IGNORED

BomberCats: a new Lynx game coming Fall 2018!

LordKraken

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

People asks me regularly about the status of my game and since I'm way beyond the initial release date, it's probably a good idea to make an update :)

So life happened, I got a new job last summer and it was way harder than expected, to the point where I had to drop off my hobbies and refocus on work for a little while (for the record I work on AAA games and yeah, it can be tough). I restarted working on the game last spring, just to be blocked by a nasty bug that left me (almost) desperate.

Now the good news: I didn't start "The Inside World" from scratch. In fact I reused many of my bombercats "engine" functions. And yes, even the part with the blocking bug.... And I finally fixed it!!! So in other words, this simply means that I'm unblock!!!

There's not much left to do in the game actually:

- integrating the bug fix

- balancing the AI

- Creating more levels for the adventure mode

- Maybe... maybe... add a comlynx option

I will post a gameplay video soon!

Stay tunes, and thanks for asking me, that keeps me motivated :)

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 9

If I understand correctly the development of ComLynx has not been trivial. I might also be interested in trying it out on my Hero Quest game at some point in time. The idea would be that the game master runs the game on a PC. Windows, Linux, Mac. In that environment you can see all the players and create new scenarios.

The Lynx units could download the scenarios from the main server (the PC) and store the game locally in the eeprom (64k). After that the game continues between the Lynx units. Either by passing a Lynx around or if you have several units then by moving the focus to the next Lynx.

There is already tons of scenarios available in this format. I could have a few default scenarios on the flash for stand alone gaming without a PC.

herotakakansi.thumb.jpg.4169a71331edb5a33c7d491e18b8992c.jpg

I was thinking of making this game for the competition but as @enthusi is creating an ISOmetric rpg which looks very promising. So I thought that two isometric games at the same time is a bit of a waste of resources, So I made On Duty instead.

But if @enthusi decides to make it a single hero game I may pick up this again.

1 hour ago, LordKraken said:

and now we have Handy with comlynx support thanks to nop90

it's a minimal quick and dirty implementation, that sometimes crashes. But at least works great for testing the comlyns while the game is in developement.

My open lynx projects are increasing, so don't know when I could work on it, but it's worth to be fixed.

For commercial games not working on it (Hand Made Software games can connect but the connection is not stable) I think the reason is the not perfect timing of the emultator that was pointed out in a recent topic. Also a not exact dimension of the internal UART buffer could cause the problem. I wasn't able to find info on it to check if the buffer in Handy is correctly sized. 

In the protocol I implemented the engine waits for the next data frame indefinively (this means that disconnecting the cable during the game will freeze all the lynx connected), while commercial games implement some sort of timeuot.

When transmitting my code sends data till the buffer is not full, then waits that it has some empty space for contining to send the data. Commercial games could know the exact size of the buffer and optimize the protocol on it to avoid waiting loops.

I'm happy with my protocol and I think that it's not bad that it's a little more resilient (at the price to be probably less efficient) because in a far future maybe could be possible to connect real Lynx with Lynx emulators, and my code should continue to work despite a not exact timing of the emulator. 

On 9/15/2019 at 1:50 PM, LordKraken said:

People asks me regularly about the status of my game and since I'm way beyond the initial release date, it's probably a good idea to make an update :)

Stay tunes, and thanks for asking me, that keeps me motivated :)

Thank you for the update.  This is my most anticipated Lynx game in many, many years.  I've been hoping for an update but didn't want to bother you with a PM.  :)

• 6 months later...

Hi everybody,

I've just opened a page about the game on itch.io where I will post udpate and progress about the game.

We are wrapping up an enhanced Odynexus demo now and I will be able to resume work on Bombercats pretty soon!

Stay tuned and don't hesitate to comment or suggest ideas :)

https://krakendev.itch.io/bombercats

(This itch.io devlog idea is unashamedly stolen from @Fadest :D)

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 9

6 hours ago, LordKraken said:

Hi everybody,

I've just opened a page about the game on itch.io where I will post udpate and progress about the game.

We are wrapping up an enhanced Odynexus demo now and I will be able to resume work on Bombercats pretty soon!

Stay tuned and don't hesitate to comment or suggest ideas :)

Superb looking game!

7 hours ago, LordKraken said:

I also stole the same idea. But my page is not public yet :) 

It will be at https://karrika.itch.io/lynxpad

Unfortunately I don't have a game in the works. It is an instrument only.

• Like 1