IGNORED

BomberCats: a new Lynx game coming Fall 2018!

LordKraken

I'm really surprised at the amount of whining about no multiplayer. Not so much here, but mostly on Facebook. Yes, Bomberman is traditionally a multiplayer game (and one of the very best too). But most of the installments have a fantastic computer AI in battle mode, which is good fun. If Bombercats is half as fun as that, it will be a great time.

This is not your project. Be thankful for what is being done here. If it's up your alley, support it. If not, then don't.

Edited by PFG 9000
  • Like 2

The cc65 ComLynx library exists but it works with 2 Lynxes only. One sender, one receiver. When you start connecting more Lynxes you get framing errors and need some kind of special code for handling who should talk and when.

Even with just 2 Lynxes a multiplayer mode would be great! :) :thumbsup:

As somebody else said, most of us own more than 1 Lynx. Finding someone with a Lynx shouldn't be the problem. :grin:

• Like 1

Ohh maybe I should have a look at this FB discussion then :? (or maybe I shouldn't :grin:).

I have been looking into a comlynx version, I actually found some old messages on a couple of forums where I asked questions on how to implement it.

But bear in mind that, with the exception of "Championship Rally", released 15+ year ago, there are very few homebrew games, if any, who offer a comlynx mode.

Reason beeing that:

1) It requires at least 2 lynx, and 2 sd card/BLL kits. This adds 200$ more on your devkit.

2) The audience seems very limited. There are probably a few thousands lynx fans around the globe, but how many live next to each other?

I haven't completely closed door to a comlynx version, I'm even looking at some code right now (thanks to Carl). But if I think it's doable, I'd need to buy a BLL cable (fortunately I have an sd card AND alpine games, so I could get the game running on 2 consoles with this cable).

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 2

Ohh maybe I should have a look at this FB discussion then :? (or maybe I shouldn't :grin:).

I have been looking into a comlynx version, I actually found some old messages on a couple of forums where I asked questions on how to implement it.

But bear in mind that, with the exception of "Championship Rally", released 15+ year ago, there are very few homebrew games, if any, who offer a comlynx mode.

Reason beeing that:

1) It requires at least 2 lynx, and 2 sd card/BLL kits. This adds 200$ more on your devkit.

2) The audience seems very limited. There are probably a few thousands lynx fans around the globe, but how many live next to each other?

I haven't completely closed door to a comlynx version, I'm even looking at some code right now (thanks to Carl). But if I think it's doable, I'd need to buy a BLL cable (fortunately I have an sd card AND alpine games, so I could get the game running on 2 consoles with this cable).

I understand 1.) but I think you are probably wrong about 2.) Like I said, Multiplayer is very popular, especially for the target audience of your game.

Edited by agradeneu

I'm really surprised at the amount of whining about no multiplayer. Not so much here, but mostly on Facebook. Yes, Bomberman is traditionally a multiplayer game (and one of the very best too). But most of the installments have a fantastic computer AI in battle mode, which is good fun. If Bombercats is half as fun as that, it will be a great time.

This is not your project. Be thankful for what is being done here. If it's up your alley, support it. If not, then don't.

I'm not surprised at all. Even worse, constant "whining" and complaining about a game is part of a rather annoying process called "playtesting". Giving honest feedback is not a matter of being thankful or unthankful. We don't owe each other anything. Multiplayer would just make the game better, peroid. That's just a valid point any playtester would make. That does not belittle the great work already done by any means. And yes I regard honest critique as much more a worthy support than just handing out approval and complimenting, maybe just for your very own interest of wanting to snatch a copy ASAP.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1

Multiplayer is cool and all, but As I see it, the only people I know with a lynx are on this forum. If I ever get to play this game on my lynx, it will be by myself.

The Lynx Group on FB is much bigger than this forum. I would consider feedback there as representative.

BTW I have a Lynx since 1991, play it regularly, never sold my collection on eBay, never tried to monetize homebrew via ebay. I support homebrew as a gamer, not for collecting&selling them as rarities.

Edited by agradeneu

I wouldn't go as far as saying that whining IS playtesting :D But I'm all for honest and constructive feedback actually, so keep giving it :)

At the end of the day, I think that any game developer, esp. a homebrew game developer, tries to make the best possible game.

In my particular case, I'm fully aware that MP would be a great addition, but right now, as stated in 1) I'm not even capable of testing it...

By the way, could you give me a link to this FB group @agradeneu? Thx!

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 1

Yes, clear to see a whopping 4 people want multiplayer in the Facebook group from 5 people who've replied, lol.

I have counted a whopping 11, because there are multiple post about the game. Since this was not a survey, that's quite considerable, as people agreeing don't need to comment if it was pointed out 11 times already.

Edited by agradeneu

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually quite confident I could make comlynx works, I found enough code and examples - thanks Carl. What I'm lacking now is time and hardware; even though I have 3 lynxes I'm still missing a couple of things to be able to debug comlynx code. So until it is resolved, I'm focusing on AI and also single player arcade mode.

• Like 1

I'm actually quite confident I could make comlynx works, I found enough code and examples - thanks Carl. What I'm lacking now is time and hardware; even though I have 3 lynxes I'm still missing a couple of things to be able to debug comlynx code. So until it is resolved, I'm focusing on AI and also single player arcade mode.

I think most of us will buy whatever you turn out, whenever it gets done... so looking forward to both releases! :grin:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Feedback is essential to any aspiring coder,artist,writer,musician or whatever.

It's the only way anyone can learn and improve and tailor future work towards it's intended audience, but for it to be effective, it has to constructive.

I'm not on FB,so can't comment on any or all comments made so far,however a few options exist for those longing for MP options..

1.Treat this as the initial project and leave genuine feedback for what you would like to see in a sequel..

2.Considering we know putting in link up mode will cost time and money, maybe people would be willing to donate towards the cost of making a feature they want,happen?

And also be prepared to wait longer for the game.

Implementation and playtesting of multilayer would add extra time to the project.

3.If the above aren't suitable, learn to code on Lynx and write the very games you want to play.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...