IGNORED

Atari Age Votes: Best shooting game on the 2600! (Ranking)

TigerSuperman

1. Megamania

2. Seaquest

3. River Raid

4. Beamrider

5. Space Invaders

It is just too hard for me to put Homebrews in the same list. Too much has gone on between the release of the originals and excellent homebrews like Space Rocks and Juno First. However if those two brews aren't in your top list somewhere then you're one of rare taste indeed.

I noticed a few Spider-Fighter mentions, I'll have to check that game out at some point.

Definitely check it out because it’s a fantastic lesser known game, one of the best shooters I’ve ever played on ANY console! “Frenetic” is the word I would use to describe it. If that game doesn’t make your hands sweat, nothing will! So naturally it’s going to be my number 1:

1) Spider Fighter

2) River Raid

3) Combat (especially pong tanks and single jets)

4) Asteroids

5) Phoenix

Definitely check it out because it’s a fantastic lesser known game, one of the best shooters I’ve ever played on ANY console! “Frenetic” is the word I would use to describe it. If that game doesn’t make your hands sweat, nothing will! So naturally it’s going to be my number 1:

1) Spider Fighter

2) River Raid

3) Combat (especially pong tanks and single jets)

4) Asteroids

5) Phoenix

You make it sound quite exciting so I'll have to take your advice!

The biggest problem with Spider Fighter is that it is too easy. If you play on the default settings, it is quite easy to just play forever (er . . . until 1mil). The biggest thing that will stop you is your thumb getting sore.

I always have to flip the difficulty to "hard" to make that one more enjoyable, and if a game is too easy for me, that is saying something.

• Like 2

The biggest problem with Spider Fighter is that it is too easy. If you play on the default settings, it is quite easy to just play forever (er . . . until 1mil). The biggest thing that will stop you is your thumb getting sore.

I always have to flip the difficulty to "hard" to make that one more enjoyable, and if a game is too easy for me, that is saying something.

Exactly my problem with the game. It does not matter which setting I have it, I still find I can beat it. It's too generous with extra lives.

Surprised to see so many people like Demon Attack

See that sounds strange to me because as far as I was concerned, when Demon Attack came out it was a collective nuclear bomb of never-before-seen 2600-gaming-awesomeness in my and my Atari friend's minds :lol: Even moreseo than the early Activision games.

• Like 1

See that sounds strange to me because as far as I was concerned, when Demon Attack came out it was a collective nuclear bomb of never-before-seen 2600-gaming-awesomeness in my and my Atari friend's minds :lol: Even moreseo than the early Activision games.

During the time I never stopped hearing about Demon Attack. But by the mid 80's onward all I heard was people talking about River Raid with the occasional Space Invaders and Asteroids mention.

Glad to see such a huge variety of games listed! Some of the homebrews look great, I wonder if the maker of Juno First hangs on Atari Age.

Gotta say, Demon Attack is probably my all-time favorite 2600 game. Fun and simple. Extremely repetitive, sure, but something about it just keeps drawing you back for more.

One of the things Atari era games did that weren't replicated by other consoles that I always found cool was that particle effect spawning when enemies appeared or got destroyed. Demon Attack took advantage of it well. It was also a lot more hectic than slower games like Space Invaders where the ships would just line up and slowly decent from the top of the screen. In Demon Attack enemies would appear randomly on screen via cool particle effects.