IGNORED

COMPLETE: Spies in the Night 2

graywest

Awesome!! Looking forward to it!

We'll be featuring Spies in the Night 2 on Wednesday's ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Spaceman Splorf (Premiere) by Pond Software / Andreas Gustafsson & Vanja Utne aka Sdw & Mermaid
- Spies in the Night 2 (WIP Update) by Jared Gray West aka graywest
- Lunokhod 1 (WIP) by trent
- Incoming! by Ben Larson aka Ben_Larson

attachicon.gif20190417-Let's Play.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! I'm proud to release what I consider to be the final .bin of Spies in the Night 2! Assuming that there are no major, game-breaking bugs, I'd say that this is complete.

FINAL: SpiesInTheNight2-Final.bin

Here are the last few updates that I've made. These are primarily things that were mentioned the last time that Spies 2 was featured on the ZeroPage Homebrew show.

• There is now a delay on the "Game Over" screen before the game will return to the title screen. Previously, if you were holding the button down when the timer expired, the game would just jump back to the title screen and it was confusing.
  • I eliminated a blue flash that was occurring sometimes on the "electrified floors" level when the background color wasn't being set properly.
  • I tested Game 2 and 3 to make sure that they were actually beatable. (They are - if you make a good map, and with enough practice, you can complete both with 1-2 minutes left on the clock.)
  • I fixed a bug that allowed the player to jump straight into the left door on the area selection screen if the button is held when the room loads. I'd considered leaving this in as a "secret", but decided against it. I added 20 seconds to the clock to compensate.

That's about it! The instructions still need to be updated - mainly the screenshots and the number of floors per level and starting timer numbers which have all changed since I wrote that document.

This .bin only contains Games 1 and 2. There will be some carts made in the near future that contain the complete set of Games 1, 2, 3, and R (the randomized version). However, you can feel free to share this .bin around if you like or have your own cart made from it.

Enjoy!

• Like 9

Hello everyone! I'm proud to release what I consider to be the final .bin of Spies in the Night 2! Assuming that there are no major, game-breaking bugs, I'd say that this is complete.

FINAL: attachicon.gifSpiesInTheNight2-Final.bin

Here are the last few updates that I've made. These are primarily things that were mentioned the last time that Spies 2 was featured on the ZeroPage Homebrew show.

• There is now a delay on the "Game Over" screen before the game will return to the title screen. Previously, if you were holding the button down when the timer expired, the game would just jump back to the title screen and it was confusing.
  • I eliminated a blue flash that was occurring sometimes on the "electrified floors" level when the background color wasn't being set properly.
  • I tested Game 2 and 3 to make sure that they were actually beatable. (They are - if you make a good map, and with enough practice, you can complete both with 1-2 minutes left on the clock.)
  • I fixed a bug that allowed the player to jump straight into the left door on the area selection screen if the button is held when the room loads. I'd considered leaving this in as a "secret", but decided against it. I added 20 seconds to the clock to compensate.

That's about it! The instructions still need to be updated - mainly the screenshots and the number of floors per level and starting timer numbers which have all changed since I wrote that document.

This .bin only contains Games 1 and 2. There will be some carts made in the near future that contain the complete set of Games 1, 2, 3, and R (the randomized version). However, you can feel free to share this .bin around if you like or have your own cart made from it.

Enjoy!

This! Is! Awesome!

Thanks Jared!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

FINAL: attachicon.gifSpiesInTheNight2-Final.bin

I just stumbled on this the other day. I was familiar with the original but wasn't aware that you were working on a sequel. This is fantastic fun!

When and where might you be releasing the full cartridge version? I would definitely like to purchase one when they become available. Thanks again for a great game.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 5:20 PM, SS said:

I just stumbled on this the other day. I was familiar with the original but wasn't aware that you were working on a sequel. This is fantastic fun!

When and where might you be releasing the full cartridge version? I would definitely like to purchase one when they become available. Thanks again for a great game.

Thanks!! Right now, the plan is similar to what happened with Spies 1. A limited edition boxed release followed by the game being available in the AA store. Scott Dayton (NeoGames) will be doing the boxed release (box, cart, manual) through the Atari 2600 Homebrew Games group on Facebook. You can join that group for more information at this link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Atari2600homebrew/

Al has mentioned an interest in making the game available through the AtariAge store, so that could happen after the limited edition release. I'll try to update this thread as things progress.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

I realized last night that I forgot to update the Spies 2 manual after the final .bin was posted. This isn't a total overhaul, but has some improved screenshots and updated documentation of the difficulty levels. Also a better explanation of how the collision detection in the electrified floors room works (with new images).

Spies in the Night 2_FINAL.pdf

Edited by graywest
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...

I've been hoping to see more spy-related games and I'm pretty happy with this one.

I like the graphics, the stylish silhuette during the doors closing, the icons, the computer animation, and most importantly, the variety. I was never really that big on the original Spies in the Night because it felt too repetitive to me. This one has lots of mini games so you aren't always doing the same thing, plus it still has the kind of lighthouse gameplay in the first, so even if you are a big fan of the original's gameplay, you will be glad to find that it hasn't been removed in the sequel. I still find the precision needed very annoying though.

