IGNORED

First Reviews: Flashback 9, Legends Flashback, and Bandai Namco Blast!

Sorry- which versions of the arcade games are being used, are they the arcade version, or NES, or Atari etc- I want to like it, but I want to know what it is before I buy

Most are the arcade versions on the Legends Flashback. Tetris, Phelios, Judge Dredd, and a handful of other games are the home versions (the unit basically has three different emulation engines running). If you have a question about a specific game, I can try and answer it.

• Like 1

from the reports. it looks like we have to wait for the non-NES revision

of namco blast flashback to come out with the arcade roms.

in the meantime i got the namco 35th anniversary plug and play used for $10,

which actually is much better, looks better, and has a better game selection

with arcade accurate gameplay.

NOTE : by the way, on the box it clearly states 'images are just for representation',

and may not match whats on the system. so i missed that. need to have my glasses checked.

later

Edited by negative1

Yes, the Bandai-Namco Blast! with the arcade originals has had an unforeseen production delay, so the only units in the supply chain at present have the home versions. There should be an announcement when the new units are out in the wild.

I just want to make one final statement here regarding the Bandai-Namco Blast! for better clarity, and then leave it at that. What's in all of the stores for the foreseeable future is the home console versions of the games. So obviously if you're expecting something else, like the arcade originals, please do not purchase until there's a future official announcement that the product has changed. Thanks.

Will something be done to refund. replace, or compensate people by some process then with the Namco release? The box basically is downright deceptive as it looks to be pushing arcade versions doesn't it? The listing up on Walmart currently uses the arcade version screen captures of Pac-Man and Galaga, not the NES releases. I've seen some videos and posts on game sites and youtube about it already comparing some early reviews of the product where one guy has one, the other has another and it's either arcade or NES stuff. But the boxes both claim to be the arcade games and the variable being that walmart has its exclusive pac-mania and everyone else gets tower of druaga. And it's that druaga one that appears to be the arcade versions.

It seems very bizarre to me that there would be NES games on the accidental release unless they were place holders until rights or whatever had to be acquired or finished to get the arcade rom sets going instead. This is one very unique fudging from the looks of it.

Edited by Tanooki

Will something be done to refund. replace, or compensate people by some process then with the Namco release? The box basically is downright deceptive as it looks to be pushing arcade versions doesn't it? The listing up on Walmart currently uses the arcade version screen captures of Pac-Man and Galaga, not the NES releases. I've seen some videos and posts on game sites and youtube about it already comparing some early reviews of the product where one guy has one, the other has another and it's either arcade or NES stuff. But the boxes both claim to be the arcade games and the variable being that walmart has its exclusive pac-mania and everyone else gets tower of druaga. And it's that druaga one that appears to be the arcade versions.

It seems very bizarre to me that there would be NES games on the accidental release unless they were place holders until rights or whatever had to be acquired or finished to get the arcade rom sets going instead. This is one very unique fudging from the looks of it.

It may not be totally clear on the box, but it does play the games. All artwork, play screens, etc., are representative. So there won't be any refunds, compensation, etc. Some early review units sent out featured arcade versions, which could not be produced at the last minute, so the home versions featured in all stores is solely what's available to buy. There are not different versions out there. Sorry for any confusion. If there's a change, they'll make an announcement.

And to reiterate one more time, the Bandai-Namco Blast! features the home versions of the games. Walmart has Pac-Mania instead of Tower of Druaga. That's the only difference in products. If the products change, there will be a future announcement.

Sorry- which versions of the arcade games are being used, are they the arcade version, or NES, or Atari etc- I want to like it, but I want to know what it is before I buy

From another thread

Here you go:

Arcade:

