IGNORED

too many homebrew?

vprette

I'm not really sure who has the most collectors, but I do know in my area of Rural Alberta I run into a lot more people who are familiar with Colecovision over intellivision. Do you have to be a homebrew collector to be a hardcore collector? Maybe? AA is also only one of many retro gaming sites now a days. It might be the most popular for most of us, but I think it's only part of the overall picture.

Edited by mr_intv

Yes, there's definitely more Intv fans

Also, just take a look at the forum's activities

There's more people posting in the Intellivision section than in the CV section

Yes but that posting in the intv community is mostly by the same few and publishers/programmers/product producers and sales.. Take a close look..

And AA is one of many retro gaming communities... So one communities numbers really is just part and as stated above..

Edited by m-crew

I'm not really sure who has the most collectors, but I do know in my area of Rural Alberta I run into a lot more people who are familiar with Colecovision over intellivision. Do you have to be a homebrew collector to be a hardcore collector? Maybe?

Colecovision has mostly arcade ports, Intellivision have way more original creations

Hence why alot of folks will just go with MAME emulation instead of playing CV

Atari VCS and Intellivision was and will always be more popular than CV

I'm not really sure who has the most collectors, but I do know in my area of Rural Alberta I run into a lot more people who are familiar with Colecovision over intellivision. Do you have to be a homebrew collector to be a hardcore collector? Maybe? AA is also only one of many retro gaming sites now a days. It might be the most popular for most of us, but I think it's only part of the overall picture.

I have experienced the same thing around Toronto and GTA area... very few intellivision collectors compaired to colecovision.. Even in retro gaming stores..

Edited by m-crew

The spike in 2012 was mostly due to re-releases and the release of Mattel unreleased ROMs. In reality, there were like a handful of newly developed games that year, just like before and after, until 2014..

dZ.

IntyBASIC is guilty, guilty of making people happy making games :grin:

• Like 5

Colecovision has mostly arcade ports, Intellivision have way more original creations

I think opinions will vary on this.. All good though,

There's a few of us here in Toronto, never see any Intelly stuff in stores though, closest one is Toyratt out in Milton and he just has overpriced commons most of the time.

Never seen anything in a thrift store or even yard sales.

yup, when you find anything intv here its a miracle !! lol

haha! Funny!

Totally the oposite for me

When I was kid, I was the only kid with a CV

My friends all have a VCS or INtv

yeah and before colecovision everyone had the VCS and me still the lone intv kid... lol never anyone to trade games with... oh the sorry of my childhood... lol

I recall years ago when 4tris was the only programming experiment around... now I see almost 10 new productions per year... is this good for intellivision and collectors? or too many games means lack of quality and hard to complete the collection for everyone

Should we all stop developing new games and leave it to one publisher? Which one do you suggest?

The "less often, but higher quality" statement/argument has been mentioned a few times in this thread and other threads that have a similar topic.

Is the debate really about (1) "less often, but higher quality" meaning better games to play or (2) "less often, but higher quality" meaning no issue/bugs in the game?

I'd guess it needs to be a mixture of the two, but I don't recall seeing many releases that would fall into either category.

I don't own all the homebrews, so I've not played them all, but outside of posts that I've seen about Brix being a bad/poor game, are there any other homebrew releases that have been deemed "low quality" by this community?

since I purchase only the homebrews that interest me maybe I've not paid attention threads or posts about a low quality release.

I know Jr Pacman has been found with some technical issues after it was released, but does that relegate into the "low quality" release category? I am not so sure I would categorize it as a low quality game. Maybe once the fixed version is available, then this game would change its status in people's minds.

Please don't respond to my question about which releases people find as low quality. I don't mean any ill will towards any of the publishers that have taken the time and effort to release a game. I love you all :lust:

If a game is released and it looks something that I would like, then I will buy it (assuming that I have the funds). For me it is that simple

...unless said game has been pirated/stolen from another author...

Is the debate really about (1) "less often, but higher quality" meaning better games to play or (2) "less often, but higher quality" meaning no issue/bugs in the game?

Good point. Just to clarify what -I- meant regarding "higher quality", I meant good game play and replayability. I wasn't including bugs since, as a software developer myself, I get that bugs get missed sometimes despite best efforts.

You probably have as good an idea as anybody how they compare today. How many copies might a new "must have" title sell at the upper limit for intellivision vs coleco vision. And how many might a "not so popular" title sell representating the lower limit.

Back in the 1980s Intellivision did have a larger install base but not by much and the Atari 2600 was many, many times larger than both of them put together. Many atari and intellivision owners did upgrade to coleco vision which was a next generation system at the time.

People who remember golden age arcade games might prefer to emulate the original games in mame. But a lot of the new people getting into retro gaming are younger and don't have that connection to the arcades. They want to play real hardware not emulation. From that era they are looking at coleco vision as the way to go. So I think today, the number of coleco vision owners might be growing faster than intellivision.

I think there's still a lot of capacity for Intellivision collectors to buy more cartridges. The limiting factor might be how quickly the makers can fold boxes.

Edited by mr_me

I can attest to this. Having made a few homebrews I get around 40-50's done with inserts and everything and I just say f&%$ IT. tHAT'S ENOUGH. And go program a new game and never make another copy of said game.

The limiting factor might be how quickly the makers can fold boxes.