IGNORED

Thinking getting a mvs console what should I get?

D3ltax55

Thinking getting a mvs. JNX seems to be sold out and said maybe less then 2 years for them to have more orders. Totally forgot to check to make my order. The omega seems another option but kinda costly but seems the better way and you can just buy it right away. Has anyone seen the omega go on sale? https://arcadeshock.comseems way to much for my tasts. The CBOX seems to be the cheepest option. but i hear it broke peoples upscalers. I think i heard they fixed some issues from then. The guy said component worked thou i got a framemiester so i can use that. DID they. is it safe now? Super gun and board seems another route, it's just I don't like the fact the board is exposed unless someone know's where to get housing for it. plus i gotta get it unibos on it. Seems alot of work. I don't care for other arcade boards, there are some thou like the pgm board but thats only for 2 games,
Im thinking tring getting the mvs darksoft cart if I can. THe neosd seems easier to get thou.

if you are going mutli cart anyway an aes with a multicart is probably cheaper anyway

Even though the OMEGA came out when MVS was the cheaper way to play (for the most part) I still think its a better value in the long run, even with the release of the current flash multi-carts.

With the OMEGA you're getting a brand new case, an MVS board that's been tested, built in memory card support, and the latest UNIVERSE BIOS. You've also got composite, S-VIDEO and component output options out of the box (just buy additional cables), add controllers and you're good to go.

An AES today goes for how much and in what condition? You want one that looks like it just came out of the box as opposed to being dragged across concrete, you're going to have to pay $$$ for it. Plus add up the cost of adding additional video support, a UNIVERSE BIOS upgrade and internal memory card mod, and what's that set you back?

The NeoSD MVS vs AES cost is in the same ballpark.

So does the omega ever go onsale? Or should I just get it now cuz it may get sold out later?
Someone is telling me to get a Cbox. cuz it's better now. Saving money is always good. I don't care much. if it's no good and will destroy my equipment i may as well just spend the money on the good unit.

Edited by D3ltax55

Yeah, go for the Omega, with the SCART cable for your framemeister. I have one, love it, and consider it a bargain at its price. To my knowledge it's never gone on sale. Way back when it first came out, it was offered as a diy kit, but that's no more.

I also have a supergun--it's kind of a pain in the rear, messy, and when I use it the day invariably ends with me bleeding. I occasionally use it for my non-mvs arcade stuff, but wouldn't really consider using it for something the Omega can do with 90% less fuss. The Omega is so nice that it's one of my 5 permanently hooked up systems.

Edited by Reaperman

Not sure if Quan ever holds "sales" but you can always email him if he has any second hand systems or ones with imperfections that are discounted.

Ever heard of him refurbishing them? Mine's older, without the built in memory card and new unibios--so I'm limited to the 6 default highscore slots, which I believe the new setup takes care of. Though I do have some of the games that memory cards hate, so maybe it's unwise.

edit: further research (link) seems to indicate that I'm mistaken about memory card incompatibility with certain original games.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

For the omega. is it worth spending the extra money on the memory card version? I don't see the need if it saves on the cart as im getting some sort of flashcart.
Also did they fix the problem with the darksoft card not working well with the unibois. There was a work around back then thou. That was along time ago thou.

Edited by D3ltax55

Ever heard of him refurbishing them? Mine's older, without the built in memory card and new unibios--so I'm limited to the 6 default highscore slots, which I believe the new setup takes care of. Though I do have some of the games that memory cards hate, so maybe it's unwise.

Definitely - I've had my OMEGA since 2012, sent it to him in 2014 for the internal memory card mod and he upgraded the UNIVERSE BIOS at the same time.

More recently I looked into replacing the case to better accommodate the NeoSD cart as he revised the cart slot opening making it wider several years back (I believe this was to better fit those MVS multi-carts like the 161-in-1).

The NeoSD fits pretty snug with my older cart slot, but since it requires replacing the entire OMEGA case and not just the top half, I decided to not mess around with a good thing and left things alone. Its not like I'm pulling the NeoSD cart out anytime soon (unless Kraut Buster ships tomorrow!).

