IGNORED

8 years later, How has Kinect Aged as a gaming device?

to give a 'serious' answer to this, my main beef is that Microsoft didn't make the adapter readily available for an extended period of time.

my daughter *LOVED* the Kinect (she's 12) and had been using one since the 360 days. She was super bummed to find that she couldn't play Fruit Ninja or Just Dance (she looooooves the dancing games) on the One S because we were late adopters. By the time we picked one up, the adapters were going for crazy-ass prices on eBay/etc and we couldn't find them anywhere.

i looked at it as nothing really more than a novelty, but MS had a good idea with typically lousy execution.

• Like 1

to give a 'serious' answer to this, my main beef is that Microsoft didn't make the adapter readily available for an extended period of time.

my daughter *LOVED* the Kinect (she's 12) and had been using one since the 360 days. She was super bummed to find that she couldn't play Fruit Ninja or Just Dance (she looooooves the dancing games) on the One S because we were late adopters. By the time we picked one up, the adapters were going for crazy-ass prices on eBay/etc and we couldn't find them anywhere.

i looked at it as nothing really more than a novelty, but MS had a good idea with typically lousy execution.

How late did you get it, because Microsoft was selling the Kinect adapter until this past January.

Some Gamestops have the adapter, in store. So one option is to call around your local GS's ad see if they have one, but ask for a manager because most of the regular employees don't know what it is or how to look it up on the system. Under $50 last I checked.

How late did you get it, because Microsoft was selling the Kinect adapter until this past January.

Some Gamestops have the adapter, in store. So one option is to call around your local GS's ad see if they have one, but ask for a manager because most of the regular employees don't know what it is or how to look it up on the system. Under $50 last I checked.

How's that apology coming boyo?

• Like 2

How's that apology coming boyo?

You can call all new members this guy all you want, but just because you keep saying it doesn't make it true. So far the last few posts you've made have stopped conversations cold, including the Montezuma thread which was going well. Good thing the mods don't care if long-term members kill discussions in threads. Apparently you're doing a better job messing up the board than this "BIFF", which btw, I've asked and most people here have no idea who you guys are flipping talking about. Biff doesn't even give me search results!

I've confronted Albert himself about this so he can deal with you all and I can get this foolishness cleared up. Thought I know he's busy so he's likely to be annoyed by this BIFF crap if he is as bad as everyone keeps implying. He helped me with the voting thread, which was also a thread you specifically tried to derail JBrel, luckily no one cared about your delusional ramblings and continued posting and discussing their favorite 2600 shooters.

Even now, while trying to get this thread back on track, you come and do nothing but screw up the conversation, again. 50 years old? More like 12.

If you want to get an apology from this guy BIFF, then just go to his old profile and spam his E-mail. That seems to be the type of behavior you'd be fine with given how you've acted so far. Maybe he'll give up, your brain will start getting blood circulation again, and you can stop disrupting threads along with your buddies. Most of the members here have no damn clue who this guy is or what he's done and I've talked with people who have high post counts and been here a long time.

In fact it's made some of you all so dumb, a guy can come in saying 2+2=8, which is wrong, but because some of you lose brain cells due to this BIFF craze, you all will attack me for saying the answer is 4, and give likes to the post that's completely wrong. That scenario has happened twice now on this forum in one way or another (Goose). It's amazing to me you guys are so full of it you don't realize you're the ones screwing up the forum just as much as this supposed BIFF, which by the way, noone seems to know who he is but the group of guys from the "classic gaming" section as ya'll are the only guys I keep seeing bringing it up.

Then your solution for dealing with this "issue" is to destroy all conversations by derailing the threads, some of which aren't even mine. Congratulations?

Of course I don't expect an actual response just more elementary "lol" talk, and some pics because you likely don't have the intelligence to actually discuss how you're coming to these baseless conclusions. So I'll just leave it at that and stick to threads you guys don't have the ability to derail.

Have a nice day.

Edited by TigerSuperman

My take on the whole thing. I think you will see I am, like many people, a fan, but a frustrated fan.

