IGNORED

WILL CLOAK AND DAGGER EVER GET FINISHED?

Neogeoman

As the first system I received as a kid I credit the 5200 as being the beginning of my love for video games and collecting that continues today. I think most 5200 collectors consider Cloak and Dagger to be the holy grail of all 5200 prototypes especially after getting teased with it in the movie. With all the talented homebrew programmers out there is there any reason as to why someone hasn't finished this game yet? The only reason I can see is that Dave Comstock owns the rights. If that's the case I hope he releases it at some point in time so that every 5200 collector can add this game to their collection. I know there would be many people who would jump at the chance to get this game

Comstock does not own the rights; he was the author of the incomplete C&D prototype produced at Atari, which has been available for some time. After the source code for the prototype was recovered by Curt Vendel, Comstock was working on completing it in his spare time, but as I recall, he changed jobs in the mid-2000s and the effort was eventually abandoned. There's nothing preventing someone else from picking it up and doing their own version, although it would probably be best to start from scratch.

While I agree that a fully working & complete Atari 5200 Cloak & Dagger cartridge would indeed be the crown jewel of the Atari 5200 library, and that having one or both of the original programmers completing the 50% work in progress proto would be the most authentic way to do so, I think it would be even better to start from scratch, using the absolute best tools available (such as skilled programming & the largest possible cartridge rom capacity) and essensially duplicate the cartridge in the movie; whereby it being arcade perfect, and, implementing the special secret files Easter egg.

I do agree with you as starting from scratch is the best way to go. With today's technology and using a larger cart size with more memory the game could better replicate the arcade game. I'm just surprised nobody has undertaken this considering how big the homebrew scene has become and the history this game has and the lore around it. While the 5200 homebrew community isnt nearly as big as the one for the colecovision I just hope one 5200 superfan with the knowledge and know how to get this game done takes on the challenge. To play this game on an actual 5200 would be amazing. I have wanted this game since I was a kid and saw it in the movie while it was still in theaters.

From what your saying it probably has to be done from the ground up. Sounds like it requires a lot of memory and not sure how they would make up for the second pokey unless they place it on the cart or change the sound altogether. Someone should take this game up and do a kickstarter if necessary. This would be the ultimate 5200 homebrew

The problem is, I just dont think theres enough hunger for this to happen out there. The few of us posting here in this thread is kind of proof positive of this. The vast majority of the Atari 5200 fans only have a mild interest in it and they are probably satisfied with the poor mans version. (a translated/converted 5200 version of the 400/800 proto)

• 2 weeks later...

From what your saying it probably has to be done from the ground up. Sounds like it requires a lot of memory and not sure how they would make up for the second pokey unless they place it on the cart or change the sound altogether. Someone should take this game up and do a kickstarter if necessary. This would be the ultimate 5200 homebrew

You can do the same Dual POKEY upgrade on the 5200 that the A8 users do.

• 1 year later...
On 10/1/2018 at 8:44 PM, Supergun said:

The problem is, I just dont think theres enough hunger for this to happen out there. The few of us posting here in this thread is kind of proof positive of this. The vast majority of the Atari 5200 fans only have a mild interest in it and they are probably satisfied with the poor mans version. (a translated/converted 5200 version of the 400/800 proto)

This is a dream cart for me.  I’m sure if someone made it and put it up on the Atari Age storeit would be a big seller.

9 hours ago, Tron Unit said:

This is a dream cart for me.  I’m sure if someone made it and put it up on the Atari Age storeit would be a big seller.

I kind of agree.  I mean, I don't care about the backstory to the game (never saw the movie, have no nostalgic pull towards that never-was game) but I am a 5200 fan and I gladly bought the boxed Realsports Curling homebrew even though I could not give a shit about curling.  So I'd definitely buy another cool back-in-the-day game that finally appeared for the 5200, my favorite homebrew purchase is still Tempest so far but I'm betting that Scramble is going to rise up that favorites list.

On 2/10/2020 at 7:27 PM, ledzep said:

I kind of agree.  I mean, I don't care about the backstory to the game (never saw the movie, have no nostalgic pull towards that never-was game) but I am a 5200 fan and I gladly bought the boxed Realsports Curling homebrew even though I could not give a shit about curling.  So I'd definitely buy another cool back-in-the-day game that finally appeared for the 5200, my favorite homebrew purchase is still Tempest so far but I'm betting that Scramble is going to rise up that favorites list.

Yes I think it would sell simply because it’s another new game being made for the 5200 and the appeal that it was never before released would even attract buyers who are unfamiliar with the film.  This needs to happen.  If you build it they will come.

On 2/13/2020 at 10:28 AM, AverageSoftware said:

Happy... but sad.

Hahahaa, nothing personal but I'm not into traditional Olympics type sports (games/individual competitions, mostly, I'm more of a team sports guy).  I don't include when they add in normal sports like baseball.  On top of that, I'm not that big a fan of video game sports since they typically are so far away from reality, especially in the classic 8-bit era.  But Realsports Curling is inspiring me to get the rest of the 5200 sports games (football, baseball) so it served its admirable purpose.  And it uses a trak-ball so it's required for me, in much the same way that I could not not buy Xari Arena.

2 hours ago, AverageSoftware said:

Curling doesn't use the trak-ball, at least not on purpose.

Dammit, my bad, was thinking of another game.  That's what working 6-day weeks gets you, a desire to nap while driving to work and not remembering which 5200 games use trak-balls.

Still, the work done on that game was so good, and the packaging so right, there was no way I wasn't going to buy it once it was finished.

The C&D arcade game was pretty intense and I would love to see a port of it. I think it would only work on the 5200 as opposed to any other vintage system. This game can be added to the list of 5200 games that we'd like to see finished like Black Belt. With the large amount of memory available with the 5200 I'd like to see more retro arcade ports as well. 

• 2 months later...