVision Flashback, which had 60 games, could introduce n00bs to the ColecoVision.

I can only speak for myself but the main reason I never modded my fb2 was that it was tricky. Soldering, cutting a slot, sourcing a cartridge slot from somewhere...I just left it stock. Modding the Nintendo minis seem quite a bit easier. If the emulation was better for the NES I would have alreadt done it.

Thats why the selection of games on tjia Sony ministation is such a big deal. Not even sure where I would source PS1 roms to be honest.

Interesting point of getting noobs in, as the Nintendo stuff seemed squarely at older gamers, rather than try to market old games to young players.

I kinda wonder if Sony is playing this card too soon. I know it's twenty plus years old but even as an original owner, I don't have near the nostalgia for Sony as I do for Nintendo. But maybe the 20 somethings do?...which is the thing: I had to wait 30 years for a legal option of NES roms (didnt have a wii then), so the time was well due. Considering the newer gen of gamers tend to not be as physical copy-desiring as we older folks, will there be the demand?

I think it's the right time; I didn't grow up w/ NES or SNES a I had a MegaDrive/Genesis, but right after got me a PS1. Loved that thing, even when it broke on me after three months (the thing to hold the disc broke apart :/).

If anything this is probably the right time to strike w/ a PS1 Mini especially if they want to give it a couple of years for a PS2 Mini later down the road; two years would be just enough breathing room. What I'm more concerned with atm is the game list; stuff like FFVII and Tekken 3 especially being there is pretty hype, but I couldn't care less for games like Twisted Metal or Destruction Derby, they just never really grabbed me.

I also worry it's just going to be all the usual picks; it'd be nice if they, say, did a finished version of a prototype that's been sitting around like Nintendo did w/ Star Fox 2, or an official English translation for some cool but obscure JRPG that either has none or it's been taking forever (Moon RPG w/ English translation would immediately put this on my To-Buy list).

The lack of analog controllers is disappointing to me, because that means no Gran Turismo. I mean, FF7 is legit, and if it has SotN and MGS, that would make it a must-have, but the lack of analog control hurts.

Also, am I the only person on earth that hates Jumping Flash?

I'm kind of hoping they put Wi-Fi and a store in this thing, if only so that I can laugh at Playmaji some more.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 3

About 95 percent of my PS1 library was stolen/lost back in the day. All I have left of my original collection are Breath of Fire 3, some crappy racing game, and disc 1 of Final Fantasy VII. Reacquiring them has not been a priority. Two of them are among the announced games (FFVII and Wild Arms). It would be nice to have official version of them, but... I also have emulators... anyway...

• Like 1

i'm not sure that i have a great deal of nostalgia for the PS1, specifically; I tend to look back more fondly on the console(s) of my youth instead. my college roommate and I had a PS1, then I graduated/got married the first time/moved and had maybe the same one, I don't remember. lol

we did spend lots of hours playing Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha/Alpha 3, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy Tactics, Ehrgeiz (yes... Ehrgeiz, lol), among others. When I was married the first time I did spend a lot of time playing FFVIII, FFIX, Legend of Mana, and Chrono Cross (I played TONS of JRPGS), but I dont know if I'd want to devote time to those games any more or not (were they even available on the PS Mini). I have a few of the FF games on Steam and I'm just kinda 'eeeeh' anymore.

For me it's going to depend on if someone 'cracks' it (which I mentioned on the first page of the thread), the game set, and the basic availability of the console. I started out with the non-DS controllers so that's really not a deal-breaker for me.

Proof is in the pudding. :)

I went on and pre-ordered the device but depending on the games that will be on will determine if I keep it. I have the original still with plenty of games but like the Nintendo mini consoles I enjoy getting to play them this way and keeping my entertainment center clean. I have a Pi setup somewhere with many more options but I find myself going to the more limited SNES Classic due to how simple it is. I'd love to see some Mega Man on here since I do not own any of those discs and play the games via the different Legacy collections.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if, or why this wouldn't actually be a version of their PlayStation TV board. Didn't that play PS1 games you could download from their store, among others? That would have required the needed storage for a certain amount of games. This could just be an offline PSTV in a different box.

It would be interesting if they choose to use an emulator now after all their fuss over Bleem, but I guess they've done it before.

That would make a lot of sense. They probably have quite a few left over PSTVs/ Vitas laying around. I look forward to a technical tear down video of one.

I could picture myself purchasing this Sony mini, but it will depend on Castlevania SOTN being included or not. For me, FF7 is a nice bonus but not a real incentive to buy, and the same applies to most of the PS1 library. I just hope Sony will learn from Nintendo's mistakes and make this thing widely available at launch. I ain't giving my moolah to a scalper, especially for a game system I feel no real nostalgia for.

I still have my PS3, it has HDMi, wireless controllers, and can play PSone games. I kept most of my PSone favourites when I got rid of the Psone many moons ago. So i'll give this a miss.

At least it means PSone games should go cheap again where people buying this will sell off their PSones, just like the NES/SNES minis pushed a whole heap of consoles/games back into the marketplace.

Using comic sans in videos is choice typography. Magnifique!

I could picture myself purchasing this Sony mini, but it will depend on Castlevania SOTN being included or not. For me, FF7 is a nice bonus but not a real incentive to buy, and the same applies to most of the PS1 library. I just hope Sony will learn from Nintendo's mistakes and make this thing widely available at launch. I ain't giving my moolah to a scalper, especially for a game system I feel no real nostalgia for.

You know, I'm going back and forth on this thing much more than I did the Nintendo classics. Basically every game that's been announced so far is a PSOne Classic I already own on PS3, including Jumping Flash. Do I really need another way to play FF7? Guess it depends on what other games are included. With the Classic Minis, there are several games I didn't otherwise own. So far that's not true for this.

That would make a lot of sense. They probably have quite a few left over PSTVs/ Vitas laying around. I look forward to a technical tear down video of one.

If this uses Vita or PSP hardware, I'll eat an AtariBox. It's probably going to be the same cheap-to-manufacture ARM-based board as the other mini console projects we've seen. The Vita has been out of production for years and it's not like they'd be warehousing unsold stock.

We must

We must

We must increase the items under the entertainment center to dust

Yup. And I've long ago run out of HDMI ports. I guess something like this could be fun for teambuilding at work, though.

I suspect the people born in 1980 or soon after would be interested in something like this. Though we've had PSOne Classics for sale on PSP/PS3/Vita since abour 2006, rarely for more than $5.99 per game. $100 is in the range of impulse buy, especially when we see the inevitable holiday sales and bundle deals. I have a feeling it's not going to be $100 forever.

Here's a Playstation Book I downloaded a few years ago. It was free to grab then, so I assume it's OK to distribute it. Check it out, it describes all of the Playstation One games released in North America. You'll soon feel the limit of "only" 20 games onboard this thing, especially those selected by someone else.

psbookpdf.pdf

• Like 3