So sad to see that Gyruss seems to have so few fans around today, as it was an amazing experience in the early '80s that was carried over to most home platforms. I will always love the A8 version, even with its chunky graphics.

I would love to see Gyruss 2000 for the Jag. :)

I really like Gyruss on NES. It's not a standard shmup though.

• Like 2

Tanooki,

I don't consider 3D Wing Commander type gamesto be SHMUPS, but I like those, too.

Galaxy on Fire 3 has IAP and grind but you can outright buy the story mode. Production values are great (like everything from this company) but it hasn't hooked my like GOF2 did.

I think you might enjoy Subdivision Infinity. Pay once, no nonsense.

https://toucharcade.com/2017/06/02/subdivision-infinity-review-shoot-first-no-need-for-questions/

I don't really consider it one either, just threw the game out there as it's a popular one (at least GOF2 was.) Super Hydorah looks the best of the lot there, also don't think it has IAP abuse on it either but it's just a normal game.

Your recommendation there looks kind of like Everspace and WC mixed together as it has the flight and combat, but also resources and mining along with scrounging up better parts.