IGNORED

TIPI and Mass Transfer

9640News

I've been making progress and now have Mass Transfer (40 columns) talking with Telnet BBS's using TIPI. I ran out of time this evening to get the XMODEM transfer code completed, but it is very close to be done.

After the XMODEM code is done, I am going to tackle the phone directory. First goal is to get Telnet BBS's listed in the directory.

I will have the following BBS's in the directory:

9640NewsBBS.ddns.net:9640

Fusionbbs.ddns.net:9640

Heatwave.ddns.net:9640

If you have others you want listed in the default listing, please post their URL and port numbers here.

There will have to be some XB recoding "I think" for the phone make/edit utility at some point in time. It will initially be easier to sector edit the phone list first to confirm the assembly coding is working, then work on the XB coding as needed.

So, please post any BBS's that are Telnet accessible you want listed.

Beery

• Like 2

I've been making progress and now have Mass Transfer (40 columns) talking with Telnet BBS's using TIPI. I ran out of time this evening to get the XMODEM transfer code completed, but it is very close to be done.

After the XMODEM code is done, I am going to tackle the phone directory. First goal is to get Telnet BBS's listed in the directory.

I will have the following BBS's in the directory:

9640NewsBBS.ddns.net:9640

Fusionbbs.ddns.net:9640

Heatwave.ddns.net:9640

If you have others you want listed in the default listing, please post their URL and port numbers here.

There will have to be some XB recoding "I think" for the phone make/edit utility at some point in time. It will initially be easier to sector edit the phone list first to confirm the assembly coding is working, then work on the XB coding as needed.

So, please post any BBS's that are Telnet accessible you want listed.

Beery

thekeep.net 23

• Like 1

I got the 4 BBS's listed above added to a dialing directory, and got the phonebook working last night. As far as the extended basic program that adds entries, etc., that will come a bit later. At present, I just sector edited the PHONE1 file. Next, need to add some code if the telnet connection is busy. Not an issue with my BBS as I have my BBS setup with 20 inbound connections. Everyone else has I think only a single connection.

After that, then a manual way from within Mass Transfer to dial a new website. Not hard.

Then, Tim's request for the toggle for the IAC character and toggle for TI/Myarc mode. Then, need to redo some menus.

Beery

• Like 4

OK, I have 4 websites configured in the Phone directory at present (9640News, Fusion, HeatWave, The Keep). I've got Xmodem implemented.

I have not tried saving files to TIPI's DSKx drives yet, rather to actual 5.25" floppies. Need to test/see if that works to TIPI's DSK directories.

It is 40 columns, no ANSI. I do not have source for any ANSI terminal emulators with Xmodem capability.

Question for TIPI users, will anyone use Mass Transfer with the Phone directory and Xmodem capability?

Trying to figure out how much I need to polish up the program for release. I will release the source code so others can implement TIPI's communications in assembly for their programs, etc.

Beery

Question for TIPI users, will anyone use Mass Transfer with the Phone directory and Xmodem capability?

I used to use the F18A version of TIMXT when I still used a UDS-10 with an RS-232. I loved the phone directory, even if it had to be modified with a sector editor. Currently, as a TIPI user I've been using the TELNET program that comes with TIPI. It's great as it handles the ANSI graphics in 80 columns perfectly. Sadly though there is no Xmodem file transfer capability or dialing menu.

My 'ultimate' wish list' for a TIPI compatible terminal program for the TI...

1) 80 Column ANSI graphics.

2) Fully editable dialing menu (similar in design and application to Telco's).

3) Xmodem file transfer capability (It's been a while since I've been able to upload to the BBS).

4) Macros (auto scripting the login to the BBS would be nice).

• Like 1

OK, I have 4 websites configured in the Phone directory at present (9640News, Fusion, HeatWave, The Keep). I've got Xmodem implemented.

Hi Beery,

your post inspired me to spend all day Saturday trying to bring up a telnet TI-Net BBS.

most of that was troubleshooting my Lantronix (an ETS-4P model). My current router, ASUS RT68U, doesn't like it! Wireshark shows that Lantronix convinced ASUS to rename my Roku to ETS-4P-xxxxx (at a completely unrelated DHCP IP!) while pointing out that all the Lantronix DHCP packets have framing errors.

