IGNORED

ST/Amiga Mouse adapter for Jaguar Gridrunner & Defender of the Crown

MacRorie

Hello Guitari!

Got it back Gummy - thanks so much! However still no joy :( I get a shakey movement on the mouse config screen of Impulse X whereas before it was dead. But not moving now as it should. This is selecting both Amiga and ST mice.

In the "Controller Configuration" screen of Impulse X you need to set two things:

1) The "Rotary Device" type, in your case set this to "Amiga mouse".

2) The "Adapter" type. Unfortunately MacRorie didn't post the pinout of his PCB, but judging from the photo it seems he is following the pinout that i published in the 1990ies. So the proper setting for this adpater should be "ST M. Adapter M.Domin".

A wrong combination of "Rotary Device" and "Adapter" will show the effect of "shaking" when you move the mosue, but the mouse buttons should usually work.

Hope this helps

Matthias

• Like 2

SUCCESS!!! :grin:

Thanks Gummy and Matthias for the help. I hadn't selected M.Domin adapter in Impulse X and clearly the soldering has made Gridrunner work since all I did was the same (select option 3 amiga mouse)

The adapter is still quite loose though but rather that than it wears the port 2.

Now to seek out other titles and have a good old spank of the mouse.

Oh, since I'm sitting on the carpet in front of the TV without a desk; what would peoples recommend for a mouse mat? Something hard. I was thinking a modelling cutting board or similar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Modelcraft-Self-Heal-Cutting-Mat-Blue/dp/B0018COC30

Edited by Guitari
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got hold of the ST mouse. Compared with the Amiga tank they both feel and play nice and smooth on Impulse X. I prefer the look of the ST though. Also I was crossing my eyes at the completed screens to see if Matthias had planted any magic eye 3D images. I can't think that he did.

post-7413-0-94535700-1543155128_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guitari
  • Like 2

Mine arrived today!

Thanks for the quick shipping :)

I heat shrink'd it. (heat shrunk it?..)

attachicon.gif20181006_100405.jpgattachicon.gif20181006_100429.jpgattachicon.gif20181006_100440.jpg

Since I only need it to fit in the middle of an extension lead, I didn't bother trimming it back.

attachicon.gif20181006_101436.jpg

It does fit straight into the console and works, but doesn't go all the way in, so if I intended to use it like this, I would trim the shrink back.

attachicon.gif20181006_101351.jpg

Great little product! Thanks again :)

I like that! Can you PM me the details on the size of shrink you used? I can start shipping them like that. Thanks!

• Like 1

I like that! Can you PM me the details on the size of shrink you used? I can start shipping them like that. Thanks!

It was just 30mm diameter, glue lined, 3:1, black heat shrink.

post-7648-0-08762100-1543921426.jpg

If you want them to be super neat, make them too long so they fold over the edge when shrunk. Then 'circumcise' them with a metal edge and a knife:

post-7648-0-06306300-1543921496.jpg

Like I did with my Neo Geo wireless pad reciever:

post-7648-0-19334700-1543921525.jpg

Happy shrinking! :)

P.S. You'll need a heat gun for big diameter shrink like this. A lighter won't do.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Folks,

I have finalized the PS/2 version of this mouse adapter. It is a bit more expensive since it contains a microchip and additional circuitry. I am also putting them inside of the shrink tubing (see pics) for protection.

It is very stable, I was able to play Gridrunner and Defender of the Crown without a problem. When you use it, you should select an Atari ST mouse since that is what it is emulating.

Theoretically, it is **POSSIBLE** that if you have a PS/2 complaint USB mouse, it would also work with an adapter. HOWEVER< I have not tested that extensively. Usually, if a USB mouse came with a PS/2 adapter in the box, it usually will work. Again NO PROMISES.

If you are interested. it is $35 shipped to the US and $40 shipped anywhere else. https://PayPal.me/TheBrewingAcademy/

If you have eBay Bucks or a discount coupon, it is also available on eBay.

post-16779-0-47467800-1547162826_thumb.jpg

post-16779-0-43884600-1547162848_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Paid Gary to include one of these ST Mouse adaptors in my next ST Port Shipment. Stoked!

Question; the Atari ST mouses are pretty rare/pricey these days. Anyone have any problems using an Amiga mouse similar to this one I plan to buy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-ST-TT-Compatible-FAST-Mouse-New-Mint/140953378133

Also; since the mouse won't reach the couch; could i use the Best extension cable pictured below? I would do this from the jag, then the adapter, then the mouse.

Thanks! Also: Is there a complete list of "Mouse Compatible" jaguar games? This might be helpful to have pinned somewhere.

post-38373-0-27132700-1550591758_thumb.jpg

Also: Is there a complete list of "Mouse Compatible" jaguar games? This might be helpful to have pinned somewhere.

These are the mouse-compatible games I have listed in the store:

• Defender of the Crown
  • Gridrunner (included with Jeff Minter Classics)
  • Elansar
  • Star Wars Arcade (Atari ST port)

If there are others, I'd like to know, and I can then update the above list.

..Al

• Like 1

Does Best have an ebay store, or would this one from B&C Computervisions/MyAtari work just as well?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-JOYSTICK-Controller-EXTENDER-CABLE-JAGUAR-DBH-15/131987660683

CAN NOT DEAL with ordering from the Best website. It's like someone failed a 1995 class in web design.

These are the mouse-compatible games I have listed in the store:

• Defender of the Crown
  • Gridrunner (included with Jeff Minter Classics)
  • Elansar
  • Star Wars Arcade (Atari ST port)
If there are others, I'd like to know, and I can then update the above list.

..Al

Impulse X by Matthias Domin is also mouse-compatible.

Regarding Elansar, only the cartridge version is mouse-compatible ; the CD version isn't.

• Like 1