IGNORED

which DOSes know about date/time?

sanny

Hmmm,

afaik date+time is only(?) supported with DOS versions that use the SDFS (Sparta DOS File System), e.g. Sparta DOS 1.x, Sparta DOS 2.x, Sparta DOS 3.x, Sparta DOS 4.x (SDX), Bewe-DOs and RealDOS.

There is also Atari DOS XE that supports the date (but not the time).

Do not know of any other DOS that makes use of date and time. But since there are dozens or hundreds of Atari DOS versions, I would not be surprised if there is another (maybe uncommon, maybe not widespread) DOS that makes use of date/time, that I am currently not aware of...

ICD made a driver for the R-time 8 and DOS XE, I think it was called the DOS XE integration driver or some such blather, I will look for it. setting the time called an outside program that could set time and date... but the date could still be set from within DOS XE menu.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Hi!

Hi,

I'm currently implementing clock_gettime/clock_settime functions for CC65.

I have a working implementation for SpartaDOS-X.

What other DOSes keep track of date/time and have a (program) interface to get/set the system time?

BW-DOS should be compatible with SpartaDOS, the documentation says:

TABLE IN PAGE 7

In the page 7 there is a little table, that shows version of the DOS, and allows machine code programs to use a few special functions:

- $700: There is allways the character "S" to provide the best compatibility with SpartaDOS. Many programs will determine by this adress, if they can use advanced SpartaDOS (BW-DOS) functions.

- $701: There is allways the number $32 to provide the best compatibility with SpartaDOS.

- $703 (two bytes): There are the letters "BW" when any version of BW-DOS is installed.

- $705: BW-DOS version. $10 is for version 1.0x, $13 is for version 1.3x etc.

- $706 (two bytes): Adress of the "GETTD" routine. This routine reads the date and time from BW-DOS's clock, and store it into "DATER" and "TIMER" in the "COMTAB".

- $708 (two bytes): Adress of the "SETTD" routine. This routine reads the date and time from "DATER" and "TIMER" in the "COMTAB", and store it into BW-DOS's clock.

The location of the "DATER" and "TIMER" fields is given relative to "COMTAB":

THE COMTAB TABLE

This table allows machine code programs to get parameters from the CP, and to use many other features of BW-DOS. Adress of this table is stored in the "DOSVEC" vector (at $0A); numbers in the following description are relative positions in the table. Bytes, which are not mentioned in the description, are reserved for compatibility with several SpartaDOS versions; such a bytes may not be changed by any program!

+13: DATER

+16: TIMER

This is the main variable for date and time (3+3 bytes). It is in the format "day, month, year; hour, min., sec." This variable is used by "GETTD" and "SETTD" routines, and while creating a file.

• Like 2

Depending how far you want to go - the ICD R-Time 8 disk includes zhand.sys (or something like that) to allow a program on Atari DOS and other DOS that don't natively do date/time to read time from Z: device.

This could be interesting for more support in other DOSes. Is there information available about how to access the Z: device, and do all Z: handlers follow that interface?

• 4 weeks later...