IGNORED

PlayStation Classic (mini) is coming...............

AtGames is definitely out tho; on their own Twitter they said they're working with a "domestic partner"; since it's the Japanese branch, that would mean a Japanese company. Plus seeing all the blowback when AtGames were revealed to be on before, there's zero reason to think they're still on-board.

Honestly, I don't see why they don't bring Retro-Bit in for the MD mini, they're already making those new controllers.

For the software side. That doesn't mean that AtGames isn't involved elsewhere with this product.

For the software side. That doesn't mean that AtGames isn't involved elsewhere with this product.

Like I said, it's *possible*, probably not probable however. They know the #1 reason for the backlash was because of AtGame's involvement, and now that they've undoubtedly seeing both Sony and SNK throwing their hats in the ring, they'd probably get the message by now.

They've been making a lot of smart decisions lately, I wouldn't expect them to stick w/ AtGames knowing full well people would find out before release and already dog the system b/c of that alone.

No the PS1 doesn't have more nostalgia than the NES/SNES do, likely never will, but to discount it too is equally stupid and foolish. Is it a cash grab? Yes. Is it a unique cash grab that Sega, Nintendo and SNK haven't done first? NOPE.

But getting away from the pseudo insult of a cash grab, what this is really getting down to it is a great way to get a selection of games out at a budget price in a closed box any moron who can plug a couple cables into a tv and power source can get some instant cheaper fun out of. You can waffle and wallow all over how this is stupid and it should be digitally sold, and you'd be right, and an idiot entirely missing the damned point. These at $100 or around that are called holiday or just normal impulse buys, something for that, something for the lazy, something for an easy carry and go solution. You get in each a wide enough supply of solid games with variety in genres to make anyone happy enough to justify buying it who would be on board or even fence sitting, and that's not to mention the nostalgia hounds and company lovers who just eat this stuff up.

This will sell and sell well, perhaps a little bungling with the 25% of the game list pre-info, and perhaps with the AC block not being included too. But what else is there really to complain about? Doesn't Sony on PSN usually release PS1 games in the $5-10 range, a bit more like $15 when it's a double disc plus type game like the FF titles? If you assume a 10 average, that's $200 in games plus the costs of the hardware too. Games alone, if you wanted them all you'd be already buying a multi-hundred dollar console plus another up to $200 in games, or you just get a benjamin out and you're done, it just works without all the make a PSN account, buy this big thing, those cables, etc bs. It just works. It will sell, there should be no doubt there and it should be done with a basic enough easy for idiots type menu to get it up and going in seconds pain free. Even as bad as ATgames bungled the Genesis until the android core went in, they got the idea. Nintendo really simplified and prettied it up on the NES and SNES so well that SNK basically aped it for their NG Mini device. Don't think Sony won't keep it simple too.

--

The ATgames involvement off topic here on sega was because a lot of close minded fools, attention seeking clowns, and the truly misinformed still automatically with just enough cause assume they still peddle that broken firecore mess of a emulator on their systems. They're partly right because they keep abusing and ignoring the handheld, but the console runs quite nicely. The issue isn't it being so bad out of them anymore, it's the stigma of it. If ATgames could just take an eraser to the problems they caused for a decade with Sega Genesis fans there would be far closer to minimal complaining had they started out like the two versions of the HD Genesis.

Edited by Tanooki

Hardware sales don't just mean it's more for nostalgia. A lot of what made Sony as powerful as it was on that era was the franchises they ripped from the NES/SNES era where they got started. Couple that with the ongoing hard on now for 'retro' style 8 and 16bit games that keep the Nintendo stuff more relevant than much of anything else, that is what I was basing that comment on.

Due to that list, might as well say that the Wii in time will be the most amazing and nostalgic console Nintendo will ever have, same with the DS for handheld too. People don't always care how big the hardware sold, even if it's a huge factor, it's what it supplied and what people look back great on.

