IGNORED

PlayStation Classic (mini) is coming...............

Nostalgia, well proper nostalgia, not the various bastardizations made up in recent years, has to do with what you played growing up. Just like I'll likely not have nostalgia for more modern consoles, the PlayStation is plenty old enough that there are many adults now that likely had that as a first system. 20 years from now, there may be mini Xbox one and ps4 consoles too.

Unlike nintendo, which is relying on 40 something's to buy it (for themselves, or their kids) PlayStation is relying on late teens to mid 20 something's just getting into work with massive disposable incomes, real or perceived. Remember those dates when you got your first job and felt like you owned the world? Yeah that.

That said, if half the care is taken with psmini that Nintendo took with theirs, this thing has the potential to blow that out of the water, figuratively speaking.

The Playstation and SNES are only 4 years apart in age. Thats pretty dang close. Im 35 now and have nostalgia for playing all 3 systems as a kid.

• Like 3

I don't, really. Seems like another strawman, this time a Xbox-bigging up one. So Sony's masterplan was to hold back on BC just so they can release the Mini? And not because thy're simply riding a wave of nostalgia novelty items which are mostly bought as collectors items or presents?

Yeah, it has nothing to do with holding anything back, just a difference in strategy. Sony would rather deliver backwards-compatibility via its somewhat-flawed PlayStation Now, which is the ideal revenue stream, known and recurring. Microsoft's backwards-compatibility strategy of running original discs and digital downloads is far better for gamers, but has lower revenue generating potential (offset somewhat by their solid Xbox Game Pass, which again is "known and recurring").

Something like the PlayStation Classic is a slam dunk type of product, just like the NES Mini was always going to be (and was an obvious product for years before its release). It's also interesting that Sony is interesting a yet higher price point here at $99. That may open up further interesting possibilities in the mainstream market, just like the NES/SNES Mini prices of $79.99 did.

• Like 2

Hopefully that USB cord powers off any TV for the device, or the price for many would be like another $10 higher. The NES at $60, SNES at $80 with 2 controllers, them at $100 with 2 and no AC block, and SNK with $110 on NG Mini. That's where we are with this now, not even touching on Sega since they've yet to do their own stuff.

Man, Nintendo has absolutely dominated the handheld market. Crazy to think how inferior the OG Gameboy was to the Atari Lynx (which I absolutely loved while I loathed and sold off my OG Gameboy) and Sega Game Gear, but blew those away like a hammer hitting flies.

Now I would like to see that: somebody hitting a fly with a hammer. Probably harder than with chopsticks.

• Like 2

Some games I would Love to see (on top of the five or so that we know, especially Tekken 3 and Jumping Flash!):

Einhander

Tobal No. 1

Medal of Honor (and MOH Underground)

Crash Team Racing

Parappa the Rapper (and UmJammer Lammy)

Disruptor

Spider

Powerslave

Tecmo's Deception

Buster Bros. Collection

This has definitely piqued my interest. The original PlayStation was my first real console, so the nostalgia is there for me. Right now I don't have an enormous urge to pre-order it though. That might change with the lineup, but I'm content with emulation or the real deal. It's certainly not a gift I'd scoff at. I might feel differently if it were cheaper, even though it is a good deal as it stands. The fact they have Tekken 3 included is a huge plus. That or Tekken Tag might be my favorite fighter. Now if Sega somehow managed to do something similar with the Dreamcast, it would be a no brainer for me.

Edited by xenomorpher
  • Like 1

Hardware sales don't just mean it's more for nostalgia. A lot of what made Sony as powerful as it was on that era was the franchises they ripped from the NES/SNES era where they got started. Couple that with the ongoing hard on now for 'retro' style 8 and 16bit games that keep the Nintendo stuff more relevant than much of anything else, that is what I was basing that comment on.

Due to that list, might as well say that the Wii in time will be the most amazing and nostalgic console Nintendo will ever have, same with the DS for handheld too. People don't always care how big the hardware sold, even if it's a huge factor, it's what it supplied and what people look back great on.

I agree w/ you that at-time hardware sales don't actually translate to long-term nostalgia (doubt many are nostalgic for the Wii for instance), and that works both ways too (which is why I usually shrug off people who write off a Saturn mini; the system's post-market reputation is much stronger than it was during its commercial run. Also there's this thing called "marketing"...)...

...that said, I need to know some of the names of those franchises you're referring to. The big ones I can think of are Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest; both of those were monsters in Japan for PS1 and FF reached its zenith w/ PS1 and became mainstream in America during that time. Aside from that though.....Contra? Contra almost died during the 32-bit era. Mega-Man? They did OK, but were never the marquee draws for PS1. Street Fighter? Tekken ate its lunch and then some. Mortal Kombat? Okay UMK3 did really big at PS1's launch but that franchise fell off right after that.

Honest truth is while PS1 built its *style* off of SNES and MegaDrive that gen, the actual games that helped it grow big were either new IP or non Nintendo/SEGA platform IPs. Stuff like Contra and ThunderForce may've seen PS releases eventually, but it was stuff like Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer, Tekken, Destruction Derby, Twisted Metal, Loaded!, Rayman and later Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid (an MXS-exclusive series until then), Silent Hill etc. that were the marquee pushers of the system. Almost all of those were either adaptations of obscure IP from niche Japanese computers (like Metal Gear), or all-out new IPs, not sequels of continuing IPs from Nintendo and SEGA systems prior.

Yeah, really gotta commend them for OG Xbox compatibility. If they can get all the SEGA stuff compatible, and the odd stuff like the Blinx Games and Otogi, AND just transfer it straight to the next Xbox, I might indeed be picking up an Xbox for the first time since the 360...

