IGNORED

The Mummy's Tomb

Retrospect

This is the final revision of my game. It's got all sorts of extra stuff thrown in now including a bonus stage between levels where you have to jump over snakes in a tunnel on your way to the next room.

EA5 files for download here; can be turned into a cartridge bin file too.

newmummytomb.zip

post-34058-0-42982500-1537723745_thumb.png

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 8

Nicely done! I love the opening title screen, although if you got speed mode turned on in Classic99 it zips right by...

You might have a previous version of Classic99 whereby the CPU Throttle mode does that sort of thing? The latest version solves that.

Have you managed to collect all 20 pieces of treasure? I can't! I had to cheat to do it.

To cheat, break the program and type

200 CALL COLOR(12,16,1)

:)

I do have an earlier version indeed. :) I'll be sure to upgrade.

I only played it once, I'm technically at work. :D But yes, it IS very difficult. Unless someone has a very good eidetic memory, it's probably going to be difficult to win without cheating.

A suggestion on how to bypass that is to have individual traps "flash" occasionally. That way even after both torches are expended you have a means of potentially seeing a trap before walking into one. Coding wise, you'd probably have to store the coordinates of all the traps (two string arrays for row and column would work) So you could do a quick flash, maybe when a counter value runs to zero on your main loop.

A suggestion on how to bypass that is to have individual traps "flash" occasionally. That way even after both torches are expended you have a means of potentially seeing a trap before walking into one. Coding wise, you'd probably have to store the coordinates of all the traps (two string arrays for row and column would work) So you could do a quick flash, maybe when a counter value runs to zero on your main loop.

Well ... there's an old game called "Chalice" which has you moving through old ruins of a temple in the night time during a thunderstorm, and that game flashes the walls of the temple up everytime there's a thunderclap. Then back to darkness. I guess it would be easy to do this for my Mummy's Tomb game? Each time the player (or the mummy) makes a move, say two variables are paired (R1=INT(4*RND)+1 and R2=INT(4*RND)+1) and if R1 is same as R2 then CALL COLOR(12,16,1) for just a split second then back to black. See the way I think is that having a constant timer running in a stock TI Basic game could slow down gameplay by 50 percent easily :)

EDIT:

Just tried it. Makes game too easy!

Edited by Retrospect

Well ... there's an old game called "Chalice" which has you moving through old ruins of a temple in the night time during a thunderstorm, and that game flashes the walls of the temple up everytime there's a thunderclap. Then back to darkness. I guess it would be easy to do this for my Mummy's Tomb game? Each time the player (or the mummy) makes a move, say two variables are paired (R1=INT(4*RND)+1 and R2=INT(4*RND)+1) and if R1 is same as R2 then CALL COLOR(12,16,1) for just a split second then back to black. See the way I think is that having a constant timer running in a stock TI Basic game could slow down gameplay by 50 percent easily :)

EDIT:

Just tried it. Makes game too easy!

A common problem in game design. :) Coming up with the right balance of difficulty!

• Like 1

mummyXB.zip

Here's the 32K Extended Basic version (there's an EA5 version in the folder too)

Enhancements:

Animated sequence where the man blows a hole in the pyramid to get into it, on the title screen

Better sounds

There's 3 mummies on the rampage in the tombs

Everytime you succeed in collecting all the treasure you "level up" and different style treasure with different colours appear in the next room. (Will not change after level 10 but you'd have to be insane to GET to level 10)

There's sometimes more than two torches in the room

High score will score up to 32767 (you'll basically never get that far)

Each time you level up there's more treasure and more traps in the rooms!

The lengthy title screen music will play only once and then when you die and it goes back to title screen it's silent so you can get straight back into the game

Happy Friday! :)

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 3

here is a cart bin

score 69 level 4 later levels you seem to finish without getting all the treasures dunno if that's by design

icon_smile.gif

Thanks Gregory, and for the cart bin .... it's not by design no ... seems something might have cropped up ... well, I'm just sat finishing off the "final" version now, with 6 lives, 4 mummies, extra text, extra music, and I know why it's doing what it does it's just struck me now! When you progress to the next level, there's more treasure and more traps. The only thing that didn't get "more" was the counter for the treasure it's stuck at 20!!! Darn it. Hey thanks for the heads up. This'll be fixed real quick :)

If anyone would like to put my finalized version on any sites feel free. It's shareware. It'll be ready in about half hour!

• Like 1

Very nice! A couple of suggestions:

-You might want to restore the instructions that were in the TI BASIC version.

-It might be interesting to have the sound of footsteps that started to echo more strongly when you got near a trap. (I take it the traps are holes that you fall into, so an echo would make sense.) You wouldn't know if the trap is in front of you or to the sides so this may not convey any useful information. Food for thought.

-If you haven't already done so, make sure you can't get trapped by the initial setup. i.e. you're in the upper left corner with traps to the right and below.

Just scored 89. Pretty sure the max score of 32767 is safe!

• Like 1

Very nice! A couple of suggestions:

-You might want to restore the instructions that were in the TI BASIC version.

-It might be interesting to have the sound of footsteps that started to echo more strongly when you got near a trap. (I take it the traps are holes that you fall into, so an echo would make sense.) You wouldn't know if the trap is in front of you or to the sides so this may not convey any useful information. Food for thought.

-If you haven't already done so, make sure you can't get trapped by the initial setup. i.e. you're in the upper left corner with traps to the right and below.

Just scored 89. Pretty sure the max score of 32767 is safe!

Thanks for trying the game, Senior_Falcon. :)

Yeah, the instructions are back in the game now, at least a sort of prologue text anyhow .... (forthcoming finalized version) .... as for the footsteps thing, it would be a bit beyond my scope to do so, at least it would bump up the byte count a little too far, the way it's all coded. I've redone some things, there's 6 lives now, randomly a heart will appear that is an extra life, there's a way to tell where the traps are too if you have chance to watch the movement of the mummies (there's four of them in this new version coming up) ... they will skirt around the traps ... it's see-able just about. :)

TOMB32K.zip

Thanks to everyone who played so far. And again to Gregory for pointing out an issue the previous version had which has been fixed now.

Senior_Falcon's footsteps volume idea is excellent.... but too difficult for me to work into the code... but there are now six lives, and a random chance of a heart symbol appearing in the tomb for another life plus you get a bonus life every level you get through.

Watch the motion of the mummies, (all four of them!) they do skirt around the invisible traps.

Sometimes you get three torches in the tomb to help you out more.

Text added as a prologue/instructions type thing.

Music and text will play the first time you play the game then if you play again in the same session it skips this and just goes to the animation where Mr Banner fires the TNT to blow his way into the Pyramid.

Also if you've ever watched any of the old Mummy films you'll recognise the music I've used. :)

• Like 4

nice one Greg, tried to do it myself but I always fail! lol

with modulecreator it's pretty damn easy.. you just have to convert the files to be v9t9 as Fred only uses that format.. I put the files in a folder under c:\modulecreator\ then use ti99dir to convert them to v9t9.. then run it.. works every time

Greg

• Like 2