It had a strong cult following - those who liked the dance games, those who like the physical action games (especially energetic kids), the many XBox Fitness channel subscribers who were really pissed when the channel was cancelled. There were/are probably a million devotees who maybe aren't thrilled with it, but like using it nevertheless. There are probably millions more who would want to use it on occasion. In some ways it is like a lightgun in its limited range of games - how the games for it tend to be clones of a few scenarios, or like the original wii remote - interesting idea but often frustrating. However, it had a few more problems: it was apparently much harder to program games for it than these other off-beat controllers. Programmers didn't like it because 1) it was a royal pain to program a decent game, even though Microsoft tried to offer free support, which is why some games are practically duplicates of each other with different music or characters, 2) it was limited in its scope, which made programmers feel limited in creativity and 3) this combination led to crappy working original games because of developer apathy and time/money constraints. Another commonly mentioned problem is that unlike a lightgun or wii remote, most of the games had you off the couch the whole time and often required a decent physical workout - which some liked and most hated.

Microsoft should have seen this coming, with the experience the Nintendo Wii and Playstation 2 had with earlier attempts at motion cameras that ended after one and a handfull of titles, respectively. However, rather than let it be the quirky optional peripheral with a small following, like the Playstation Move, Microsoft, for some bizzare reason, decided to treat customers like idiots and children and tell them what they had to do and try to shove it down the throat of the 90% of potential xbox customers who didn't like the thing. They had to buy a Kinect with their Xbox One and have some kind of spyware in their house. Whether this was Microsoft trying to boost profits for itself or for software developers, its possible they were trying to get hesitant developers more on board by boosting developers' profits by requiring online game validation and forcing a wider market for Kinect-based games. This was a complete fiasco, of course. So, again, instead of letting it be the quirky optional peripheral with a small following, they decided the best publicity move was to try to get rid of it all together and to piss off hundreds of thousands of the most devoted Kinect fans by cancelling the Xbox Fitness channel. Some of these folks had put thousands of dollars into lifetime subscriptions that were ended after a few years. So, although Microsoft thought it would get customers on its side by banishing the Kinect, the few millions who still wanted it kept it limping along despite Microsoft's attempts to abandon it. It still had the problem of being too difficult to program games for it. Fru was considered one of the best games made for it, but the group who made it said it was not profitable enough for the work involved to make any more. Ubisoft makes its yearly clone of the previous year's Just Dance game and Virtual Air Guitar - originally known as THE last producer of original Kinect games, has now made three Boom Ball games, ported its handful of titles to whatever mediums it can and said it has to postpone new Kinect titles in order to make non-Kinect titles to keep the lights on.

Ultimately, the Kinect was a "like it or hate it" device (yeah, not love it or hate it) that Microsoft tried to force all its potential customers to accept for some crazy reason and ended up losing the battle and the war for the Xbox One for several years, and then alienated hundreds of thousands more by trying to get customers who did like it to abandon it. A real failure in market research and/or its application by megalomaniacal executives at several points in time.

• Like 2

Ultimately, the Kinect was a "like it or hate it" device (yeah, not love it or hate it) that Microsoft tried to force all its potential customers to accept for some crazy reason and ended up losing the battle and the war for the Xbox One for several years, and then alienated hundreds of thousands more by trying to get customers who did like it to abandon it. A real failure in market research and/or its application by megalomaniacal executives at several points in time.

I would agree with this 100%. Definitely add me to the "like it" group, but honestly it just came off as a response to the gimmicky Wii which is all fine and good, but for as many units as the Wii sold, it never sold the games you should have expected and I think that was because a lot of casual / non gamers were the ones purchasing the thing. Again that's fine, but unless your goal is to get a bunch of casual to non gamers to buy your console but then not support it by not buying software because ultimately they don't care much about games but occasionally enjoy "bowling" in their living room, or trying to lose weight by playing mini games, it seemed like a pretty expensive and dumb move that ultimately just pissed more serious gamers off.

• Like 1

I would agree with this 100%. Definitely add me to the "like it" group, but honestly it just came off as a response to the gimmicky Wii which is all fine and good, but for as many units as the Wii sold, it never sold the games you should have expected and I think that was because a lot of casual / non gamers were the ones purchasing the thing. Again that's fine, but unless your goal is to get a bunch of casual to non gamers to buy your console but then not support it by not buying software because ultimately they don't care much about games but occasionally enjoy "bowling" in their living room, or trying to lose weight by playing mini games, it seemed like a pretty expensive and dumb move that ultimately just pissed more serious gamers off.

