IGNORED

Midwest Gaming Classic 2019

Dauber

Is the Punch Out arcade machine going to be back? It will be my goal to get past Mr. Sandman this time.

No idea. I'm pretty sure that the guy that brought it is planning on bringing a bunch of stuff again, but don't know if he's bringing punch-out or not.

Unless Atariage decides to take part in the MGC again, I think this was my last year. My interest is mostly in Atari and arcades and every year those selections get smaller and smaller. There were quite a few bins of 2600 carts and goodies to go through but mostly commons.

And while it was advertised there were "over 100 arcade games", I think 12 of them were various Pac-Man machines for sale. I was happy to see Asteroids Deluxe but disappointed it was missing the graphic overlay. I was happy to see Battlezone but disappointed is was a mini arcade with the sound too low to hear. I was happy to see Space Invaders but disappointed to see the screen was malfunctioning. I had fun with Blaster and Gorgar.

It was nice to meet Jeff Lee (Q*Bert, Mad Planets) and Brian Colin (Rampage, Discs of Tron) and briefly talk about the industry: today vs yesterday.

Sorry in advance for the long post - here is my summary of the show this year:

I had a lot of fun this year! I picked up Roof Pooper and The Chicago basement, along with filling in a few missing titles from my Atari 2600 Activision collection (I finally found a copy of pressure cooker with a label that was still legible even with all of the actiplaque!)

The museum area was Amazing this year, but the arcade was a bit lacking. It was still fun to see all of the new pinball tables and really cool to see that head to head joust table, but it felt really toned down compared to previous years.

Over all I would say that last year was a better show, but this year was more fun because I actually got to talk to more people that I wanted to (Philo Barnhart was really fun to talk to, Brian Colin is always great, I finally got to meet Eugene Jarvis...).

I loved playing robotron at the pie factory table, and I am really enjoying the new book from William Pepper of Atari Bytes.

• Like 1

Dauber and I had a great time at the MGC. It was awesome meeting so many people, people we've known previously, and people we never met before coming up to our table and saying "I love your podcast!"

we're already talking about next year. Some changes to the podcast are coming, but we're talking about maybe having a party for our fans and members of Aatriage, but we'll keep you all updated on that. It's still a freaking year away!

I hope to run into some of you throughout this year. I'm planning on going to the Vintage Computer Fest in Chicago in September, maybe the gaming show in Bloomington in a couple weeks. If you see Dauber or I at any of the local arcades, feel free to say hi!

It was a decent year. I got to go Saturday and Sunday, so my snow day last year was vindicated.

I was surprised at the price of parking. Last year in the lot west of the Center was $10 for all day. This year was $20 for 4 hours. That prevented me from sticking around to see Howard Philips.

I couldn't get over how packed the place was! Saturday going through the vendor area was more of a battle than in previous years. Getting pizza took about 20 minutes, which is an eternity when your parking time is limited. Sunday I knew better so my twin step daughters and I ate after our parking time was up.

All in all it was a fun time but I didn't get to play as much as I wanted. The rules for children admission changed so I could only bring two a day. I originally planned to take my girls Saturday then turn myself loose Sunday. Oh well.

Gotta say-Xbox 360's were tempting me. I saw a Falcon with all connections and hard drive for $25 and a newer model with connections for $40 with 20% off. I resisted.

I was with Dauber and Inky selling my homebrews as well as displaying my Svengoolie game. As mentioned, we had a nail-biter with the Robotron 2084 challenge down to the last second. The only drawback was I threw my back out Thursday night while cleaning my basement so I was walking on a slant.

• Like 1

Another great year. Talked to Dauber, frankodragon, and Inky at their booth about Shatner and tacos.

Also ran into Crazy Climber. We managed to not cross paths the last 4 years or so even though we both were always there. He said he'll come back to the forums eventually.

• Like 3

I hope to run into some of you throughout this year. I'm planning on going to the Vintage Computer Fest in Chicago in September, maybe the gaming show in Bloomington in a couple weeks. If you see Dauber or I at any of the local arcades, feel free to say hi!

I'm looking at the exhibits list for 2019. Wow, a good friend(a mentor I'd say) from when I was a teenager is going to be there.

Wow it truly is a small world.

Edited by S1500
  • Like 1

Another great year. Talked to Dauber, frankodragon, and Inky at their booth about Shatner and tacos.

Also ran into Crazy Climber. We managed to not cross paths the last 4 years or so even though we both were always there. He said he'll come back to the forums eventually.

Huh. I must have missed him.

Huh. I must have missed him.

Saw him in the Ben Heck room on Saturday. We'd been standing next to each other for a couple minutes, it wasn't until he spoke to Ben that I turned and we recognized each other, it was pretty funny! That's the only time I saw him at the show.

I Had a fun time there on Saturday. I did buy a boxed copy of Spaceman Splorf: Planet of Doom from Packrat games. I went to most of the areas at the Midwest Gaming Classic including Vendor Hall.

Hopefully, I will be able to attend next year.

Edited by 8th lutz