I sort of got it working, but I think it will be easier to ditch the Lantronix and just connect NanoPEB to my Centos box and write a tiny server program. Lantronix is nice in that it implements DSR/DTR just like a modem.

Next Saturday maybe.

I wonder if you got a WiModem232 whether that would be better than the Lantronix setup. I've got a WiModem232 on my Geneve and would prefer to be using the TIPI if it would work on a stock Geneve, but sadly, the issue has not been resolved yet and Matt doesn't have the hardware to figure it out.

tcpser works well to provide functionality similar to the UDS device. Some time ago, Shift838 provided me with a version that sorted out the IAC Telnet issues. I use tcpser with a real serial port on one of my old Shuttle SFF PCs whenever I want to connect my nanoPEB to the outside world. I also have the wimodem232 for my Geneve.

I used to use the F18A version of TIMXT when I still used a UDS-10 with an RS-232. I loved the phone directory, even if it had to be modified with a sector editor. Currently, as a TIPI user I've been using the TELNET program that comes with TIPI. It's great as it handles the ANSI graphics in 80 columns perfectly. Sadly though there is no Xmodem file transfer capability or dialing menu.

My 'ultimate' wish list' for a TIPI compatible terminal program for the TI...

1) 80 Column ANSI graphics.

2) Fully editable dialing menu (similar in design and application to Telco's).

3) Xmodem file transfer capability (It's been a while since I've been able to upload to the BBS).

4) Macros (auto scripting the login to the BBS would be nice).

Proper ANSI too, Matt and I went back and forth a few times with TELNET to get it to work correctly with the ANSI on my BBS

Greg

Tim,

I found the last "glitch" this evening with using the TIPI. Everything would work fine on my BBS downloading files, but on either Fusion or Heatwave, I kept getting all kinds of errors. Finally, it dawned on me I was not testing if I had received a character. With my BBS on a Windows 10, the PI was buffering the block that was being transferred. However, with Heatwave and Fusion, the TI on my end was waiting on characters from those BBS's as they could not pump out the data quick enough.

So, I did successfully transfer multiple files from Heatwave and uploaded a couple of files to the test area.

It should be good to go now.

Beery

• Like 1

It is working within the limitations of Mass Transfer. TIPIs get and receive character routines require more CPU cycles than direct addressing of the RS232 port.

It does do XMODEM file transfers and has a phone directory for BBS Telnet sessions which nothing else has at present.

I would have thought the screen displays is running close to 2400 baud, but that is me. If you are really seeing stuff you think is at 110 baud, then I think something else may be going on.

What hardware do you have in your system? PEBox TIPI or sidecar TIPI?

Beery

I see what you are talking about. it does not behave like that on my system, so something must be very different.

Let me know how the TIPI-PEBox version test proceeds.

What version of the Raspberry PI do you have? How does the TIPI client behave in regular 40 column mode (non-ANSI)? I am using a Version 3.

If your TIPI-PEBox version runs faster than than the sidecar version and you are using different Raspberry PI's, then I think it is time to swap the PI's around and see if things change.

We need to get some feedback from some other Raspberry PI users with Mass Transfer to see if there is something we can isolate unique between your system and mine.

Myself, I have a HRD, HFDC, Myarc 512K, TIPI, with NO RS232 card in the system.

Beery

Hopefully this works.

It works. Sorry for the bad typing in the video, but honestly from a speed perspective it's not bad at all.

I'm using an the P-Box TIPI RPi 3. Besides the TIPI, the only other non standard cards in my box are a 1024K SAMS and a CorComp Triple Tech. I've also removed the RS-232 cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saWOHpYGFVs&feature=youtu.be

Wow... it feels weird going back to 40 columns in two colors.

if the speeds are not the same, then we (I) need to ask:

1. What version of the Raspberry PI do you have?

2. Are you using side card or PEBox TIPI?

3. What devices do you have attached?

I did leave some RS232 code in the software for log buffers/printing. On my system, the RS232 card was pulled, not an issue. If users are seeing something slow, compare with and without an RS232 card in the system as I could see no other reason for the system to be running at different speeds.

Does anyon if the sidecar 32K that is working with the sidecar TIPI, has the same memory speeds? Just wondering if there could be an impact on memory speeds slowing things down.

Beery