IGNORED

HRD (Horizon Ramdisk) 2018

GDMike

Yeah, I saw this card on eBay for a couple hundred, I knew it was a gamble cause we're talking about a 40 year old piece of technology, ok, plastic- there I said it.. BUT knowing what this card can do in the PEUnit and it's access time compared to a floppy,plus I just love it! yeah I Know the newer NANOs are out and I sold mine to get this hrd, getting it back to a working hrd and a working PEB, I can take advantage of the SAMs card and Tforth. What's more cooler? Oh besides the F18A upgrade...I'm still waiting on that one.

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

post-39776-0-84790800-1541178563_thumb.jpg

post-39776-0-54921700-1541178619_thumb.jpg

post-39776-0-62786300-1541178668_thumb.jpg

post-39776-0-77690800-1541178737_thumb.jpg

post-39776-0-71181900-1541178763_thumb.jpg

post-39776-0-72245800-1541178802_thumb.jpg

I have these two Horizon ramdisks I'd like to put back into service.

The first one is a 2000 I think.

The second one a HRD+?

They both need the Horizon change #3.

I'd also like to expand them to thire max capacity, unless they already are.

Anyone out their willing help an old fart out?

My eyes just aren't good enough for me to do delicate work anymore.

Sweet! I'd love to see these up and running too! If you ever decide to part with them, definitely let me Know, but I don't know myself how to upgrade them. Hopefully someone will step up that can get it done for you. They are sweet! Good luck to you sir! You're in the right place!

The regulator output of 5v is correct and appropriate.

... which puts me on a design tangent track.

The voltage output as measured from the output pin against board ground is actually +5.7VDC (on the HRD+ at least, IIRC the other variants too). This is done to compensate for the voltage drop across the battery backup protection diode, and is done by connecting the 7805 ground pin to ground through a same-spec diode.

It's a neat trick to make a non-adjustable VR output a custom voltage, but drop-in switching replacements for the 7805 don't like it (definitely the CUI, maybe the Murata too). The Right Thing To Do is to replace the 7805 with, say, a switching LM317 workalike and set it for 5.7. That would require reworking the board, hence my silence when Opry99er mentioned the immediate heat concern.

If folks want, I can speak to the germanium diode wired-OR mess in a future post.

End design tangent :)

• Like 2

I saw some new switching ps on one of the posted boards. I love it. I didn't mention it, cause I know or I've heard about this ground issue.. so I doubt I could get one...hmmmmm??

Well, you could try the Murata replacement for the 7805 and replace the diode to ground with a wire. That'd run the whole board at +4.3VDC, though, and I'm not sure the TTL parts on your board would like that. My testbed is 100% CMOS, so it interoperates with the rest of the system okay (the logic highs are within TTL tolerance, at least) but for the time being go with a high-current 7805 please.

(the Murata datasheet has interesting disclaimers when used in a circuit like the HRD+: "The output is not intended to sink appreciable reverse current", for example :)

Edited by wileyc

Opry99er,

Thanks for the memories, it was a nice looking board and the guy that produced it Mike Ballumm (sp?) - was very knowledgeable. I was at the Chicago fair when these where released. Bud Mills about stroked out. I think the source of contention was that the original Ron Giles board and software was public domain the enhancements the Bud Mills service made where not.

d.

Yup, I've got one of those. Cause I am replacing the other. I read up on the power req for cards in general, with the exception of the RS232 I guess, most if not all cards have the 7805. I just thought it was too little Power for piggybacking chips and other harware. But to my surprise It was not the case. Also noting, running through the diode is strange to me too, but again, no diodes blown because if it I guess. As I dig deeper into the schematic, maybe I'll see more than I do now to help me understand it. Thanks for clarifying that for power req, 5.7 is fine.

*laugh* I learned a long time ago in Shenzhen: when schematics are published, the whole shebang is public domain. Keep your IP close and safe if you don't want it cloned.

the original Ron Giles board and software was public domain the enhancements the Bud Mills service made where not.

Yup, I've got one of those. Cause I am replacing the other. I read up on the power req for cards in general, with the exception of the RS232 I guess, most if not all cards have the 7805. I just thought it was too little Power for piggybacking chips and other harware. But to my surprise It was not the case. Also noting, running through the diode is strange to me too, but again, no diodes blown because if it I guess. As I dig deeper into the schematic, maybe I'll see more than I do now to help me understand it. Thanks for clarifying that for power req, 5.7 is fine.

Out of curiosity, how much EE chops do you have? I don't know what level I should use when talking hardware here.

Opry99er,

Thanks for the memories, it was a nice looking board and the guy that produced it Mike Ballumm (sp?) - was very knowledgeable. I was at the Chicago fair when these where released. Bud Mills about stroked out. I think the source of contention was that the original Ron Giles board and software was public domain the enhancements the Bud Mills service made where not.

d.

Interesting. I'd love to hear more. :)

Will you be at the Faire next weekend?