Nostalgia is a purely personal and circumstantial feeling. Since Playstation was my first console and my first Nintendo was an N64 ~ 2003, for me it's PSX which is much more "nostalgic" (if I was doing nostalgia, that is, which I try not to :) For somebody else it might be an entirely different system.

• Like 1

Man, Nintendo has absolutely dominated the handheld market. Crazy to think how inferior the OG Gameboy was to the Atari Lynx (which I absolutely loved while I loathed and sold off my OG Gameboy) and Sega Game Gear, but blew those away like a hammer hitting flies.

Citation needed. Because Sony Playstation almost as much as both NES and SNES put together, and arrived just a few years later. 100 million customers plus more than twenty years equals a lot of potential nostalgia.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-09-21 at 11.38.47 AM.png

Very true. I am most nostalgic for the Sega Genesis, NES, and TurboGrafx-16 because those are what I grew up playing with. Consoles after that not so much as I didn't own any 5th gen or later consoles at the time they were originally being sold.

Nostalgia is a purely personal and circumstantial feeling. Since Playstation was my first console and my first Nintendo was an N64 ~ 2003, for me it's PSX which is much more "nostalgic" (if I was doing nostalgia, that is, which I try not to :) For somebody else it might be an entirely different system.

No the PS1 doesn't have more nostalgia than the NES/SNES do, likely never will,

I dunno.

My first system was a Coleco Gemini in 1983, followed by a 7800, an SMS, a Genesis, Sega CD, and 32x, 3D0 and then a Sony Playstation - but I've never owned a single Nintendo console in my life (didn't want 'em, didn't like 'em) so the PSX/PS1 has WAAAAAAY more nostalgia for me.

I realize this is a personal anecdote - but there it is.

• Like 3

Citation needed. Because Sony Playstation almost as much as both NES and SNES put together, and arrived just a few years later. 100 million customers plus more than twenty years equals a lot of potential nostalgia.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-09-21 at 11.38.47 AM.png

I'm not saying the numbers on that page aren't correct - but I would question why it doesn't even list the Atari 7800 at all, when it sold nearly 4 million units.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 1

I think it is simply that Sony wanted in on the retro craze and the original playstation was their first console, so they released the PS mini at the earliest reasonable time. I'm not sure a third party would have chosen the PS as the next mini console release. I expect Microsoft to announce the upcoming release of the xbox mini in the near future. :-D

• Like 2

Yep.. after the 5200 vs. Colecovision debacle I made sure to have every major console and that's why I love most of them. But, I don't have any nostalgia for the Commodore systems, the Neo Geo, the 3DO, etc.. because I never had them! It's all about the experiences you had obviously, you can't have "nostalgia" for something you didn't experience. :)

Crazy to think how inferior the OG Gameboy was to the Atari Lynx (which I absolutely loved while I loathed and sold off my OG Gameboy) and Sega Game Gear, but blew those away like a hammer hitting flies.

Hey as someone who bought all 3 at launch and had my pick of the libraries.. it was pure software.. but then also the battery life :lol:. The Gameboy had those NES style experiences with stages and bosses that the Lynx just didn't really give. There was only so much action gaming I could go with Blue Thunder, and Gates of Zendocon just seemed to never end. The GG games didn't seem well polished either. But with the Gameboy games like Contra, SML, Castlevania, etc., I don't know if I'm making any sense but Gameboy had the video game action that was in vogue at the time. It also didn't help that the Lynx took a lot of batteries and didn't last long.. when I broke the adapter socket that was the beginning of the end of me putting in serious Lynx playtime. Bottom line is if my experience is on par with the consumers at the time, I definitely bought a lot more Gameboy games in the early days than I did Lynx & GG titles.