Other people solved the tight fit by slight sanding down the cart slot opening on each side (L/R).

Quan was totally cool both times and couldn't be more accommodating, so I would definitely reach out to him.

• Like 2

Is making your own an option?

Some MVS boards are dirt-cheap. Consolization is cheap too if you don’t go overboard. A JAMMA harness ($5), arcade PSU ($15), and something like a GBS-8200 ($15) or NTSC encoder ($50) is mostly all you need. UniBIOS Free Edition is, well, free.

Edited by CZroe

well doing just ruff estimate calculations and currency calculations. With shipping and taxes will prob come up to around $1700 Canadian with the darksoft cart and omega. As someone who has a pc still from 2011. I need that money for a pc.
I was thinking only spending a grand Canadian. But really it's still worth it seeing one neogeo game can be 5 grand. I got a car and a computer to worry about.
CZroe. is there anyone on this board that can do all that and make it look nice for me. I doubt it will be omega quality. Just want to save as much money as I can cuz my countries currency sucks. Just want something that does rgb and maybe a component mod just in case my upscaller blows.

Edited by D3ltax55

well doing just ruff estimate calculations and currency calculations. With shipping and taxes will prob come up to around $1700 Canadian with the darksoft cart and omega. As someone who has a pc still from 2011. I need that money for a pc.

I was thinking only spending a grand Canadian. But really it's still worth it seeing one neogeo game can be 5 grand. I got a car and a computer to worry about.

CZroe. is there anyone on this board that can do all that and make it look nice for me. I doubt it will be omega quality. Just want to save as much money as I can cuz my countries currency sucks. Just want something that does rgb and maybe a component mod just in case my upscaller blows.

Darksoft, really? Can I ask why you prefer that over the NeoSD?

I'm just curious.

IDK i was following them. Booting a game is faster on the darksoft. The neo sd would be a bit cheaper thou and easier to get.

I would do more research first especially the comparison between the two, neo-geo.com is a good place to start.

Once I flash a game I want to play it "boots" instantly on the NeoSD, and will continue to do so until I flash another game.

This has been discussed to death elsewhere so I don't want to derail your thread with NeoSD vs darksoft etc. but I'm quite happy with mine from Stone Age Gamer. I also like how transparent and open Terra Onion was announcing their product, providing updates and just their overall attitude towards the neo geo community.

Depends on how nice you want it to look. A lot of people doll them up with customized plates with etched logos and vinyl graphics that are beyond my ability, but they still don’t look anything like a normal game console.

A lot of people will just take a multislot board, throw carbon fiber vinyl on the top metal shield, slap on a few “SNK” or “MAX 330 MEGA” stickers, wire up their video/power/controls, mount it all to a plate, and call it consolized despite no attempt to make it look like a console. The alternative is Omega, JNX, or CBOX.

FWIW, my main PC is a dinky M11x r3 notebook from 2011. :)

That’s the one which reportedly breaks upscalers, but I’ve heard that they’ve been revised? I dunno.

Someone like MadLittlePixel or TheHandlebarGamer had one of those fry his OSSC early on due to our of spec RGB levels.

I don't keep up as I have a real cabinet so it's a non-iissue, but I think I recall what you said about some kind of revision. I don't remember anyone talking about fried devices but just saying how nice it is strangely for where it's coming from that it's well done for the price using real old repurposed MVS single slot boards.

I don't keep up as I have a real cabinet so it's a non-iissue, but I think I recall what you said about some kind of revision. I don't remember anyone talking about fried devices but just saying how nice it is strangely for where it's coming from that it's well done for the price using real old repurposed MVS single slot boards.

Here is where MadLittlePixel talked about it frying his OSSC:

https://youtu.be/Ey-K3qHcJ2w

Yes, it’s a real board, but the RGB is non-standard for arcade systems and needs to be properly adjusted for standard equipment. The Framemeister / OSSC Upscaler Club FB group discussed it and determined that the RGB was definitely too hot, which is why it can ruin your OSSC or other equipment. Pretty sure that’s also where I saw Wolf King Morrow/FirebrandX ranting about not being able to make proper Framemeister profiles either because they keep changing/revising it or because output is inconsistent.