IGNORED

too many homebrew?

vprette

Personally, I think it is good for the community. The tools are more mature, the resources available to programmers a more accessible, the market has expanded, etc.

This are all good things. That said, you have to take the good with the bad. Increased productivity and a larger pool of programmers means that there will be wide variances in the quality of games and production values.

Such is life.

Do we really want to return to the days when each game required 5 to 10 years of gestation and an almost superhuman ability from programmers to figure out the intricacies and complexities of the hardware and tools, with primitive resources and very little chance to transport knowledge and experience?

I don't.

dZ.

• Like 6

I recall years ago when 4tris was the only programming experiment around... now I see almost 10 new productions per year... is this good for intellivision and collectors? or too many games means lack of quality and hard to complete the collection for everyone

Sure its a good thing for the intellivision ,

It will keep the quality of games produced up and prices down.

Because now just because a game is released its not an automatic buy for collectors/gamers.

Edited by m-crew
  • Like 1

Personally I wish there were a few more, sometime there's months with nothing new.

If you can't afford to spend say $1000 a year on your hobby at this stage of your life maybe you should reconsider collecting.

People probably spend way more than that on fancy coffees or other frivolous things.

If the market gets flooded with expensive crappy games people will become more selective,

No-one is forcing anyone to buy any or all games.

I welcome new games and am excited to see things from new programmers,

Oscar's book seems to be spurring new people to try programming, I think that's great,

the contest here too has come up with some cool games too,

and there have been tons of fun games over the years that only came out as roms

and some of them are awesome too.

• Like 2

In the end the point of equilibrium will come by itself.

Nowaday any mind fart can become a cartridge.

The Gyruss fraud should teach that there are scammers ready to pack whatever in order to make profits and exploit maniacal collectors.

The solution is to choose what to buy.

Collectors should select what to buy and from whom to buy, giving support only to those developers who deserve it and to games that worth it.

• Like 3

In the end the point of equilibrium will come by itself.

Nowaday any mind fart can become a cartridge.

The Gyruss fraud should teach that there are scammers ready to pack whatever in order to make profits and exploit maniacal collectors.

The solution is to choose what to buy.

Collectors should select what to buy and from whom to buy, giving support only to those developers who deserve it and to games that worth it.

Bingo!!!!

Well said artrag ??

If I was Benevolent Dictator For Life of all homebrew releases, I would return us to the previous days when games were released less often but they were almost always of the highest quality. There would be a review committee on whether a game was allowed to be released to the publc.

However, that is not reality... and that is fine.

Game development is no longer limited to hardcore developers who have to craft a game over a long period of time. Programming is more accessible now to more developers, including novice and intermediates.

While the new reality is not great news for completionists who now have to spend more money more frequently on games of various quality levels, there is an upside. With more developers there will be more games put out. For non-completionists, this means more to select from. Some games will be junk, others will not. Just buy what you think you'll enjoy.

Also, let's not demonize junky games or the developers who wrote them. (FYI: this is a general broad statement and not referring to Gyruss which is a separate issue) Developers sometimes need to put out a few games before they 'get it'. Today's junk game developer may be tomorrow's awesome game developer.

• Like 3

Intellivision homebrew releases per year.

2001-1

2002-0

2003-0

2004-2

2005-2

2006-0

2007-1

2008-1

2009-0

2010-0

2011-4

2012-12

2013-4

2014-9

2015-10

2016-16

2017-8

2018-inconclusive

I ran through this list real quick, if someone wants to double check me feel free. ?

http://intellivisionrevolution.com/released-homebrew-games

• Like 3

2001-1

2002-0

2003-0

2004-2

2005-2

2006-0

2007-1

2008-1

2009-0

2010-0

2011-4

2012-12

2013-4

2014-9

2015-10

2016-16

2017-8

2018-inconclusive

I ran through this list real quick, if someone wants to double check me feel free.

and your point is ???? Not one $200 game on that list?

Looks Pretty Though ;)

Really that much, I would of guessed the other way. How did you come up with that number.. games sales? Shows ? Poll results ... just asking because that number really comes as a surprise..

Yes, there's definitely more Intv fans

Also, just take a look at the forum's activities

There's more people posting in the Intellivision section than in the CV section

2001-1

2002-0

2003-0

2004-2

2005-2

2006-0

2007-1

2008-1

2009-0

2010-0

2011-4

2012-12

2013-4

2014-9

2015-10

2016-16

2017-8

2018-inconclusive

I ran through this list real quick, if someone wants to double check me feel free. ?

The spike in 2012 was mostly due to re-releases and the release of Mattel unreleased ROMs. In reality, there were like a handful of newly developed games that year, just like before and after, until 2014..

dZ.