For whatever reason, it seems like Sony has just been way ahead of the curve in making marketing count. Killing it with every console and not letting the Move become its downfall. Despite how crazy expensive and controversial the VR is, I have a feeling they will keep it a genuine success in some way.

You can call all new members this guy all you want, but just because you keep saying it doesn't make it true. So far the last few posts you've made have stopped conversations cold, including the Montezuma thread which was going well. Good thing the mods don't care if long-term members kill discussions in threads. Apparently you're doing a better job messing up the board than this "BIFF", which btw, I've asked and most people here have no idea who you guys are flipping talking about. Biff doesn't even give me search results!

I've confronted Albert himself about this so he can deal with you all and I can get this foolishness cleared up. Thought I know he's busy so he's likely to be annoyed by this BIFF crap if he is as bad as everyone keeps implying. He helped me with the voting thread, which was also a thread you specifically tried to derail JBrel, luckily no one cared about your delusional ramblings and continued posting and discussing their favorite 2600 shooters.

Even now, while trying to get this thread back on track, you come and do nothing but screw up the conversation, again. 50 years old? More like 12.

If you want to get an apology from this guy BIFF, then just go to his old profile and spam his E-mail. That seems to be the type of behavior you'd be fine with given how you've acted so far. Maybe he'll give up, your brain will start getting blood circulation again, and you can stop disrupting threads along with your buddies. Most of the members here have no damn clue who this guy is or what he's done and I've talked with people who have high post counts and been here a long time.

In fact it's made some of you all so dumb, a guy can come in saying 2+2=8, which is wrong, but because some of you lose brain cells due to this BIFF craze, you all will attack me for saying the answer is 4, and give likes to the post that's completely wrong. That scenario has happened twice now on this forum in one way or another (Goose). It's amazing to me you guys are so full of it you don't realize you're the ones screwing up the forum just as much as this supposed BIFF, which by the way, noone seems to know who he is but the group of guys from the "classic gaming" section as ya'll are the only guys I keep seeing bringing it up.

Then your solution for dealing with this "issue" is to destroy all conversations by derailing the threads, some of which aren't even mine. Congratulations?

Of course I don't expect an actual response just more elementary "lol" talk, and some pics because you likely don't have the intelligence to actually discuss how you're coming to these baseless conclusions. So I'll just leave it at that and stick to threads you guys don't have the ability to derail.

Have a nice day.

The Biff doth protest too much, methinks

• Like 1

For whatever reason, it seems like Sony has just been way ahead of the curve in making marketing count. Killing it with every console and not letting the Move become its downfall. Despite how crazy expensive and controversial the VR is, I have a feeling they will keep it a genuine success in some way.

I think if the PSmove sold better, Sony may have pursued it more on the PS3. The new strategy to use it as a VR controller is a smart way to use it without it being intrusive like on PS3. Now if only VR was cordless.

Edited by TigerSuperman

We didn't buy our One S until Mid-April- so trust me, we've been looking around.

• Like 1

We didn't buy our One S until Mid-April- so trust me, we've been looking around.

That sucks. Hopefully you get a good price on eBay at some point.

I remember many people being upset the S removed the kinect port. I guess Microsoft didn't realize more people liked Kinect than they thought, especially for voice commands and such. I think if they tried a gen 3 Kinect and had software prepared for ii in advance, with the correct messaging it could possibly come back and be popular.

You know Biffster, many of us know a lot more about your antics than you think we do. You stand out like a jungle of natheria at a Pitfall convention.

So who is the Biff you speak of????????

Q: What do you all think???

