IGNORED

Working on Mega Man clone for 7800

TigerSuperman

What a great idea! Mega Man... but not Mega Man! :) I had a similar idea of making a Mega Man game on the 7800, but not a port of any of the existing games. An original Mega Man game on the 7800. In fact, I already started drawing a few of the Robot Masters. All of them named after something Atari related. Missile (Command) Man, Yar Man (The Fly?), Centi(pede) Man, Tempest Man, etc. etc., you get the idea...

Here is Missile Man in 7800 160a mode :)

LD9plBf.gif

Some other 7800 crap I've done...

maImObi.gif

RaODpRd.gif

fi59Y5t.gif

y6GcLaO.gif 9xuWZdG.gif

I do lots of 7800/PC-Engine sprite/bg work, as well as a lot of POKEY/TIA chiptune/sound fx work as well. I'm sure you've already got about 65536 PM's already offering sprite work, but I could help out.

P.S., You sound like you're on the fence about POKEY music, but if you decide to do it, I can help you out there, as well... just know that the standard 4-channel mono POKEY *CAN* sound wonderful and even usurp the 2A03 in some respects. :) Here is a playlist of all my Atari chiptune music, if you'd like an idea of how my POKEY music generally sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXS-1k_cLBlzd9q7MTUFXY_osY56vKRne

So you're this Fragmare guy everyone's been talking about, everyone being 2 people. Hee Hee.

I actually do need a sprite expert as my sprite art skills outside basic boxy cars and stick men is not the greatest. That Drill Man edit looks close to later NES sprites which I was not expecting the 7800 to pull off, so you definitely got my attention.

Curt Vendel advised that after XM is done, he has plans to do an ASIC run of pokeys. This should be much more affordable than FPGA.

Hey, this is something to look forward to.

Also yes I will, but I do want to actually finish a project for once first!

I actually do need a sprite expert as my sprite art skills outside basic boxy cars and stick men is not the greatest. That Drill Man edit looks close to later NES sprites which I was not expecting the 7800 to pull off, ...

The NES features a palette of 53 colors, 8x8 tiles / 3 colors from 4 palettes , 8x8 or 8x16 sprites / 3 colors from 4 palettes.

The 7800 features a palette of 256 colors and, with the 160B mode, a single sprite / tiles can have 12 colors from 2 palettes + transparent / background (and without limits of size). Therefore the color depth can be considerable despite of the wide pixel aspect ratio.

To save CPU / GPU time, an interesting compromise is to have background in 160A and sprites in 160B (as in Bentley Bear Crystal Quest).

post-29074-0-83320500-1538367210.png

post-29074-0-63762900-1538367225.png

post-29074-0-03342000-1538367244.png

• Like 4

No problem. And I agree, this project does appear to be in Fragmare's wheelhouse. It might mean a significant commitment of time for him depending on the scope of the project, though. I worked like a demon while I had a little bit of free time on my hands to bang my last project out, so I find that if it's something that I don't feel passionate about, I won't volunteer. I'm still holding out hope that you'll take a crack at fleshing out the Toki prototype rom. As the graphics stand now they are still quite sparse and uninspired, but I think that if you gave that game a good once over you could make it look like something really special.

• Like 4

Can you share a video of your game in action if you are not yet ready to share the actual code?

It's not done yet, I'm working on it with a few people from this board. I'm polishing the levels and then will get some help on the sprites and backgrounds.

Soon I'll throw together a small demo of a level to get peoples opinion on how it looks, upload it to Youtube.

Speaking of which thanks for those who messaged me to help out, especially Fragmare the sprite master!

• Like 3

It's not done yet, I'm working on it with a few people from this board. I'm polishing the levels and then will get some help on the sprites and backgrounds.

Soon I'll throw together a small demo of a level to get peoples opinion on how it looks, upload it to Youtube.

Speaking of which thanks for those who messaged me to help out, especially Fragmare the sprite master!

OK, I was more curious to see what you came up with on your own over the last year. :)

You will! I'm just trying to do juggle multiple things personalities at the same time.

Ya I'm starting to think this kid is just trying to get the AA community to make this game for him too. Until I see a years worth of his own code I'm officially calling this a goose chasing vapor.

• Like 1