IGNORED

Tools to reflash a temporarily bricked U1mb?

seastalker

When I bricked my U1MB, I used an 8Mbit MaxFlash cartridge to unbrick it. Just create a flasher ATR with the 512MB image in it twice and load/flash over SIO. After that, swap one of the 4Mbit flash ROMs with the one on the U1MB. After that, you can reflash your cart with whatever you want.

• Like 2

Get a TL866CS. They are all over eBay, etc. It's what I and many others use. It should come with suitable PLCC flash ROM adapters.

Illustrative example:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2536132730541?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=253613273054&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

So I see the TL866CS and 866A are being replaced by the TL866II Plus. I gather the downside to the II Plus version is a lower maximum operating voltage. That limits the types of classic EEPROMs that can be written, correct? Obviously, I don't (yet) have any self-contained flashing tools myself but look to remedy that in a couple weeks.

@ivop - Thats a great tip at another method. I may want to get one of those carts regardless at some point, and nice to know you can also use it for that. This is the first bricking in my life so I don't plan it too often. I'm waiting on the item FJC linked and will start there.

@Kernal - That is mighty kind of you and I am sure a lot of people will mirror my thanks to you!

1. discharge all static electricity from your self.. touch something metal to discharge anycharge builtup in your body

2. Remove SST Chip from Brown Socket in u1mb using the PLC CHIP REMOVAL TOOL

3. INSERT CHIP Into USB PLC Programmer adapter.USING THE NOTCH ON THE CHIP as a GUIDE FOR INSERTION

4. INSERT PROGRAMMER ADAPTER WITH CHIP INTO PROGRAMMER AS SHOWN ON SCREEN (LINE PIN 1 UP APPROPRIATELY)

5. SELECT CORRECT CHIP TYPE (SST SST 39SF040) IN PROGRAMMING SOFTWARE

6. SELECT CORRECT ROM FIRMWARE (Ultimate.ROM or ULTIMATENOGOS.ROM)

7. ERASE / FLASH /VERIFY

8. Again discharge any static electricty from your body by touching a peice of metal.

9. UPON COMPLETION OF VERIFICATION PROCESS, PLEASE REMOVE ADAPTER FROM PROGRAMMER AND CHIP FROM ADAPTER USING PLC CHIP REMOVAL TOOL

10. Place chip back in BROWN SOCKET (Using the notch as a guide) carefully.

11, replace cover to atari and boot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Kernal - I got my TL866CS and instantly followed your instructions to the letter. INSTANT SUCCESS!!!! I now have my 800xl back up and running in tandem with a Side 2 cart both with updated firmware. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your very welcome.. it took some trial and error at first for me.. and a misaligned chip.. but hey success is success!!!!

• Like 1