Sign in to follow this  
DeathAdderSF

Supervision: handheld of the less fortunate

Recent site updates...

• November 30, 2019:

The game instructions archive on the scans page was updated to include Italian language instructions for 2-in-1: Block Buster / Cross High, Delta Hero, Space Fighter, and Super Block. Not exciting enough for ya? Well, keep your eyes peeled 'cuz I've got a few blister pack insert scans coming along shortly.

• December 5, 2019:

Surprise!! I'm back with more blister pack inserts, as promised. So... it's not really a surprise. Anyway! You get 2-in-1: Block Buster / Cross High, and Soccer Champion. Soccer Champion's instructions have also been added, in English and Italian. Urrà! Soccer Champion had proven a tough one to find complete. And 2-in-1: Block Buster / Cross High, I noticed, was imported by a firm named Cammarota S.R.L., instead of the more familiar Watary Italia. Curious!

Just a few days ago or so I found that site of yours again doing a google search.  Some people were pushing the supervisions and how decent they were (obviously it's no gameboy though) on a facebook group and it got me looking again.  It does seem interesting, and it appears someone made some multicart with the library on it too which wouldn't be so bad if you're not a collector.

Technically it's not so far from the GB, and ovbiously, given the screen resolution and 4-tone grayscale, it's hard to say for sure. The issue is mostly that game were poorly developped.

On the same range, the BitCorp Gamate and Mega Duck are in the same ballpark.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

Yeah I think it's a bit of gameboy love it gets dumped on a bit more than perhaps deserved.  Both systems had motion blur to an annoying level with scrolling games or even some moving objects, and they also have kind of similar level of capable audio whether the supervision used it or not.  Games would be the thing, and depending on the depth you're after the supervision sucks or it's just fine, but same can be said with Gameboy too though it had vastly more games both garbage and not to drown out the groans.

Of course, the game library is what make both system so different.

You coudl say that early GB games weren't so much more exciting than the Supervision games.... The difference is that the GB moved to increasingly complex games, and the Supervision didn't, save for a few games like Chimera (which appears to have been adapted from a C64 game).

For the audio, the GB probably have the advantage, though from what I recall the Supervision have 3 tones and possibility to play samples (which it does on the title screen of Sssnake and also at boot of one Bon Treasure game where an Asian voice says  "Supervision" with a surprising clarity).

I think the GB have one more channel and/or more flexibility but if you listen to the audio tracks of Ssssnake, 92 Olympics or even Super Kong, the Supervision does "good enough" compared to the GB.

Exactly you get what I was thinking.  Year 1 GB, Year (any sadly) SUpervision.  Both very simplistic, both just mindless and simple in many regards, sure you had a few point games like Mario or some scrolling shooter that were obviously higher points going.  But in both cases simple audio before people could learn to do more, and both with terribly blurry panels that would obscure.  While Nintendo advanced the hardware supervision did not.  While Nintendo and their makers found ways to do great stuff quicker like MM, GQ, SML2, Gradius, etc the other really didn't.

21 hours ago, CatPix said:

A Supervision Homebrew? What a time to be alive!

Ordered one :)

Me too!  I have a foolish goal to own at least one homebrew from every system I have.  Supervision was one of the more improbable.

Today's website update:

Merry 2020, guys 'n' gals! Our first update of the year is, like the two updates that preceded it, all about scans. For one, I busted Block Buster out of its tight, repressive blister pack to get scans of the insert + English & Italian language instructions. And, two-hoo! There's scans of the Golden Free Trade Supervision box and instructions, from down Mexico way. Fab stuff, amirite?

• Thanks 1

Judging by the title of the thread I felt this was the right spot to announce the news of the new game here as well. I was hinted to the fact that my post sort of is commercial as we sell our game (pretty much at production cost, but nevertheless for money).

The website featured in this thread, however, is free of charge.

We are sorry if this caused troubles or bad feelings and wished no harm. Please stay on topic of the website itself instead here.

As far as I'm concerned, I see no harm. I wouldn't have heard of this game without your message on this very thread.

I would have to say things about the strange inputs you designed but I assume it's for a good reason - and the game is straightforward enough that is isn't really an issue :)