• Act-Fancer Cybernetick Hyper Weapon
  • Astro Fantasia
  • Bad Dudes vs. Dragon-ninja
  • Break Thru
  • BurgerTime
  • Burnin’ Rubber
  • Cluster Buster
  • Commando
  • Crude Buster
  • Darwin 4078
  • Dig Dug
  • Disco No.1
  • Edward Randy, The Cliffhanger
  • Express Raider
  • Fighting Ice Hockey
  • Forgotten Worlds
  • Galaga
  • Ghouls ‘n Ghosts
  • Heavy Barrel
  • HyperDyne Side Arms
  • Joe & Mac: Caveman Ninja
  • Joe & Mac Returns
  • Lock ‘n Chase
  • Mappy
  • Meikyu Hunter G
  • Pirate Ship Higemaru
  • Pro Bowling
  • Pro Tennis
  • Rally-X
  • Rootin’ Tootin’
  • Scrum Try
  • Secret Agent/Sly Spy
  • Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
  • Shoot Out
  • Side Pocket
  • Sky Kid
  • Strider
  • Super BurgerTime
  • Super Doubles Tennis
  • Super Pool III
  • Super Real Darwin
  • Terranean
  • Tournament Pro Golf
Console:
  • Champions World Class Soccer (Genesis)
  • Judge Dredd (Genesis)
  • Mega Man (NES)
  • Mega Man 2 (NES)
  • Phelios (Genesis)
  • Tetris (Famicom)
  • Like 2

It may not be totally clear on the box, but it does play the games. All artwork, play screens, etc., are representative. So there won't be any refunds, compensation, etc. Some early review units sent out featured arcade versions, which could not be produced at the last minute, so the home versions featured in all stores is solely what's available to buy. There are not different versions out there. Sorry for any confusion. If there's a change, they'll make an announcement.

And to reiterate one more time, the Bandai-Namco Blast! features the home versions of the games. Walmart has Pac-Mania instead of Tower of Druaga. That's the only difference in products. If the products change, there will be a future announcement.

That's honestly pretty scummy if they've sent out pre-production/review units with arcade versions, and displayed arcade versions on all the packaging and marketing, but the retail units are only the NES/Famicom versions.

• Like 4

That's honestly pretty scummy if they've sent out pre-production/review units with arcade versions, and displayed arcade versions on all the packaging and marketing, but the retail units are only the NES/Famicom versions.

It's clearly labeled on the box, 'all images are for representation', and actual images may differ.

People need to learn how to read carefully. I missed it, but no big deal, just returned it, and

got a bandai plug and play for $10 which is much better.

Not that big a deal, as people are making it out to be.

Learn to do your homework first. There were no reviews of this unit, and i posted one of the first

ones as soon as i got to warn other people.

In this case, its the buyers fault, not the companies.

later

It's clearly labeled on the box, 'all images are for representation', and actual images may differ.People need to learn how to read carefully. I missed it, but no big deal, just returned it, andgot a bandai plug and play for $10 which is much better.Not that big a deal, as people are making it out to be.Learn to do your homework first. There were no reviews of this unit, and i posted one of the firstones as soon as i got to warn other people.In this case, its the buyers fault, not the companies.later-1

Sorry, going to have to completely disagree with you here. First to say there are no reviews of the unit and yet be posting in the thread that is a review of the unit is comical to say the least.

Also, to say this is the consumer's fault for not reading tiny print on the box is also lauaguable. This is entirely AtGames fault. They sent out units for review that did not match the product for sale. They allowed reviews to be posted and said nothing. At some point they knew that what was going in the box was not what bad been reviewed. And they said nothing.

Bill also stated directly that these units would have arcade versions. At some point he knew that was no longer true and said nothing.

There was plenty of time between those statements/the review and the product hitting stores to step up and say something like "Hey guys, bad news, we hit a production snag and had to switch to the NES versions of these games at the last minute. The units in the stores will have NES versions of the games for foreseeable future."

Easy right? Yet nothing at all was said until someone got a retail unit in hand and then realized it wasn't what had been advertised or reviewed.

That's a real problem. A consumer getting surprised with that after being shown another thing is the absolute worst from a PR perspective. It damages relationships and erodes trust.

So no, it's not the buyers fault for expecting to receive what they were told they would get. Fine print not withstanding. This is a major failure on AtGames part to properly represent what they're selling and inform the consumer about what they're actually getting.

Edited by Sardonyx
  • Like 4

Sorry, going to have to completely disagree with you here. First to say there are no reviews of the unit and yet be posting in the thread that is a review of the unit is comical to say the least.

Also, to say this is the consumer's fault for not reading tiny print on the box is also lauaguable. This is entirely AtGames fault. They sent out units for review that did not match the product for sale. They allowed reviews to be posted and said nothing. At some point they knew that what was going in the box was not what bad been reviewed. And they said nothing.

