IGNORED

Possible Phillips CD-i Mini

Hwlngmad

Hence my reason for starting the topic. However, as I have said previously, I don't believe that this will happen at all. Still, just the response that was done by Phillips themselves doesn't necessarily mean they were just trying to be nice and/or just trying to blow somebody off. There could be, and again I doubt it, some chance that Phillips is actually looking at what is going on with the retro gaming market and the mini consoles. After all, the fifth generation had many a player (Sega, Atari, Nintendo, Sony, 3DO, etc.) that said "me too". It is not out of the realm of possibilities that another company from the past throws their hat into the mini console ring and/or double dips like Nintendo with the NES and SNES Classics.

A number of the YouTubers and sites who have posted about this, seem to take it for real, that the CD-i Classic/Mini really is happening...

Edited by Hwlngmad

A number of the YouTubers and sites who have posted about this, seem to take it for real, that the CD-i Classic/Mini really is happening...

These are the same people who thought the Ataribox was "awesome" and the Polymega was "the next big thing". YouTubers really need to remember what credibility is while they have some.

"

• Like 2

These are the same people who thought the Ataribox was "awesome" and the Polymega was "the next big thing". YouTubers really need to remember what credibility is while they have some.

"

Exactly! :P Let it not be said that the "dude from Phillips" has no sense of humour, he is trolling everyone! :rolling:

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

Agreed. It is something to talk about and discuss to lead to bigger topics concerning the Phillips CD-i. However, anyone thinking this has a really good chance of being made and/or making a 10 to 15 minute video discussing how this is really coming needs to lay off of the chronic for awhile.

"

In any case, if Philips want to test the waters, it is now or never. The concept of releasing a reimplentation of your old hardware has been generally accepted, but the market is not yet satiated. If they wait 1-2 years, the window probably has closed.

Of course as mentioned before, an Odyssey^2/G7000 console would be much more classic than a CD-i console but perhaps also more obscure. I'm not sure if the two formats make sense to combine into one system, as they're quite different and more or less one decade apart. Even if Philips would honor their foray into MSX computers - where they made some excellent hardware but I'm not at all sure about their software catalog - that would be one rather weird system trying to cover everything from 1978 (?) to 1995.

I only cited them as even if those, at least the Videopac in Europe, was a success for Philips, they refuse to say much about it.

And indeed, there would be a market for a "MiniPac" I'm sure, but with Voice and Videopac+ capabilities and packing the 60 1st Party games (or at least 57 games. I'm not sure that the 3 "board games" would be useful unless board reproductions are included as well).

Else, restricting it to 20 games would be ridiculous.

• Like 1

I can't even come up with a list of 5 games that would make me buy such a thing

I think the CD-i has some popular PC games like Myst but I may be mistaken. That plus Flashback and Burn:Cycle equals 3 games already! Just need two more ummmmmmmm.........

Tetris and....

In any case, if Philips want to test the waters, it is now or never. The concept of releasing a reimplentation of your old hardware has been generally accepted, but the market is not yet satiated. If they wait 1-2 years, the window probably has closed.

Of course as mentioned before, an Odyssey^2/G7000 console would be much more classic than a CD-i console but perhaps also more obscure. I'm not sure if the two formats make sense to combine into one system, as they're quite different and more or less one decade apart. Even if Philips would honor their foray into MSX computers - where they made some excellent hardware but I'm not at all sure about their software catalog - that would be one rather weird system trying to cover everything from 1978 (?) to 1995.

Don't think Odyssey^2 would be more obscure, didn't it sell over 2 million copies?

The O2 did have (limited) success here in the States, and was (somewhat) popular in Europe and Brazil. An O2 mini would make more logical sense, but I don't think there is really too big of a market and/or demand for one. I could be wrong, as it would be very cool to have an O2 mini, but I doubt very, very much that it will ever happen.

I doubt there are enough people nostalgic for the O2 to make a mini worthwhile.

Damn, the graphics for that system were a mixed bag. KC Munchkin looked good. On the other hand, Q*bert and Popeye almost make the Atari 2600 look like a Sega Genesis by comparison.

One thing that's becoming obvious is that the viability of a miniconsole is directly proportional to how well the brand is remembered TODAY, not back its heyday. Nintendo and Atari can crank them out, as can Sega for the most part. SNK and Mattel struggle.

Phillips is just up the creek.

• Like 2

...Why?

People didn't even seem to care about CD-i that much back when it was relevant; it's more infamous than famous, and that's because of the Mario and Zelda games. Also in terms of games actually worth playing, I honestly can't think of much besides Burn:Cycle (which I could've sworn was a 3DO game but guess not). I'd much rather have a 3DO Classic, tbh; that system actually has a nice handful of pretty good and interesting games, enough to fill out a collection of like 20-40 pack-ins.

I mean, a CD-i classic makes about as much sense as a Tandy VIS Classic....there's no real point. And there's a stable of other systems easily more deserving of a Classic mini ahead of either of those two. Off the top of my head, you've got PC-Engine, Saturn, Dreamcast, 3DO, Gamecube, and I wouldn't mind some kind of mini-arcade Classic-type thing in the vein of the Arcade1UP series (but better specs) for the CPS2, Namco System series , Sega System + Model series of arcade systems, or Atari's arcade games from the '80s and '90s on a single cabinet. $300 for any of those would be worth it if they were done right.

Edited by 00010000
  • Like 1

If it happened, I'd buy it depending on the games and price. But they'd need to wrangle a lot of licensing deals to happen so it's not going to happen. I'd want Link Faces of Evil and Hotel Mario from Nintendo. Then you'd have digital leisure with Dragon's Lair and Space Ace. The other random scatter shot stuff like Mutant Rampage Body Slam, Lords of the Rising Sun, Little Divil, Escape from Cyber City, Namco Museum, Tetris, Pinball, Kether, Voyeur, Burn Cycle, Chaos Control are just 15 games off the top of my head I think would be a nice collection.

• Like 1

Let's make a list of CDi games that fit the following criteria:

1) people remember them

2) aren't tied to movie or TV licenses

3) don't contain properties owned by companies that will never let them be used (Nintendo)

4) belong to companies that actually would try to use them. (How many of those games are in copyright limbo now?)

That's your list of potential CDi mini games. And it's a darn short and pathetic list.

• Like 2