IGNORED

Possible Phillips CD-i Mini

Hwlngmad

So there's Burn:Cycle and??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Are there 15-20 good games on the CD-i people would want to play?

1. Burn:Cycle

2. Flashback

3. Dragon Lair II??

4. Zelda Cd-i??? (If they get permission)

5. Other Zelda Cd-i??? (If they get permission)

6. Other Zelda Cd-i??? (If they get permission)

7. Hotel Mario??? (If they get permission)

8. Flowers of Paul Mapleforp?

9. ?????

10. Maybe Mad Dog mccree?

Edited by Bubsy3000
  • Like 1

No joke! But, it seems to me that Phillips was showing some legit interest. Crazy, but how nuts would that be if they actually produced a CD-i mini? That would be f*cking crazy in my book.

So there's Burn:Cycle and??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Are there 15-20 good games on the CD-i people would want to play?

1. Burn:Cycle
2. Flashback
3. Dragon Lair II??
4. Zelda Cd-i??? (If they get permission)
5. Other Zelda Cd-i??? (If they get permission)
6. Other Zelda Cd-i??? (If they get permission)
7. Hotel Mario??? (If they get permission)
8. Flowers of Paul Mapleforp?
9. ?????
10. Maybe Mad Dog mccree?

100% agree. Just weird that someone would get an 'official' response from Phillips saying something like that. Probably much ado about nothing, but just thought this is pretty far out there and would pass it along ;)

Yeah, this is just the guy who is in charge of their Twitter account. Might not have even known what a CD-I was before someone tweeted it at him. I doubt he has any pull over what future products the company puts out.

Obviously you can debate the rankings given here https://videogamecritic.com/cdi.htm?ex=1(why he doesn't see Mutant League Football for great game it is, I don't know), but looks like there is 10-20 titles that honestly could go on a mini-console. I doubt this gets made, but one never knows...

I thought Atari Age and Video Game Critic had some beef going on? He had some guys attacking this place in a thread a few days ago.

Really? I am unaware of that. If that is true, that is sad as everyone has the right to his or her opinion, just like VGC disagrees with my love and respect for Mutant League Football.

I thought Atari Age and Video Game Critic had some beef going on? He had some guys attacking this place in a thread a few days ago.

I had never heard of Video Game Critic until I read this thread yesterday. But I went to his site and read some of his reviews, and I don't see why anybody cares what that guy thinks. He fawns over the SNES and far too harsh on everything else. He gave Slime World, Dracula the Undead, and Blue Lightning all bad reviews, bashing them for problems that don't even exist. His complaints about Slime World in particular make it clear he didn't take the time to figure out how the game works. I guess when you write thousands of reviews, you can't afford to spend more than a few minutes on the obscure games.

I agree. His critiques of Blue Lightning, Todd's Adventure in Slime World, Warbirds, Mutant League Football, and other seem off base to me. However, not every critic is going to see things your way, no matter how awesome or how much you really loved a game and got enjoyment out of it. Just the nature of the beast. Still, considering the shear volume of reviews (with documentation) he has done, his website is pretty prominent when it comes to reviews of video games, for better or worse.

I had never heard of Video Game Critic until I read this thread yesterday. But I went to his site and read some of his reviews, and I don't see why anybody cares what that guy thinks. He fawns over the SNES and far too harsh on everything else. He gave Slime World, Dracula the Undead, and Blue Lightning all bad reviews, bashing them for problems that don't even exist. His complaints about Slime World in particular make it clear he didn't take the time to figure out how the game works. I guess when you write thousands of reviews, you can't afford to spend more than a few minutes on the obscure games.

• Like 1

The thing is his reviews have been done over years, and he has put quite a bit of time on every grouping of games he does. So excusing some of his reviews because he "may have rushed through them" doesn't make any sense. He's also reviews many obscure games, including some Atari Age post-release software. I do agree that critics will always have different tastes.

I don't know why the beef started, but apparently looking at older threads here and there, it's been a thing for awhile.

Edited by Bubsy3000
  • Like 1

He has been at it like what nearly 20 years I think. It's a lot of volume but time to back it up. He's shorter to the point, and he includes his rating grade and readers too so you can see where people agree widely or disagree too. I have questioned his thoughts on some Nintendo products, SNK, NEC, Sega, but others even if I liked them I could see why he'd take a shot grade or comment wise. Chocking it up to him being full of it though, that's a personal hang up as his grades over time seem to be enough to speak for more than that.

• Like 1

Here: https://videogamecritic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=134793&t=17302

Not attacking, per se. He'd gotten the impression that some folks here thought he had an anti Atari bias, & asked his readers if that was true. Most just confirmed that he wasn't & gave reasons why. By the end of the 1st page it became a discussion about his grading scale, without any specific reference to AtariAge. This is the only post I saw that seemed to be against AtariAge: https://videogamecritic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=134793&t=17302#p163121 Apparently, that poster's not read the Jaguar forum in 10 years....

My own post: https://videogamecritic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=134793&t=17302&start=20#p163210 I can't see any anti-AtariAge or anti-VGC stuff going on. Not in an amount significant enough to care about.

Edited by pacman000

I doubt Philips will do a CD-i Mini.

Several reasons :

- Philips doesn't want to talk about their past in general. CD-i amateurs never get any answers from Philips. The infos we have on the CD-i mostly come from former employees. It seems that Philips is even more secretive on the Cd-i than with most of their failed or obscure products, or their past products in general (try getting official Philips infos on their MSX, the VG-5000, the Video-2000 VCR, or even the Videopac!)

