IGNORED

OT: Sad news for retro music fans, Ben Daglish RIP.

Mclaneinc

Not Sure if Ben did any Atari stuff but in the C64 and Amiga world he was a bit of a hero, sadly at the age of just 52 he's just died of cancer...

A prolific computer musician who was due iirc to do an 8 bit orchestral show involving the Hull Symphony Orchestra recreating a load of 8 bit hits with ither 8 bit musicians of the past including Rob Hubbard...

I first became aware of him from Compunet but that's another old story..

Here's a link to the site I got this from and a link to the wiki about him on there..

RIP matey..

http://www.indieretronews.com/2018/10/sad-news-as-legendary-retro-gaming.html

• Like 9

Oh dear, I had no idea he was ill.

I have him as a FB friend having tried to get a job with his company (I assumed it was his, but could be someone else's) working on the 'RestorePoint' product.

I told him that I always liked his "Footballer of the Year" song, to which he replied, "Yes, I always liked doing them there sports themes - no subtlety, just big happy tunes! "

Rest In Peace Ben, you brought a lot of happiness to a lot of people.

Edited by snicklin
  • Like 1

Ben was a bit of a rebel, him and Tony Crowther (Loads of great C64 and other consoles games) were a great pair back in the old compunet days which I wasn't on but the scene was one of those where lots of folks knew each other, back then it was RATT & BEN(was it two N's TMR?) and known for their demo's. I had the please of knowing Tony for a while, really quiet nice guy and beta tested a thing for him (small thing, not game) and he must be in bits at the mo, great mates they were.

IIRC the Trap Demo was one of theirs (yep, just found it, a part hidden in Trap the game)

Him and Ben having some fun....Slow start bun do watch...Always loved it..

Paul..

A second RIP..nice bloke..

2nd edit: And for 'you know who, yes it could be done on the Atari but that isn't the point here...its just a classy sweet bit of history..)

3rd edit: Just watched it again, yes two NN and the good old We M.U S.I.C moniker, brings back fine memories....

Edited by Mclaneinc

I went to a Play Blackpool (think it was called 'Replay' back then) after-party event in 2011.

There he was, playing in a band of retro-gaming musicians. Don't remember who was in the band, but John Hare was there.

I was out of my mind drunk, so were the band, they were awful, but did the best they could in the situation and pulled it off well considering. Nobody cared, we all just enjoyed ourselves.

I entered a retro-gaming quiz and had a Retro Gamer magazine writer in the team, so we ended up winning, it was all due to him.

Guess what our prize was.... more beer. I looked over at Ben, he was just sat there smiling. I didn't want any more beer. But of course, it was my winnings, so I did.

• Like 5

He did on A8 just that small seconds little piece of sound/music when it shows the Gauntlet game picture.

From fandal: http://a8.fandal.cz/search.php?search=daglish&butt_details_x=x but of course in this list you can't consider the actuality port of Jack the Nipper.

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

IIRC the Trap Demo was one of theirs (yep, just found it, a part hidden in Trap the game)

My "watching" video for Saturday is going to be the version of 10 Minute Trap, they did as a commercial for Compunet.

I did get to meet Ben a few times in passing at events, but was too shy to say anything meaningful...

Edited by TMR