IGNORED

Choplifter! (Atari 2600)

MemberAtarian

Update - 2018.10.14.:

Larger playfield for ya:

Update - 2018.10.09.:

I would say game is near to be finished, hope the bugs won't appear (sometimes the sound is not the best and the counter for extra life is a bit off). I checked for days, there shouldn't be any scanline issues.
So, as I mentioned, you get an extra life for every 1000 points. At the beginning, it's really easy to get! I added two enemies, one of them is from the original game, the airplane, fast and annyoing, you get a lot of points for killing it, because it's nearly impossible. The other one is from Defender, the alien is after the people you saved and grabs one. You can save the poor thing if you shoot down the alien and get him in air!

Thankfully I could make the playerscores minikernel compatible with the multisprite kernel by editing an older version Karl G made from the really old version of CurtisP, so now I'm unstoppable. :) I really want to be fateful to the original game that was one of my favorites on the Commodore C64.

There will be one to three person in every prison and you can progress after freeing every hostage of 3 prisons.

Stay tuned!

The title music if from Airwolf. :)

ChoplifterNTSC 0.07.bas.bin

ChoplifterNTSC 0.13.bas.bin

ChoplifterNTSC 0.44.bas.bin

ChoplifterNTSC 0.55.bas.bin

ChoplifterNTSC 0.94.bas.bin

ChoplifterNTSC 0.97.bas.bin

ChoplifterPAL60 0.97.bas.bin

Edited by MemberAtarian
  • Like 10

Thankfully I could make the playerscores minikernel compatible with the multisprite kernel by editing an older version Karl G made from the really old version of CurtisP, so now I'm unstoppable. :) I really want to be fateful to the original game that was one of my favorites on the Commodore C64.

There will be one to three person in every prison and you can progress after freeing every hostage of 3 prisons.

Finally! A ROM of Choplifter! (after 3 other programmers attempted it)

Finally! A ROM of Choplifter! (after 3 other programmers attempted it)

One of the things that keeps me digging through old threads is the lore of "Atari programming" particularly the trials and tribulations. Has anyone made a project out of curating all the fascinating homebrew stories?

And it's not just the successfully released games, it's also the failures, the grandiose claims, the evolution of the algorithms, and the struggle to understand the platform. Documenting the notable failures might be embarrassing to some, but it's also an interesting part of the record.

• Like 1

One of the things that keeps me digging through old threads is the lore of "Atari programming" particularly the trials and tribulations. Has anyone made a project out of curating all the fascinating homebrew stories?

And it's not just the successfully released games, it's also the failures, the grandiose claims, the evolution of the algorithms, and the struggle to understand the platform. Documenting the notable failures might be embarrassing to some, but it's also an interesting part of the record.

Yep. It's interesting to look through all those projects, not only the finished games.

And here's a good example of a failed project (though i *might* get back to it one day...):

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/129467-problem-with-player1color-and-pfscroll-need-help/

:lol:

I also had failures.

1. My first attempt to make a TBS for the VCS was failed, because I couldn't make the playerscore minikernel compatible with the multisprite kernel. Now it's done, so Dystopia will be started from the very beginning. I have also fresh ideas. :)

2. Gloria was just not working. Boring gameplay and the halo kept going through everyhing because of the flicker. I had to rethink my idea, that turned out as Fear of the Dark.

• Like 1

This was the one I talked about. There are a lot of things I like in it (the detailed backgrond for example, or the moving tank in you basement), but the units lack animation (this is something I always point out, the VCS is capable more) and it's just too different for a Choplifter demake. But it would be a nice standalone game.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This looks and plays REALLY well MemberAtarianl! I'm looking forward to showing it live on ZeroPage Homebrew in an upcoming episode but the line count strays a lot from 262 (at various times to 263, 264, 267 and others) which would make the screen jump and cut out on non-CRT systems and through video capture hardware like mine.

Press ALT-L to have the line count on the screen on Stella and watch for the line count of 262 to jump into the red to see this in action or press ~ to go into debug mode and watch the number move frame by frame with the left joystick button pushed in below as I've done.

I'll keep an eye on this, great job!

EDIT: Never mind about the scanline comments, you know all about them. Sorry about that! :-)

post-37205-0-42449500-1538440485.png

Edited by cimmerian

This looks and plays REALLY well MemberAtarianl! I'm looking forward to showing it live on ZeroPage Homebrew in an upcoming episode but the line count strays a lot from 262 (at various times to 263, 264, 267 and others) which would make the screen jump and cut out on non-CRT systems and through video capture hardware like mine.

Press ALT-L to have the line count on the screen on Stella and watch for the line count of 262 to jump into the red to see this in action or press ~ to go into debug mode and watch the number move frame by frame with the left joystick button pushed in below as I've done.

I'll keep an eye on this, great job!

EDIT: Never mind about the scanline comments, you know all about them. Sorry about that! :-)

attachicon.gifChoplifter.PNG

It only happens as there is the cannon and the tank is at the same time on the same screen, but it seems like it has nothing to do with the lenght of the code, I put there a secondary drawscreen and it had no effect. :/

• Like 1

Great work on the update MemberAtarian, it's really stable now! We'll be playing Choplifter! on ZeroPage Homebrew's Twitch stream tonight at 6PM PT/9PM ET!

http://www.twitch.com/zeropagehomebrew

attachicon.gif20181003-Let's Play.png

You know, it's not finished yet! There will be a new enemy, an easter egg and I have to code +1up as well!

• Like 1

No problem MemberAtarian, we let people know last night when we showed the game that it's not done yet and that this is an early version of it. We often show early builds of games on the stream so they can see great new homebrew that is coming out. :-)

Great job on the game, really looking forward to seeing new versions as they come out!

You know, it's not finished yet! There will be a new enemy, an easter egg and I have to code +1up as well!

No problem MemberAtarian, we let people know last night when we showed the game that it's not done yet and that this is an early version of it. We often show early builds of games on the stream so they can see great new homebrew that is coming out. :-)

Great job on the game, really looking forward to seeing new versions as they come out!

Tomorrow I get some ST mouses, so my next game will have mouse support as well, haha. Lots of plans, lot to do. :D

I would say game is near to be finished, hope the bugs won't appear (sometimes the sound is not the best and the counter for extra life is a bit off). I checked for days, there shouldn't be any scanline issues.

So, as I mentioned, you get an extra life for every 1000 points. At the beginning, it's really easy to get! I added two enemies, one of them is from the original game, the airplane, fast and annyoing, you get a lot of points for killing it, because it's nearly impossible. The other one is from Defender, the alien is after the people you saved and grabs one. You can save the poor thing if you shoot down the alien and get him in air!

ChoplifterNTSC 0.94.bas.bin

• Like 1