The style and graphics are I think the spotlight definitely, cause they are very well-done. I just had my first run of the game, didn't beat a single level but I don't think I ever beat a level in the first game either.

Thank you also for the full manual.

I would have preferred an easy game (say a game of 10 to 25 stories tall) with randomized rooms since I really dislike predictability in games this way. Say if I beat it, I didn't want it to be simply that I've taken the cheap way out by going through the easy rooms having memorized the game.

Edited by Tangentg
  • Like 1

Why is it that I can only select games 1 and 2? How about games 3 and R? I keep pressing select, up, and right, and I can't get beyond 2. I do have the final version. (Never mind, read through the thread and found the answer, but i would recommend making a note in the Original Post). Good fun, but shame it relies on memorization, reducing replayability (once you have beaten it once).

Edited by Tangentg
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 11:04 AM, Tangentg said:

I've been hoping to see more spy-related games and I'm pretty happy with this one.

I like the graphics, the stylish silhuette during the doors closing, the icons, the computer animation, and most importantly, the variety. I was never really that big on the original Spies in the Night because it felt too repetitive to me. This one has lots of mini games so you aren't always doing the same thing, plus it still has the kind of lighthouse gameplay in the first, so even if you are a big fan of the original's gameplay, you will be glad to find that it hasn't been removed in the sequel. I still find the precision needed very annoying though.

The style and graphics are I think the spotlight definitely, cause they are very well-done. I just had my first run of the game, didn't beat a single level but I don't think I ever beat a level in the first game either.

Thank you also for the full manual.

I would have preferred an easy game (say a game of 10 to 25 stories tall) with randomized rooms since I really dislike predictability in games this way. Say if I beat it, I didn't want it to be simply that I've taken the cheap way out by going through the easy rooms having memorized the game.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm always glad to hear what people liked and didn't like when they play through my games. At some point, after the physical carts have been released and after some time has passed, I'm planning to release the source code for people to modify if they'd like. It would be pretty straightforward for people to either create their own maps, or to change the parameters for the random game.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

CONGRATULATIONS to Spies in the Night 2 for being nominated in the 2019 Atari Homebrew Awards!

Be sure to vote for your favourite homebrew games of 2019 with the links below and watch the awards LIVE on February 1, 2020!

Awards Show: February 1, 2020 @ 12:00PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Channel!

Atari Homebrew Awards Categories (VOTE IN ALL!!):

617386544_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestMusicSoundAtari2600.jpg.879ed4fc90011aaf3afbe347911538aa.jpg2092166199_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestHomebrewAtari2600.jpg.8f74d63a373aab802d4eea5b7562b6f2.jpg1157468373_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestGraphicsAtari2600.jpg.6d61e5fc3c2e84eacfe1e5a62ae6dfd1.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AtariBrian said:

This game isn't going to be sold in the Atariage store?

I think it probably will be, if Albert is still interested. Right now, the plan is for Scott to do a limited run of boxed copies, and then for a "cart/manual" version to become available later at AtariAge. It's basically the same plan that was implemented for the first Spies in the Night game.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, graywest said:

I think it probably will be, if Albert is still interested. Right now, the plan is for Scott to do a limited run of boxed copies, and then for a "cart/manual" version to become available later at AtariAge. It's basically the same plan that was implemented for the first Spies in the Night game.

I´ve purchased SitN "one" on AtariAge last november and I would LOVE to grab a box for it. Is it available somehow?

@neotokeo2001?

I would love to be alerted when "two" became available. I really loved what you did there. ?

Edited by lazzeri
typo

• 3 months later...
On 10/3/2018 at 7:58 PM, graywest said:

EDIT: MAY 27 - FINAL VERSION RELEASED. FOR DETAILS, SEE MY LATEST POST BELOW.

Hello all! I'm excited to announce that Spies in the Night 2, which has secretly been under development for 6 months or so, is now ready for beta testing!

This is (possibly?) the first game to be released using the multikernel framework developed by RevEng. (Let me know if I'm incorrect in this assertion - I asked around and no one knew of any others at the time.)

James O'Brien debuted the game on October 3 at 9 p.m. EST on his Zero Page Homebrew show:

https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew

I believe he posts archived shows on YouTube, so that will probably be available soon.

There is still quite a bit of work to do, but I'd like to get feedback on the game, good or bad. Let me know what you think!! Below are the .bin and a preliminary instruction manual.

NOTE: Though this is the "final" release of the game, it only contains games 1 and 2. Games 3 and R (random) will be included in the cart-only version.

FINAL: SpiesInTheNight2-Final.bin

Instructions: Spies in the Night 2_FINAL.pdf

Spies In The Night 2_TEST1.bin 32 kB · 112 downloads Spies in the Night 2.pdf 928.85 kB · 164 downloads SpiesInTheNight2-Beta8.bin 32 kB · 65 downloads SpiesInTheNight2-Beta9.bin 32 kB · 82 downloads

Any word on a physical release yet?