...of course, I want more juicy 1st party offerings too, but I'm looking at it more as a possible neat/all-in-one gaming box in terms of next-gen and retro games. I'd like to see them eventually add official support for other non Sony/Nintendo platforms and give them the polish they've been giving the OG Xbox stuff. Really could be a solid market for MS to corner.

Whyyyyyy do people have such a hardon for Jumping Flash? Was it really that popular? I only tried it in the PS3 era when I bought it as a PS1 classic, and I thought it was awful. Weird and confusing and not at all fun. Maybe I'm just missing the requisite nostalgia.

It would have been incredibly groundbreaking at the time of release. I've never played it so I don't know how much fun it is now.

I can't say I remember Jumping Flash...at all. I think that the games choice will be just as random as the Nintendo stuff...some heavy hitters, but also some wtf ones. I pray they don't include Gran Turismo...that game will play horribly sans analog sticks. RR4 will be sadly without as well...reminding me of the hell that was Ridge Racer using a DPad on early PS1. Not dealbreakers overall as I have played the shit out of GT, but...I would laugh if they included ALL Resident Evils for PS1!

• Like 1

I can't say I remember Jumping Flash...at all. I think that the games choice will be just as random as the Nintendo stuff...some heavy hitters, but also some wtf ones. I pray they don't include Gran Turismo...that game will play horribly sans analog sticks. RR4 will be sadly without as well...reminding me of the hell that was Ridge Racer using a DPad on early PS1. Not dealbreakers overall as I have played the shit out of GT, but...I would laugh if they included ALL Resident Evils for PS1!

Do you think that they might sell an analog stick separately as a cash grab? The racing games are going to need it.

I loved Gran Turismo but I don't want to play it with digital controls.

There's no hope for Gran Turismo I suspect. Too many licenses and it was one of the big selling points for upgrading to a Dual Shock.

Ridge Racer Type IV is playable enough with the d-pad, but I'm still surprised it's not the original Ridge Racer. It was developed with digital control in mind and it's an iconic launch title for the system. When people look back at the PS1 and Ridge Racer is mentioned, it's the original that people most remember.

Not that RRIV isn't excellent. It's very fun and a technical marvel for the PS1 that looks more like an early PS2 title than a PS1 game. But between nostalgia and the control issues, I'm a bit puzzled why this one got the nod (Not that the original Ridge Racer isn't a possibility still for inclusion, but I bet we don't get multiple games from a single franchise).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

There's no hope for Gran Turismo I suspect. Too many licenses ...

... I bet we don't get multiple games from a single franchise).

True about licenses... up until now, I had just been thinking about music licenses, but Gran Turismo also has all those car brand licenses... so I really doubt it'll be on there...

Also, I've been saying the same thing about the multiple games from a single franchise. People are saying, "The Spyro and Crash games better be on there..." Really? Like all of them? So you want close to half of all the remaining games on the system to be filled from just two franchises? I can see maybe one from each... but even then, they both just had HD updates or whatever, so I kinda doubt even one.

They're going to have a wide mix of games on here to appeal to the widest array of consumers possible. They could fill it with nothing but RPGs or 3D platformers or whatever, but they won't.

However, that being said... there is that gold Famicom mini that has a very specific audience (Shonen Jump I think it was?). So special editions are a possibility...

• Like 1

There's no hope for Gran Turismo I suspect. Too many licenses and it was one of the big selling points for upgrading to a Dual Shock.

Ridge Racer Type IV is playable enough with the d-pad, but I'm still surprised it's not the original Ridge Racer. It was developed with digital control in mind and it's an iconic launch title for the system. When people look back at the PS1 and Ridge Racer is mentioned, it's the original that people most remember.

Not that RRIV isn't excellent. It's very fun and a technical marvel for the PS1 that looks more like an early PS2 title than a PS1 game. But between nostalgia and the control issues, I'm a bit puzzled why this one got the nod (Not that the original Ridge Racer isn't a possibility still for inclusion, but I bet we don't get multiple games from a single franchise).

Ridge Racer IV is arguably the best in the whole franchise, and makes the original look like the relic it is. Don't get me wrong, RR1 is probably the most well-known, but in this case they made the smart decision going with IV. Besides, even at the time of its release RR 1 was more than outclassed by Daytona USA in virtually everything but the OST (which I guess is an acquired taste; personally I find the rave-influenced RR tunes pretty damn fun).

I wish they'd include Rage Racer tho; kind of the black sheep of the series, but did a lot of neat things and was clearly the building blocks for R4.

I really don't want the usual PS1 games that we've played a million times over included with the PS Classic. I'd love to see stuff like Omega Boost, Jet Moto 2, Tomba!, Dino Crisis 2, Klonoa, Einhander, Vanark, ect...

Can't state how on-point this is. If people want to preserve or help retro gaming grow healthily, we can't keep pushing the same damn 4-5 games over and over again. Like, I really enjoy Resident Evil 2, but playing it for the millionth time or seeing retro gamers and streamers playing it YET AGAIN for the nth time and honestly, it just gets boring. I know gaming's about relaxing with what you're comfortable with but the streamers in particular...you guys are supposed to be entertainers, learn to switch it up!

Putting some of those classics that went underappreciated in their heyday would only help give more a spotlight on those games, at least among the genuine types who aren't going to let lack of nostalgia make them unfairly dog the game when something they probably have nostalgia for has all those same mistakes or worst. And that's assuming the games even have such flaws; imo stuff like Klonoa, Einhander, the Tomba! games, Omega Boost are still as on-point today as they were when released (altho I guess the quest hints in Tomba! are sometimes a bit too obfuscated if you're not using a guide or FAQ, and you're trying to 100% it. But that's a very minor complaint.)