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

Yep.. after the 5200 vs. Colecovision debacle I made sure to have every major console and that's why I love most of them. But, I don't have any nostalgia for the Commodore systems, the Neo Geo, the 3DO, etc.. because I never had them! It's all about the experiences you had obviously, you can't have "nostalgia" for something you didn't experience. :)

Hey as someone who bought all 3 at launch and had my pick of the libraries.. it was pure software.. but then also the battery life :lol:. The Gameboy had those NES style experiences with stages and bosses that the Lynx just didn't really give. There was only so much action gaming I could go with Blue Thunder, and Gates of Zendocon just seemed to never end. The GG games didn't seem well polished either. But with the Gameboy games like Contra, SML, Castlevania, etc., I don't know if I'm making any sense but Gameboy had the video game action that was in vogue at the time. It also didn't help that the Lynx took a lot of batteries and didn't last long.. when I broke the adapter socket that was the beginning of the end of me putting in serious Lynx playtime. Bottom line is if my experience is on par with the consumers at the time, I definitely bought a lot more Gameboy games in the early days than I did Lynx & GG titles.

The Gameboy had the advantage of being cheaper, having a much better library, and not being a battery hog. Technical superiority was the Lynx's only advantage and it wasn't enough.

Edited by mbd30

I'm not saying the numbers on that page aren't correct - but I would question why it doesn't even list the Atari 7800 at all, when it sold nearly 4 million units.

Because I snipped it right after Vita. It's on Wikipedia?

checks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

Nope, not there. Perhaps because the 7800 numbers aren't verified? You could always edit it if you have a source for the unit sales.

• Like 1

Because I snipped it right after Vita. It's on Wikipedia?

checks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

Nope, not there. Perhaps because the 7800 numbers aren't verified? You could always edit it if you have a source for the unit sales.

LOL... that's exactly what I did. "Oh, well it's been cropped out... oh... no it hasn't... hmm..."

Maybe they considered the 7800 an expansion of the 2600...

Besides being cheaper and not being a battery hog (not including library as I am just looking at the hardware), it also was more portable. Also, Nintendo had crap tons more developers for games than Atari could hope to procure at that time. Still, I really enjoyed the Lynx and never felt let down by its library nor the hardware, unlike the OG Gameboy, which I did not like the hardware and got rid of it when it was still relevant. That being said, Nintendo won out big time and has gone on to make really good handhelds like the 3DS. I really like that and think it is about as good as it can get in a handheld.

The Gameboy had the advantage of being cheaper, having a much better library, and not being a battery hog. Technical superiority was the Lynx's only advantage and it wasn't enough.

I pre-ordered mine a soon as the Walmart Canada made it available. I have a C64 Mini on pre-order, too. I'll be trying to get an Atari Flashback 9 Premium Deluxe Gold Rumble Pepperoni when that comes out. I'm a sucker for these things.

You know what my biggest wish is? I wish Nintendo would handle the production of a new SEGA Genesis Classic in lieu of AT Games. Just because.

Most of those 3000/month are in Japan, as you'd expect. According to this, only 32 were sold across the USA last month. My perception could well be skewed because my Vita, PSP, PSTV, and PS3 are in storage, not hooked up. Too many games.

http://www.vgchartz.com/

I was wrong about Vita no longer being produced, that hasn't happened yet, but is coming very soon. They're shutting down physical game production first. I stand by my prediction that this won't be another mini Vita, but it would be neat to be proven wrong, as that's a versatile, relatively powerful platform for running old games. Hackable, too.

Sony announced that they are shutting down Vita system production in 2019. It could possibly be the last and most powerful dedicated handheld.

Nostalgia, well proper nostalgia, not the various bastardizations made up in recent years, has to do with what you played growing up. Just like I'll likely not have nostalgia for more modern consoles, the PlayStation is plenty old enough that there are many adults now that likely had that as a first system. 20 years from now, there may be mini Xbox one and ps4 consoles too.

Unlike nintendo, which is relying on 40 something's to buy it (for themselves, or their kids) PlayStation is relying on late teens to mid 20 something's just getting into work with massive disposable incomes, real or perceived. Remember those dates when you got your first job and felt like you owned the world? Yeah that.

That said, if half the care is taken with psmini that Nintendo took with theirs, this thing has the potential to blow that out of the water, figuratively speaking.

• Like 1