IGNORED

Atari 5200 Playstation 2 Adapter

smbaker

I made a new thing this weekend...

For folks who've followed my "homemade controller" thread, the design is somewhat similar in that digital potentiometers are used to send the analog signal to the 5200. Interfacing to the PS2 controller is fairly simple from a microcontroller, so it's a simple matter of a loop that repeatedly queries the thumbstick positions and fire button status from the PS2 controller, and then sets the digital pots accordingly.

So far just the video is up, blog post to follow later with schematics, github link, etc.

Scott

Edited by smbaker
  • Like 7

I made a new thing this weekend...

For folks who've followed my "homemade controller" thread, the design is somewhat similar in that digital potentiometers are used to send the analog signal to the 5200. Interfacing to the PS2 controller is fairly simple from a microcontroller, so it's a simple matter of a loop that repeatedly queries the thumbstick positions and fire button status from the PS2 controller, and then sets the digital pots accordingly.

So far just the video is up, blog post to follow later with schematics, github link, etc.

Scott

If this can use both thumbsticks for both controllers on double-stick games, you can put me down for one if they are being sold!

Yes, you can use both thumbsticks for Robotron. Are there a list of other two-stick games that I should try out?

It's unlikely that I'll ever sell completed controllers, but I will probably sell off the stock of leftover pcboards, and order more if there is interest.

Scott

Space Chase is another that came with the Dual controller holder.

Should there be any level translation on the PS controller’s clock/data pins?

The PS2 controller's MISO pin is supposed to be open-collector output, so I think it's fine. The other two pins (MOSI, SCK) are the ones that could be problematic. My Sony controller seems to be working fine without issue. I'm not sure whether or not third-party controllers will be tolerant.

Several of the howtos/guides I looked at on the Internet showed schematics with no level shifting. But, there's an enormous variety of third-party controllers, so your experiences may vary.

I think adding level shifting (or at the very least, some current-limiting resistors) for the next revision of the board would probably be a good idea.

Scott

• Like 1

Space Dungeon is the other coupled game.

Yes! Sorry. I was looking right at the game’s Universal Game Case with printed “Space Dungeon” insert from TheCoverProject but still wrote “Space Chase.” Oops. The UGC insert still says “Includes Controller Holder” or something even though I don’t own one and it wouldn’t fit in the case anyway. It looks like someone has half-finished modeling one on Thingiverse for 3D printing. I don’t have an original to compare too so I might just finish his up. [emoji4]

The loose/uncased 2600 Space Chase cartridge did fall off of my shelf when I was getting out the 5200 titles earlier, which is probably why it was on the mind. [emoji4]

Edited by CZroe
  • Like 1

Yes, you can use both thumbsticks for Robotron. Are there a list of other two-stick games that I should try out?

It's unlikely that I'll ever sell completed controllers, but I will probably sell off the stock of leftover pcboards, and order more if there is interest.

Scott

So the board would come without the microcontroller programmed?

So the board would come without the microcontroller programmed?

I don't sell kits or components, just the bare pcboards. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time to do anything more than that. So you'd be responsible for sourcing the other parts, including the microcontroller, yourself.

Scott

I'm really curious as to how these perform compared to the smart joy psx adapter. But I guess I better reserve 2 for myself or I'll never find out. If there are boards available please put me down for 2. Thanks.

Hi, have you tried out the smart joy psx adapter? Does it allow for dual analogue on Robotron etc? Thanks

Hi, have you tried out the smart joy psx adapter? Does it allow for dual analogue on Robotron etc? Thanks

No I haven't tried the smart joy yet but I need to. Perhaps tonight I can hook it up. There is only one game port connector on the smart joy so I don't see how it could possibly make use of dual analog controls on the 5200.

No I haven't tried the smart joy yet but I need to. Perhaps tonight I can hook it up. There is only one game port connector on the smart joy so I don't see how it could possibly make use of dual analog controls on the 5200.

It's possible, in theory, but you would need a different adapter than the current bohoki. The 15-pin PC gameport connector has pins for two sets of analog x- and y-axis outputs, four fire buttons, three VCC, three grounds and MIDI. Since it comes with no instructions, I'm not sure if it has the ability to enable both thumb-sticks to the two controller ports or not. You would need need some sort of splitter cable that would send the right pin signals to the right ports. I occasionally think about checking it, but have too much going on and forget.

• Like 1

Well that was 30-some-odd dollars wasted. The smart joy adapter I bought from Japan keeps crapping out. smbaker's adapter for the win! ;-)

Update:

It seems like the smartjoy adapter does work as a single analog stick, it's just that it is quirky and locks up on Pete's test cartridge. I played some missile command and I will need to refurb my stock controller because I think the non centering action will make missile command and any precision aiming game easier to play. I had the same difficulty with fine cursor control with the thumbstick on the earlier controller design as well. I'm guessing it will be easier to use smbaker's adapter for robotron than trying to adapt the smart joy assuming it could even be adapted. Plus you get the keypad buttons in smbaker's design.

Edited by john_q_atari

Okay, I've tested them against a $10 amazon third-party ps2 controller, and it worked fine and didn't fry anything, so I'm opening up the pcboard sales. I cannot guarantee that the lack of level translation won't harm your PS2 controller, all I can do is say that I tested it with two of mine and they work fine.

So far, I have:

protestari - 2

rayik - 2

john_q_atari - 2

gaztee - 2

These are pcboards only -- you'll have to source all the components yourself, including the microcontroller and either program the microcontroller yourself or have someone program the microcontroller for you.

The above orders will sell out my supply of spare boards, so that's it for this run. If I missed anyone, please let me know and I will adjust the list. I will be ordering another run of boards sometime in the relatively near future, though I can't say for sure when.

Scott

Edited by smbaker

Okay, I've tested them against a $10 amazon third-party ps2 controller, and it worked fine and didn't fry anything, so I'm opening up the pcboard sales. I cannot guarantee that the lack of level translation won't harm your PS2 controller, all I can do is say that I tested it with two of mine and they work fine.

So far, I have:

protestari - 2

rayik - 2

john_q_atari - 2

gaztee - 2

These are pcboards only -- you'll have to source all the components yourself, including the microcontroller and either program the microcontroller yourself or have someone program the microcontroller for you.

The above orders will sell out my supply of spare boards, so that's it for this run. If I missed anyone, please let me know and I will adjust the list. I will be ordering another run of boards sometime in the relatively near future, though I can't say for sure when.

Scott

I wanted 2, please.