IGNORED

Moon Patrol - Arcade Sprite Hack (Call for Moon Buggy drivers!)

doctorclu

And I will second the frustration with a buggy that isn't exactly the same pixel width. The collision detection is not PM-based, but locational, and it bugs me to blow up when the bomb never touched the front. In fact, IIRC the arcade Moon Patrol is overly generous in that regard, requiring a fully direct hit before registering a collision.

That's a really nice one. If now the front cannon appears, it's perfect :)

well stlouisrod let me explain the reason for the narrower (is that a word?) buggy, first of all observe the screenshot below:

the color layer comes first and consists of quadruple humongous pixels, the black layer comes over this, and consists of double wide pixels !

I use the black layer to give definition and detail to the ugly box of color.. unfortunately the black layer is way smaller :(

I have drawn dozens of buggies of all sizes, but only the designs that stays in the width of the black layer are acceptable !

On the other hand I have drawn other vehicles like the heavy metal tank I have posted earlier, which use the length of the original Atari buggy (I'll post a binary tomorrow to try it)

If we leave the arcade design aside we have more freedom to go crazy :)

emkay the front canon is easy to add, but as I said above it will be either a needle or a fatter rectangular box :( I'll post an example tomorrow.

post-65-0-60200500-1538945582.jpg

Edited by TIX

Thanks Gunstar

Check out the new version of the buggy here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/282701-moon-patrol-body-shop/page-7?do=findComment&comment=4128856

Wow now that is actually looking more like the arcade. Nipper was cute and all, but that looks quite good.

Really enjoying all these buggy variants. Dumb question but why was the mountain range color not more closely matched to the arcade? Does it bleed too much with the buggy colors? And I will second the frustration with a buggy that isn't exactly the same pixel width. The collision detection is not PM-based, but locational, and it bugs me to blow up when the bomb never touched the front. In fact, IIRC the arcade Moon Patrol is overly generous in that regard, requiring a fully direct hit before registering a collision.

Dumb answer: why not try color matching and see what you come up with? I've shared where to find the color hex codes in the Moon Patrol hacking thread. And something I never could get a straight answer on was what did the colors actually look like to everyone. To some they are matched closely to the arcade (the background colors) and to others they are the colors you see.

Also the hit detection is location based, true. One of the reasons I like the stinger/gun on the front. At least the proportions are there.

Thats the first buggy design I've seen that looks good with a long gun sticking out the front! Though my favorite version is still the "cricket" from version 4/5. These later designs do look closer to the arcade buggy, but frankly using the double-wide graphics it just doesn't look as good anyway. I also prefer the 2 big knobby wheels to the 3 small one/tank track style because they are too short and small.

I hope once you guys finish all the changes that you will have final versions with both the "cricket" moon buggy and one as close to arcade as possible...plus arcade and regular colors.

Also, why all the ATR versions with the screwed up music that hurts the ears? What happened to the .bins you guys started with? They work great!

I'm sure we'll come up with something for the final buggy designs.

As for the ATR, I hacked the ATR given to me with the patched sounds. Did that not sound better?

If not, the request for help still stands: can someone please create an ATR with a good executable of Moon Patrol sound wise and I will hack it with the Moon Patrol mods.

Fun to be a part of making Moon Patrol more pretty... :P. -Doc Clu

• Like 1

emkay the front canon is easy to add, but as I said above it will be either a needle or a fatter rectangular box :( I'll post an example tomorrow.

as promised, here you are:

both ugly if you ask me, but if you prefer it that way no problem.. I will fix you with a bin anytime ;)

post-65-0-00047500-1538994606.jpg

post-65-0-21573300-1538994618.jpg

On the other hand I have drawn other vehicles like the heavy metal tank I have posted earlier, which use the length of the original Atari buggy (I'll post a binary tomorrow to try it)

If we leave the arcade design aside we have more freedom to go crazy :)

and what about to try create man with big gun ? it is not necessarily to have moon buggy ;-)

ok

for the fans of full sized (at least Atari original sized) vehicles with correct hit detection I give you the heavy metal tank !! My favorite at the moment !!

It's also the latest version of the hack, with tweaked flying aliens, and new improved tank tracks !!

As I said before, with the current limitations it's very challenging to draw curvy buggies (like the arcade) ,

but on the other hand it's easier to draw more wacky futuristic (2000AD) vehicles :grin:

Enjoy

post-65-0-93374600-1538998670.jpg

moon-test-n9 (latest-old color-tank).bin

Edited by TIX
  • Like 4

As for the ATR, I hacked the ATR given to me with the patched sounds. Did that not sound better?