- Most famous Philips CD-i games are either ports from other platforms or external editors games. Licensing would be probably costly for only little interest from consumers (but I mgiht be wrong on that one).

- the CD-i works on OS/9, an operating system still used today. It's unlikely that the company that publish OS/9 will do it at dirt down costs, so it will add up to the price od the system.

Mostly, I do'nt see Philips doing a CD-i because they don't wanna talk about it, period.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

Saw this article (http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/09/random_fans_ask_for_a_philips_cd-i_classic_philips_says_we_will_try_our_best) in another thread. If this is true (and I highly doubt it), it looks like the 1990s may be alive and well once again.

I'm sure a lot of those re-tweets are jokes; people think it's a funny idea; they don't want a new CD-i.

The account manager's response sounds like a a brush off. He has to stay positive, so he can't say no, but he also won't say "yes!"

I'm sure a lot of those re-tweets are jokes; people think it's a funny idea; they don't want a new CD-i.

The account manager's response sounds like a a brush off. He has to stay positive, so he can't say no, but he also won't say "yes!"

Youtube has proven many people want a new anything, the question is, is it feasible to do? In this case it wouldn't. Since the CD-i was a multi-media device you'd basically have to pun in effort just to strip down everything and just have it play games, which would defeat the entire point of the CD-i and also likely cost more to do.

It'd likely be better just to release the games they still have rights to in a collection disc for PC/Xbox/PS4/Swtich than a mini version if they ever were serious about re-releasing software. That way you can play Burn:Cycle, Flashback, Your Zelda/Mario CD-i games, and uh....... Other games.

• Like 1

I enjoy reading his site, but one should take his opinions with a large grain of salt. They're from an extremely casual perspective. It's obvious that he doesn't spend enough time with many games. He's somewhat notorious for downgrading games for being "too hard" (Contra Hardcorps is a prime example). Other games it seems like he barely played them for five minutes and then wrote the review. He criticized NES Gyruss for being "too easy" but based on his measly high score of 160,900 he barely played it and didn't come close to beating it, so his opinion of the overall difficulty is worthless.

The site is still fun and informative covering all the different console eras. Just bear in mind that it's very casual and not always well informed.

Edited by mbd30
  • Like 1

I enjoy reading his site, but one should take his opinions with a large grain of salt. They're from an extremely casual perspective. It's obvious that he doesn't spend enough time with many games. He's somewhat notorious for downgrading games for being "too hard" (Contra Hardcorps is a prime example). Other games it seems like he barely played them for five minutes and then wrote the review. He criticized NES Gyruss for being "too easy" but based on his measly high score of 160,900 he barely played it and didn't come close to beating it, so his opinion of the overall difficulty is worthless.

The site is still fun and informative covering all the different console eras. Just bear in mind that it's very casual and not always well informed.

I do find it odd he has admitted to playing games on ST's and Amigas but won't put up reviews for them. In fact his C64 reviews are actually not his, they are by a contributor. The only computers he's reviewed is the 8-bit line and I think that was because of the XEGS. I'd write it off as him doing those because the XEGS was a console, but he had a 64GS and he had An ST and an Amiga so it seems there's something going on where he refuses to review computer games most of the time.

post-10336-0-99555100-1538463147_thumb.jpg

That case pictured in the image is the model I have except mine has the MAGNAVOX label. I like it, I even have the Mpeg cart plugged in under the left side panel. Honestly, even though this is a joke / parody I would love one, mostly because most original CD-i consoles are a ticking time bomb internally the timekeeper module are ready to fail, the batteries end up needing to be replaced unfortunately it is not a simple fix or mod, you literally have to cut away at the timekeeper module to remove the old battery, a flaw in the design, once the battery fails unlike other consoles it does not just lose the date keeping but can cause boot failure as well. Again, if this were to become a real thing as highly unlikely I would be all over it but I would want two models, one with the BEST 20 titles and one with the WORST 20 titles for laughs. Of course one that could be hacked to add titles would be the best option.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 2

attachicon.gifDndfhvwXcAE_rXA (1).jpg

That case pictured in the image is the model I have except mine has the MAGNAVOX label. I like it, I even have the Mpeg cart plugged in under the left side panel. Honestly, even though this is a joke / parody I would love one, mostly because most original CD-i consoles are a ticking time bomb internally the timekeeper module are ready to fail, the batteries end up needing to be replaced unfortunately it is not a simple fix or mod, you literally have to cut away at the timekeeper module to remove the old battery, a flaw in the design, once the battery fails unlike other consoles it does not just lose the date keeping but can cause boot failure as well. Again, if this were to become a real thing as highly unlikely I would be all over it but I would want two models, one with the BEST 20 titles and one with the WORST 20 titles for laughs. Of course one that could be hacked to add titles would be the best option.

"Playboy's Complete Massage"

Seems like a good deal. Games for the kids as well as "games" for mom and dad.

• Like 4

"Playboy's Complete Massage"

Seems like a good deal. Games for the kids as well as "games" for mom and dad.

imma hold out for 'Girls of the Big 10' ;)

Hahahahahahah! That would be awesome, that's for sure! :grin:

Sorry guys but those adult CD-i games are rated R censored at best. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlTLio9o2vI

Edited by Bubsy3000