IGNORED

Protoboards

nuxi

Excellent! Ever consider a cartridge protoboard? I suppose I could cut traces on a double sided game and glue a breadboard on top, but it seems a shame to ruin yet another copy of TI invaders.

How about the side port? What's the part # and distributor that's being used for the edge connector on, e.g., The TIpi?

I make many different cartridge boards. Black boards will work with bank-switched cartridges up to 128K in size, using inverted banking signals. This works for many older cartridge images, and the chip size is jumper selected. Red boards work with non-inverted images up to 512K and are suitable for a lot of the recent homebrews. Yellow boards work with non-inverted images up to 2M in size, but require a programmer (or programmer adapter) capable of programming 27C160 chips. Blue boards (UberGROM) allow up to 512K images (non-inverted) and they add the capability to include up to 120K of additional GROM (using an ATMEL 1284P to simulate the GROM). I have plenty of all of these boards in stock--assembled and bare. Lastly, there is a supercart board (that I need to order more of) that incorporates all of the changes to a TI cartridge board needed to change it into a 32K Supercart.

Side port connectors are somewhat of an issue. I buy mine from Jameco or Mouser. The minimum order size for the saddle-type or the WW type is 14 connectors, at about $9 a pop. A lot more than you usually need for individual experimentation. There are also somewhat lower-quality connectors from Taiwan that are a lot cheaper, but they only come with very short pins (or in an RA variant that you can form to make something with longer pins).

• Like 2

Excellent! Ever consider a cartridge protoboard? I suppose I could cut traces on a double sided game and glue a breadboard on top, but it seems a shame to ruin yet another copy of TI invaders.

How about the side port? What's the part # and distributor that's being used for the edge connector on, e.g., The TIpi?

I have a boatload of pulled ti card boards you could hack.. let me know.. boxes of them

Side port connectors are somewhat of an issue. I buy mine from Jameco or Mouser. The minimum order size for the saddle-type or the WW type is 14 connectors, at about $9 a pop. A lot more than you usually need for individual experimentation. There are also somewhat lower-quality connectors from Taiwan that are a lot cheaper, but they only come with very short pins (or in an RA variant that you can form to make something with longer pins).

Ugh. So basically cheaper and easier to pull apart a speech synth.

For the record, this http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/ti/ti.htm#i2c_interface is the flavor of the nonsense I'm imagining. Nothing practical, just goofing around.

Could you give the part number for Mouser and Jameco? I have searched for those darn things quite often and I'm surely looking in the wrong category.

I got the less desirable 44-position card edge connectors from AliExpress, both the the short straight pin kind. and the right angle bendy formy kind (ugh, getting those pins into PCB through holes is tough.)

I'm still relying on the 44 position card edge to IDC ribbon cable connector from the CF7+. Really useful thing.

I just pulled up my records to figure out where I bought the connectors. Digi-Key sells them. The connectors are made by Sullins and here are the part numbers:

ECC22DRMN-ND is the Wire-Wrap type

ECC22DRMN-S288-ND is the Saddle style type (these grip the board nicely and are really stable). If you look at the pictures of the side port splitter on Arcadeshopper's site, you will see this connector in action.

Edited by Ksarul

I just pulled up my records to figure out where I bought the connectors. Digi-Key sells them. The connectors are made by Sullins and here are the part numbers:

ECC22DRMN-ND is the Wire-Wrap type

ECC22DRMN-S288-ND is the Saddle style type (these grip the board nicely and are really stable). If you look at the pictures of the side port splitter on Arcadeshopper's site, you will see this connector in action.

Thank you. I ordered 10 for my own use. Saddle types, $64.06 for 10 today, non-stocked, delivery in 3 weeks.

Edited by FarmerPotato

• 2 weeks later...

I may just go ahead and tear apart a speech synth. I've got three. I could use the chips for something else. A talking cosmac would be fun.

As far as the cartridge slot, I guess having a copy of easy bug would be ideal for testing. Maybe I'll just put the grom in the console so I don't have to worry about it.