If not, the request for help still stands: can someone please create an ATR with a good executable of Moon Patrol sound wise and I will hack it with the Moon Patrol mods.

Fun to be a part of making Moon Patrol more pretty... :P. -Doc Clu

Another dumb question...are you and Tix working on things seperately and just posting in the same and different Moon Patrol threads (VERY confusing by the way with multiple threads!)? Is that why we have .bin versions and .ATR versions from each of you? I thought this was a combined effort, but...and no, the music sounds just as terrible as it ever did in the cracked-rom-to-ATR/XEX versions, and hurts my ears completely. I can't see how anyone could like it!

Keep up the good work, seperate or together...oh, and I've had absolutely no problem with where explosions hit and P/M detections...direct hit or close, it works for me...lets see anyone's vehicle survive a bomb dropped directly in front of a vehicle instead of actually touching it...not much difference in the real world guys, explosions kill, direct hits, or just near by!

Edited by Gunstar

Another dumb question...are you and Tix working on things seperately and just posting in the same and different Moon Patrol threads (VERY confusing by the way with multiple threads!)? Is that why we have .bin versions and .ATR versions from each of you? I thought this was a combined effort, but...and no, the music sounds just as terrible as it ever did in the cracked-rom-to-ATR/XEX versions, and hurts my ears completely. I can't see how anyone could like it!

Keep up the good work, seperate or together...oh, and I've had absolutely no problem with where explosions hit and P/M detections...direct hit or close, it works for me...lets see anyone's vehicle survive a bomb dropped directly in front of a vehicle instead of actually touching it...not much difference in the real world guys, explosions kill, direct hits, or just near by!

I agree, multiple threads are confusing and hard to keep up with..

so from now on I will only upload new versions to my original post: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/282701-moon-patrol-body-shop/

Edited by TIX
  • Like 1

I agree, multiple threads are confusing and hard to keep up with..

so from now on I will only upload new versions to my original post: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/282701-moon-patrol-body-shop/

Yep, can't blame. I created the .bin/atr versions for the Atari 800 and .bin version for the 5200 users to give something for both gamers to enjoy. I totally understand wanting a "perfect" version of Moon Patrol before porting for everyone. There have been a lot of improvements (buggy design, colors, etc). But I can foresee us narrowing down to a design that everyone will like relatively soon.
But as I've encouraged people to do all along, I will still continue to make custom mods of the buggy for my own enjoyment if nothing else. :D

No you are right Gunstar, all these multiple threads are confusing. We've made some versions available for everyone to enjoy for now, we've received some input as Tix, EnderDude and I tinkered around with the clunky pixels to make the version on screen version of the buggy. Quite a few revisions, but I think together we found what worked and what didn't.

So no more confusion as I will make no more versions for the Atari 800 and 5200 until we have the final version on the hacked thread.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 2

Thanks Gunstar

Check out the new version of the buggy here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/282701-moon-patrol-body-shop/page-7?do=findComment&comment=4128856

This design is almost perfect.. I played yesterday in a real 600XL and I really love it. The animation of the wheels is a little weird though, they look like flickering, instead of the nice animation from the other versions. This is looking very nice.

• Like 1

At the cost of playability....?

Have you seen the Apple version in action......sucks balls.

The only tiny issue I have with the A8 version is that you can’t destroy the dropped bombs with your vertical gun.....which IS possible (and much needed) on the arcade version. To me it looks like the programmers programmed around this by making the bombs miss a lot .....they go very wide on the A8 compared to the arcade ones.

as promised, here you are:

both ugly if you ask me, but if you prefer it that way no problem.. I will fix you with a bin anytime ;)

I like this tank version! Can you post this version with latest hacks?

if we can combine these two I think we will have a winner! Combine the wheels on the 2nd one with the body of the buggy on the first.

post-3709-0-87140500-1539138313.jpg

post-3709-0-66570600-1539138317.jpg

post-3709-0-55749300-1539138773.jpg

Edited by tjlazer
  • Like 2

what are you talking about? I shoot down the bombs all the time! have one of these hacks or supplied xex, atr's broken this?

Not the hacks I've played, they all still let me shoot bombs mid-air!

• Like 1

I like this tank version! Can you post this version with latest hacks?

if we can combine these two I think we will have a winner! Combine the wheels on the 2nd one with the body of the buggy on the first.

Tank version is already posted (with latest hacks) here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/282701-moon-patrol-body-shop/page-7

As for the combination of the two ..no, I don't like that direction at all, If you like it go ahead (feel free to use my tracks) !