IGNORED

Nintendo 64 Classic Edition

Trinity

You seem to be positive about it

Not at all, in fact I think the most likely result is that they won't be there if this ever happens past Donkey Kong 64 and perhaps Diddy Kong Racing. But I just don't see it being too far fetched these days that we could see Banjo Kazooie and Perfect Dark, which would provide entries in two of the biggest non-Nintendo developed franchises on the system.

And I agree with derFunkenstein. Even if this comes to pass, it's hard to picture Goldeneye making the cut no matter how cooperative Nintendo and Rare were.

Edited by Atariboy

Sure there'd be Rare games, but there's no way they'd license all the Bond stuff just to release Goldeneye. I would expect (if this thing is real) to follow the pattern established by the NES and SNES minis: any Rare games that Nintendo owns. Donkey Kong Country and RC Pro-Am appeared, so no reason to discount DK64.

RC Pro-Am?

Factor 5 is back in business as of 2017, same owner and all that and they're a controlling interest of the Turrican franchise now. Since they company never truly went under/defunct, they could have a say in those games, but I think the hand in Factor 5 N64 games would come down to the IP holder which now is DISNEY as they own Lucasarts/Lucas Games. Still very very unlikely but the chain of possibility is there. Bond though, that's a tangled mess, which is why I said Perfect Dark as it's not hung up and Bond aside the better game.

The thing is, those Indy/Star Wars games they are all also on the PC, and Disney has been warm and fuzzy about licensing them out for re-release in their PC counterparts on GOG for $6 a pop. Shadows, and Rogue were first, then pod racer, and a few days ago Indy Infernal Machine made it out. Maybe they'd be ok with a N64 release for more money and exposure as Lucas was an a-hole about it and didn't care to see them reissued when he was calling the shots. They'd just re-package the old games and charge a lot more for them in jewel cases if at all.

Personally I don't have a big soft spot for games like the Banjo-Kazooie series or Mario Kart; if an N64 Classic were to happen (pretty sure it's gonna happen), I'd like to see some of the odder games up there. Iggy's Wrecking Balls, the two Goemon games, Rakuga Kids, Mischief Makers, Space Station Silicon Heaven, Hybrid Heaven, Fighting Maker 2, Cruis'n Exotica, Beetle Adventure Racing, Wave Race 64, Glover etc.

Maybe throw Mario Party 2 or 3 up there, too. Wouldn't mind some of the obvious picks like Super Mario 64, Majora's Mask and Ocarina too. But I really don't see an N64 Classic worth it with just the Nintendo stuff up there, or even the Rare stuff there either (plus for the Rare stuff most of it's already in the Rare Replay Collection for XBO).

• Like 1

I saw the pictures yesterday afternoon. Looks real inelegant to me, but we'll see. I personally think it's fake, but who knows. That SNES Classic controller port flap wasn't much better.

If by some chance this actually is real and is appearing here soon, I'm curious if it features controller rumble. That's not something that Classic Controllers ever had, but was a hallmark of the Nintendo 64 after the opening launch period. Yet we see Classic Controller ports here.

I imagine Nintendo can get by without controller rumble. They already managed it on the Wii Virtual Console for N64 games, even when using rumble equipped GameCube controllers. But perhaps more interestingly would be seeing our first rumble equipped controller that otherwise follows the Classic Controller standard.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

Those photos are CGI renders.

The fliappy door is dumb enough to be real, unfortunately.

I'm content to wait for an actual announcement, but mini 64 is the obvious next step after NES and SNES.

That site looks pretty sketchy but they aren't the source. This is somewhat closer to it and has a link to where it started on Twitter.

https://www.reddit.com/r/n64/comments/9nsf1c/legit_nintendo_64_mini/

• Like 1

I saw the pictures yesterday afternoon. Looks real inelegant to me, but we'll see. I personally think it's fake, but who knows. That SNES Classic controller port flap wasn't much better.

If by some chance this actually is real and is appearing here soon, I'm curious if it features controller rumble. That's not something that Classic Controllers ever had, but was a hallmark of the Nintendo 64 after the opening launch period. Yet we see Classic Controller ports here.

I imagine Nintendo can get by without controller rumble. They already managed it on the Wii Virtual Console for N64 games, even when using rumble equipped GameCube controllers. But perhaps more interestingly would be seeing our first rumble equipped controller that otherwise follows the Classic Controller standard.

Technically rumble should be doable even on the budget for one of these mini-consoles; the components themselves are cheap but implementing them may or may not be worth it.

If they were REALLY for authenticity tho they'd throw in a mini-Rumble Pak and have the slot in the controller for that. Yeah, 100% illogical, but it'd be authentic ;)

I was thinking of getting a n64, but after hearing this. I might hold off. Hope it's this year? They would have to announce it quickly if it's coming this year I would think?

Doubt it's this year; if so they'd of announced something by now officially, and RDR2 is coming soon which is gonna eat through pretty much EVERYTHING hype-wise for the holiday season.

2019 seems more likely; as crazy as it may sound, Nintendo could be considering a timed release to counter PS5 or XBO2 in some capacity. On its own it wouldn't do much but if either of those come next year their launch games might be kinda weak and releasing N64 Classic around then PLUS some big Switch stuff could put a dent in either system's launch...

...assuming 2019 is happening for either, of course.

Is it bad that the games I'd be the most eager to hack in a N64 Classic are mostly the WcW/nWo titles?

lol All jokes aside Nintendo can easily blast this one into the stratosphere with 1st/2nd party titles alone as the N64 is the current freshest-nostalgia fuel.

The system was never about an impressive 3rd party library. The only games that will truly be missing (in the mainstream eye) are GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. Yet most "casual nostalgics" will probably be content with Mario64, Zeldas, Mario Kart 64 and Mario Party.

Shit I'd want one even if it only had MK64 and WaveRave64 on it.

Maybe I just like plastic casings that say "Nintendo"

I enjoyed the schlocky racing games from Midway (THREE Cruis'n games, California Speed, THREE San Francisco Rush games, Hydro Thunder) as well as the Gauntlet remakes. Lots of people like Mortal Kombat, too. None of it is particularly worth revisiting, but I would think people would feel the same way about all the wrestling games on the system, too.

Instead of old wrestling games, I'd love to see the pair of Ubisoft F1 games, which also won't be happening.

Even Monaco Grand Prix has various licenses even though it lacked the official F1 license and used generic driver and team names. Had a license for Monaco and several different sponsors that were on billboards around each track.

Ignoring some classic sprite scalers before the polygonal age, Monaco Grand Prix on the N64 was the perfect pre-Codemasters F1 title on consoles in my opinion. The Dreamcast counterpart is prettier, but the physics aren't nearly as pleasant.

Edited by Atariboy