IGNORED

What's your opinion on either version of Sonic 3D Blast?

Bubsy3000

I've had a Saturn before but recently at a thrift store I got a Saturn and 30 games and one of the games was Sonic 3D Blast.

I played the Genesis version and wasn't too much of a fan but the Saturn Version is a different experience altogether. If the Genesis version did not exist I'd say it would be a stand out NA launch title for the Sega Saturn! It's much better than the Genesis Version and the 3D bonus stages are the star of the show!

Now that I have given this game a fair chance I must say that it's better than I orignally thought. I wonder if the game would have been more successful as a Saturn Sonic Title if the Genesis version was scrapped?

Edited by Bubsy3000

Never played. Never been interested in playing it. Isometric platforming usually just doesn't work (at least for me) because of the perspective making it too difficult to gauge your jumps. There are some exceptions such as Marble Madness if that counts as a platformer.

I've never owned a Sega Saturn but I always liked the Genesis version of Sonic 3D Blast as a kid, and I still do today. My only real complaint about it is the lack of any sort of game saving system, since it is a pretty long game to play through in one go. I've beaten it a few times, but it's definitely a "dedicate your whole afternoon to it" sort of game.

I wonder if the game would have been more successful as a Saturn Sonic Title if the Genesis version was scrapped?

You collect birds, and toss them into rings.

Coming off high-speed precision platforming, that would be an instant turnoff.

The gameplay doesn't change either. you collect birds, and toss them into rings. Occasionally if you get 50 rings you'll get a bonus stage, and then you'll go back to collecting birds, and tossing them through rings. The boss battles are not very challenging because of the camera angle, and once you beat the boss you go back to collecting birds, and tossing them into rings.

At least Sonic R was fast, fluid, and looked good for a Saturn 3D game. Sure it wasn't really finished but at least it was a Sonic game! I could swap out all the Sonic characters in 3D Blast with characters from another series and it would make little difference.

• Like 1

Which version was on the Sonic Mega Collection compilation (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube)? That's the only one I've played. I put an hour or two into it and never felt the need to go back, although it certainly wasn't terrible. I remember thinking it must be the Saturn version, as the graphics were too good for the Genesis. But then there's a lot of graphical trickery you can do a la Donkey Kong Country, and the likelihood of a Saturn title being emulated that well on the PS2 isn't too high.

Saturn version has vibrant colors, very cool atmospheric FX, and CD music. It gives a good first impression. Gameplay is decent if you like that kind of isometric hunting stuff, but as OP states, those 3D halfpipe bonus stages are awesome, fun and playable with perhaps the best Sonic bonus music ever. I think Sega Rally 2 reused that tune on a stage.

Sonic 3D Blast was serviceable, and depending how you feel about Sonic games is better or worse than the side scroller games. It had some good play moments around with both running but also slowly poking around and investigating and clearing spaces much like full 3D polygonal early 3rd person titles like Mario 64 would so shortly after. It was like a pre-Sonic Adventure in some ways. I've had both versions of it years ago, didn't think much better or worse of either as the core game and mechanics were much the same. I think it's fun, in some ways more fun than the titles before it as you can be more methodical while the old games cruised on speed and works fairly awkward if you try and take it slower. But being isometric it could get a bit clunky and aggravating depending on what goes on too.

Saturn version has vibrant colors, very cool atmospheric FX, and CD music. It gives a good first impression. Gameplay is decent if you like that kind of isometric hunting stuff, but as OP states, those 3D halfpipe bonus stages are awesome, fun and playable with perhaps the best Sonic bonus music ever. I think Sega Rally 2 reused that tune on a stage.

That is some of the things I remember from the Saturn version. The inability to save was disappointing.

That said, those elements mentioned (colors, etc) made what was a crap game to somewhat average.

Just to make sure I wasn't missing out on something, I fired up the Saturn version tonight in OpenEmu. It ran great, better than the Genesis version on real hardware. And yes, it's very colorful, and the music is pretty good. The problem I have with it is that it's just not any fun. I played 3 or 4 levels, long enough to get the hang of the mechanics and the isometric view, and then deleted the image.

Just to make sure I wasn't missing out on something, I fired up the Saturn version tonight in OpenEmu. It ran great, better than the Genesis version on real hardware. And yes, it's very colorful, and the music is pretty good. The problem I have with it is that it's just not any fun. I played 3 or 4 levels, long enough to get the hang of the mechanics and the isometric view, and then deleted the image.

yea that's the same with the sega pc version (and it still runs fine in windows 10 if you can get your monitor down to 640x240 and 256 color as a windows desktop setting) its bright its sounds good (though since its based on the genesis version not as good) its quick and snappy, even on a 1994 pentium its just not that interesting

Edited by Osgeld

I didn't care for it. Didn't know there was a Saturn version. It's one of those weird games that isn't really that fun, but it's not due to any inherently flawed design or due to being broken. It's just not that fun. I still play it from time to time, but doubt I'll ever finish it due to no saving of any kind.