Bill also stated directly that these units would have arcade versions. At some point he knew that was no longer true and said nothing.

There was plenty of time between those statements/the review and the product hitting stores to step up and say something like "Hey guys, bad news, we hit a production snag and had to switch to the NES versions of these games at the last minute. The units in the stores will have NES versions of the games for foreseeable future."

Easy right? Yet nothing at all was said until someone got a retail unit in hand and then realized it wasn't what had been advertised or reviewed.

That's a real problem. A consumer getting surprised with that after being shown another thing is the absolute worst from a PR perspective. It damages relationships and erodes trust.

So no, it's not the buyers fault for expecting to receive what they were told they would get. Fine print not withstanding. This is a major failure on AtGames part to properly represent what they're selling and inform the consumer about what they're actually getting.

It is the buyers fault.

Maybe you're not reading it properly.

I reviewed the "WALMART Namco bandai flashback" unit, not the general audience unit, which is whats in the original

review.

Go back, and show me ANY walmart review posted before mine, and maybe I'll agree with you.

Oh, you can't?

Point proven.

Consumer fault.

I have no problem admitting I made a mistake, unlike other people.

I will be the first in line if they come out with an arcade rom unit, and will

recommend to everyone and anyone that likes those games.

End of story.

later

Edited by negative1

I suppose I am expecting there will be variations in the 2600 Flashback and Legends Flashback being announced over the next couple months as stores get their exclusive versions nearer to the Holidays. Will any of these be a big difference like between the 2017 Atari Flashback Gold and Atari Flashback Activision Edition?

It is the buyers fault.Maybe you're not reading it properly.I reviewed the "WALMART Namco bandai flashback" unit, not the general audience unit, which is whats in the originalreview.Go back, and show me ANY walmart review posted before mine, and maybe I'll agree with you.Oh, you can't?Point proven.Consumer fault.I have no problem admitting I made a mistake, unlike other people.I will be the first in line if they come out with an arcade rom unit, and willrecommend to everyone and anyone that likes those games.End of story.later-1

Maybe I'm not reading it properly? Taking queues from Steve Jobs, eh?

The Walmart and regular Namco Flashback Blast are identical except for the game selection. Neither will have the arcade versions of the games. The only difference is whether Pac-Mania or Tower of Druaga are included. It's been stated several times they both contain only NES versions and not the arcade versions as in the unit given to John Hancock to review.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm not reading it properly? Taking queues from Steve Jobs, eh?

The Walmart and regular Namco Flashback Blast are identical except for the game selection. Neither will have the arcade versions of the games. The only difference is whether Pac-Mania or Tower of Druaga are included. It's been stated several times they both contain only NES versions and not the arcade versions as in the unit given to John Hancock to review.

so you're agreeing with me now.

there is no 'general unit' out there now.

so there's no real way to compare it until they are out.

like i said, i have no problem waiting, and if they don't, there are several

alternatives.

for $20 its not a big loss.

later

so you're agreeing with me now.there is no 'general unit' out there now.so there's no real way to compare it until they are out.like i said, i have no problem waiting, and if they don't, there are severalalternatives.for $20 its not a big loss.later-1

Definitely not agreeing with you

Bill has said in several threads the ones for other retailers will be NES as well. They we're not able to make the arcade ones due to a production issue. They've said that until that's resolved and they make an official announcement only NES units will be available.

But back to the point, even John was told the Walmart unit would be the same as his (arcade) with the exception of it including Pacmania.

You can handwave over it all you like, but there's a serious communication issue with AtGames at the core of this.

• Like 1

The good thing about these is most retailers like Walmart, Target, etc. have pretty liberal return policies. If Walmart stocks these in their toy department (like the mini arcades) then they have a 90-day return window instead of 15 days for electronics.

While I understand some licensing issues may have kept the arcade roms from being put on the units at the last minute and I don't think it was a dishonest move on Atgames part, the change definitely makes me no longer interested.

I'll break my pledge to not comment more on the Namco Blast! situation. John Hancock's follow-up video is right on the money, and his criticism of AtGames is totally justified.

Unfortunately AtGames put Hancock in the difficult position of having to make this followup video, in order to protect his reputation as a video game reviewer. Fortunately he did that by offering us a detailed breakdown of the differences between the two units and the emulation issues on the NES version. Thank you, John Hancock.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 3