A: Yes, but you are wrong because (insert bull sh!t) and I (insert delusion of grandeur), and I'm (insert self promotion).

gallery_60562_2139_9407.jpggallery_60562_2139_318258.gif

8 years later, How has Kinect Aged as a gaming device? in Modern Gaming
Started by TigerSuperman, 2 Oct 2018

Which do you prefer between Montezuma's Revenge and P... in Atari 2600
Started by TigerSuperman, Yesterday, 2:01 PM

Only 15 companies survived from early console & arcad...

in Classic Gaming General
Started by TigerSuperman, 27 Sep 2018

Atari Age Votes: Best shooting game on the 2600! (Ran...

in Atari 2600

Started by TigerSuperman, 26 Sep 2018

Nintendo Ruined Video Games

photo-thumb-66005.jpg?_r=1537990741 Posted by TigerSuperman on Yesterday, 12:32 PM in Classic Gaming General

Gamemoose, on 04 Oct 2018 - 11:55 AM, said:snapback.png

I'm going to do a little fact checking on that. Not taking your word as gospel.

You have actually looked around the website you're currently posting in since you joined in 2006? AtariAge .com?

But yet market and industry go hand in hand. No market, your industry suffers.

But there was a market. That was the whole point.

The biggest retailer at the time with a honken 650+ page catalog and NOTHING for consoles. If that's not an indicator that something was up, I don't know what woukd have been.

You contradict your previous point because by saying nothing for consoles that includes the NES as well. Regardless yes, retailers were also hurt by the crash and were selective. But just because it wasn't in the book doesn't mean Sears didn't still sell those consoles as they had ads showing those consoles for sale in other media.

Unless you think people had to go to the black market alleys to buy 1 million 2600's or hear about the two new console entrants.

You seem to be confusing me saying the market wasn't dead with the crash never happened. Those aren't the same thing. Yes there was less retail presence, that doesn't mean the market was dead. People were clearly still buying video game products. If the market was dead Atari wouldn't have sold 1 million consoles in 85 and Nintendo wouldn't have sold 1 million consoles in 86. It would have taken Nintendo longer to reach higher numbers if no one was actually buying video game related products.

what stores got these carts into hands of game players? Where were those carts advertised? How did people know about them?

It's almost like the theory that the market was dead and you couldn't buy games was highly exaggerated or something.

Commercials were and are the way people found out about products. They are also a cultural snap shot on how business was pushed to the masses.

Yes and commercials did play for gaming consoles in 1985, did you think that because the industry got shaken nobody wanted to advertise anymore?

They compare the two side by side. If there was no intention of competition, why even mention or even compare the NES to the XEGS...which was marketed as a game console.

If the XEGS was supposed to compete they would have given it more marketing and produced a lot more units as they only had 100,000 units produced in 1987. The point of the XEGS was to increase sales of the 8-bit line of computers. Just because they used the NES in a commercial to try and take some buyers doesn't mean Atari was expecting the XEGS to actually beat the NES.

I didn't, you're reading what you want to read. The market push, with the "fun is back" ad campaign kicked in AFTER the NES was established.

This isn't true no matter how many times you say it. I know where you got your misinformation from as well, Wikipedia. The NES wasn't even released nationwide when the JR came out because the JR was released before September. Either way it doesn't matter, the NES didn't establish anything in 1986 other than just releasing so I don't get why you keep bringing it up. Establish what?

Also you did say the 2600 came out after the NES in 1986 as well. A mistake you are doubling down on as the 2600 was being sold in 1985. The 1986 release of the 2600 was the JR. and you only know that now because I brought it up. You didn't even know the commercial was related to the JR. before.

If it was released during the reign on the 2600, it would never have been "back" as it would have never left. Advertising is specific in its approach, so why waste the cash to give the impression that the "fun" left?

Because the 2600 was a 9 year old system in 1986? So by having a new redesign and new games "the fun is back" is a completely logical commercial that's simple to understand. You seem to be searching for straws in New York and not finding any.

gallery_60562_2139_6219.gif

• Like 1

I think the Wii managed to succeed with its non-traditional games and odd controllers by trading a lot of horsepower, compared to MS and Sony, for affordability, allowing it to penetrate the casual gamer market so successfully. $250 vs $400 or $500. I don't think the casual gamers were really aware or offended by its mediocre graphics. Also, unlike the Kinect, in addition to being a motion controller, the Wii remote was a standard controller, as well, awkward as it might be. Again, hard to say if casual gamers new a rectangular gamepad from an ergonomic one. After all, the NES gamepad was rectangular. This is just my hunch, but I think Nintendo thought they were going to get killed by Sony and MS, Nintendo had this little thingamajig called the remote motion controller and decided to go for their own market. Could be that it was unlikely Nintendo would get killed, with Sony's high, high launch prices and the XB360's RRD.

