IGNORED

Moon Patrol hack !

TIX

Wasn't there a Heinlein book called 'The Emerald Hills of Luna?" ;)

Wouldn't doubt it. (wonder what inspired that title?)

I'm part of a LARP in Dallas where the kingdom is named "Emerald Hills" so I like to throw that in there.

What is funny is, in Dallas you can count on one, maybe two hands the amount of hills in DFW.

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

Wouldn't doubt it. (wonder what inspired that title?)

I'm part of a LARP in Dallas where the kingdom is named "Emerald Hills" so I like to throw that in there.

What is funny is, in Dallas you can count on one, maybe two hands the amount of hills in DFW.

I lived in Canyon Lake near San Antonio, "Hill Country" in Texas, it had hills that resemble the ones in Moon Patrol! The Heinlein remark was a joke, play on words, because he wrote a book called 'The Green Hills of Earth.' I'm a big Heinlein fan...and Asimov...

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Now that you have Moon Patrol Arcade finalized, are you guys up for more graphical updates on old Atari arcade ports? Because I have one in mind that I've always thought, like Moon Patrol, that it had ugly sprites that could be done far better and with proper colors too. It's been hacked to death for new race tracks, but never for new graphics. POLE POSITION. The cars desperately need help, the explosion desperately needs help and even the road signs, though one color, could use some tweaking too, maybe some detail instead of solid one color? If even just by letting the background show through with for road arrows or something...just a thought...at least even the 2600 version got the player car color closer to arcade colors, even if the other cars were one color blobs.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 5

Pole position is a good candidate but what other arcade ports needs a facelift ?

Galaxian !

No wait......that needs a whole new version written from scratch. Almost each and every arcade port for the A8 is great but this one.....doesn’t even come close....

I always thought the Atari version of Spy Hunter was pretty good, but I'm always up for better!

I just watched a video of the C64 version of Spy Hunter and it's nearly identical to the Atari version, so I'm not sure what you see about the C64 version you like better Mr.Amiga500...I noticed a couple very small details, like ramps coming out the back of the truck on the C64 version that don't on the Atari, the smoke screen is different, but I prefer Atari's. I'm totally up for a graphical upgrade to what we have, but I'm not seeing anything better than what we already have on the Atari in the C64 version! Care to enlighten me one what I'm not noticing that's better? besides those two minor details? I guess the C64 helicopter is better looking too...but really, not much difference at all between the two versions to make one stand out over the other, IMHO.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I always thought the Atari version of Spy Hunter was pretty good, but I'm always up for better!

I just watched a video of the C64 version of Spy Hunter and it's nearly identical to the Atari version, so I'm not sure what you see about the C64 version you like better Mr.Amiga500...I noticed a couple very small details, like ramps coming out the back of the truck on the C64 version that don't on the Atari, the smoke screen is different, but I prefer Atari's. I'm totally up for a graphical upgrade to what we have, but I'm not seeing anything better than what we already have on the Atari in the C64 version! Care to enlighten me one what I'm not noticing that's better? besides those two minor details? I guess the C64 helicopter is better looking too...but really, not much difference at all between the two versions to make one stand out over the other, IMHO.

Can you give me a download link to the version you're playing? Maybe the one I played years ago was a crap version or something. I just remember it absolutely sucked compared to the C64 version (felt unfinished, low res, bad colours, etc.) and I was very disappointed. I should try it again.

Can you give me a download link to the version you're playing? Maybe the one I played years ago was a crap version or something. I just remember it absolutely sucked compared to the C64 version (felt unfinished, low res, bad colours, etc.) and I was very disappointed. I should try it again.

Atari 8-bit Spy Hunter

Commodore 64 Spy Hunter

Edited by Gunstar

Tinkered with it for a little bit, let's see what we can come up with on the Emerald Hills from here...

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-10-16 at 9.10.51 AM.png

attachicon.gifMoon Patrol Arcade (new color) BKGR BD.bin

Green is much better in this version.

About the new buggy design. Looks very nice, but there are some flaws. Vertical shots appears not over the gun barrel but few pixel to the right. Buggy is much smaller, so bomb dropped do not need to hit the buggy to destroy it. Bomb that hit the ground in front of the car is able to destroy it. It is hard to determine for a player if the bomb is going to destroy the vehicle or not :(.

One small thing. Vehicle in game gained third wheel, but that small vehicle in right upper corner still has only two wheels ;)

Edited by urborg

..busted :)

I know about the vertical gun but the buggy doesn't look as good if I move it in place.. so I assume the bullets come from the gap between the "gun" and the dome :D

As for the shorter vehicle it's the price to pay, so we can have a front canon..

I have searched for the tiny buggy to change it, but I cant find the damn thing !

Ah, so then it's not so much the graphics (aside from the wrong colours - purple trucks?), but the almost complete lack of other cars on the road that make the Atari version feel like an unfinished game.

You are not seeing a whole lot of gameplay in that video, believe me, you get just as many vehicles on-screen as the C64 version. Why don't you just download the game and try it for real in person instead of making all kinds of assumptions and conclusions from what you remember years ago and one shitty video of it I posted! GEEZE! it's better than the C64 version in playability, that's for sure!

• Like 1

You are not seeing a whole lot of gameplay in that video, believe me, you get just as many vehicles on-screen as the C64 version. Why don't you just download the game and try it for real in person instead of making all kinds of assumptions and conclusions from what you remember years ago and one shitty video of it I posted! GEEZE! it's better than the C64 version in playability, that's for sure!

What the hell is your attitude problem? If you look at my post, you'll notice I asked for a download link for the version of the game you were playing, not "one shitty video". You're the one who misunderstood and posted the video, so I commented on it.

What the hell is your attitude problem? If you look at my post, you'll notice I asked for a download link for the version of the game you were playing, not "one shitty video". You're the one who misunderstood and posted the video, so I commented on it.

Here you are: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-spy-hunter_4950.html