I think the Wii managed to succeed with its non-traditional games and odd controllers by trading a lot of horsepower, compared to MS and Sony, for affordability, allowing it to penetrate the casual gamer market so successfully. $250 vs $400 or $500. I don't think the casual gamers were really aware or offended by its mediocre graphics. Also, unlike the Kinect, in addition to being a motion controller, the Wii remote was a standard controller, as well, awkward as it might be. Again, hard to say if casual gamers new a rectangular gamepad from an ergonomic one. After all, the NES gamepad was rectangular. This is just my hunch, but I think Nintendo thought they were going to get killed by Sony and MS, Nintendo had this little thingamajig called the remote motion controller and decided to go for their own market. Could be that it was unlikely Nintendo would get killed, with Sony's high, high launch prices and the XB360's RRD.

I just don't think Nintendo wanted to spend so much money on power after the gamecube. It kind of crashed on them and they had to temporarily stop production and play price war with the PS2.

(Props to Jberel-thank you!)

(Removed response post to stay in good form-life's too short)

Back on topic- the Kinect was a neat piece of tech but it fell into a similar situation that the Wii did: how to create unique experiences that work with motion. There aren't many Wii games that really use the motion control in different ways. Out of the games I played, Silent Hill did a good job with immersion. On the Kinect, I found Steel Battalion to have a cool concept (pretty much requiring a chair to be involved for control) but required too complex of a motion set to be functional and fun.

How has it aged? Since I only have access to a 360 with it (my daughter likes Kinect Party so I left the system with the ex wife, so my daughter and I play when I come over in the morning), it still works well. Kinect Party is fun as a distraction but that's as far as we've played. I don't own an Xbox One so I can't comment.

I see potential but it'd be one of those situations where the developers have to stick with it. I hope that when VR gets more popular, Kinect will play a role instead of fuddling with controllers like PS4 does. I watched the voice actor who plays Lance in "Voltron:Legendary Defender" play his character in the PS4 VR game and the Move controls looked a little cumbersome.

Edited by Gamemoose

I'm desperate and a liar

Oh no, a name from an online strip has other people using the same name? I can't believe it.

Here I guess this is you using your very own logic

Alias online as Youxia, Dan hung was charged for 3 counts of rape during the summer of 2016. One of the victims was visiting a

Weird how that works.

Or Is this similar to how you took a gaming list out of context, only quoted GEX and used deceptive tactics to act like I was that Bubsy member guy?MZtSHZ8.png

Edited by TigerSuperman

Don't worry buddy, I just reported myself :)

I'm sure the mods will see how it is a total coincidence that a guy who uses the same aliases and argues about the same topics got banned on Wikipedia for sockpuppetry.

There's no logic in your post but this comes at no surprise.

If you actually click on that users contribs he actually for the most part talked about phones and not gaming as much as the sock master Jak. But apparently the guy called "Tigersuperman" on Wikipedia was banned anyway, likely because something we can't see.

However, Jakandsig is actually a name where if you saw it on multiple sites it would likely be the same person because it's not based on an actual name from a character of an online series, unlike Tigersuperman, but a mash of words.

I know this because Jakandsig does give me search results, unlike BIFF, and he has an account right here on this very forum who made a thread here talking about fixing Wikipedia, and from the looks of it his account isn't banned: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/220803-lets-fix-wikipedia-thread-1/?do=findComment&comment=2905485

So if you're trying to use Jak as BIFF, then why wouldn't BIFF use the Jak account? IF I'm the same "tigersuperman" as Wikipedia that also doesn't make sense either because then I would be Jak wouldn't I? So then why wouldn't I use the Jak account if I'm the same TS as the one on wiki? Weird, none of it makes sense.

It's almost as if you have zero critical thinking and are tying to be deceptive like you were here:

MZtSHZ8.png

I mean if being dishonest is your thing go ahead. I just don't think it works when most prefer good people with integrity instead.

Like I said I can find plenty of Youxia charged with various crimes but I don't say they are you.

Edited by TigerSuperman