IGNORED

Some opinions on the greatness of 5200 games & collecting for the system

ave1

Okay I'm considering deleting it. I had put some work into it and thought someone might appreciate it.

If you look at some of my other 5200 video presentation topics you'll notice I'm not a post-it-&-run kinda guy.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/278143-new-and-innovative-analog-controls-mod-for-the-5200-using-atari-paddles/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/272774-ran-some-experiments-on-5200-with-adapters-to-see-if-i-could-get-a-mouse-wo/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/271558-new-discovery-get-analog-ps12-and-n64-controllers-playing-5200-games/

Edited by ave1
  • Like 1

Okay I'm considering deleting it. I had put some work into it and thought someone might appreciate it.

If you look at some of my other 5200 video presentation topics you'll notice I'm not a post-it-&-run kinda guy.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/278143-new-and-innovative-analog-controls-mod-for-the-5200-using-atari-paddles/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/272774-ran-some-experiments-on-5200-with-adapters-to-see-if-i-could-get-a-mouse-wo/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/271558-new-discovery-get-analog-ps12-and-n64-controllers-playing-5200-games/

I was just going to post that I've usually seen a fair amount of back and forth with you involved in the discussion. Your videos often lead to further discussion. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been interested in the 5200 if it weren't for your videos that promoted some of the flexibility and alternatives with 5200 controllers and some of your discoveries. Mostly all I'd seen otherwise were problems and discussions about why the 5200 was unpopular, so I've appreciated your enthusiasm toward this much maligned system. Personally, I look forward to new episodes, as do many others, as they come up only once every couple months in an otherwise pretty slow section of the forum.

• Like 3

It was the title of the thread that annoyed me. I was lured in here thinking about reading a nicely done essay on some random guy's thoughts on the 5200, only to just see another video prompt.

It is becoming a lost art to generate a thoughtful old-school BBS style post, with intelligently spaced paragraphs of prose, along with a few pictures for effect. Now everyone just does a damn video. "Here, comment on this!" If I wanted that I would just go to youtube!

By all means, don't delete your post because I'm annoyed. Some people like this stuff.

It was the title of the thread that annoyed me. I was lured in here thinking about reading a nicely done essay on some random guy's thoughts on the 5200, only to just see another video prompt.

It is becoming a lost art to generate a thoughtful old-school BBS style post, with intelligently spaced paragraphs of prose, along with a few pictures for effect. Now everyone just does a damn video. "Here, comment on this!" If I wanted that I would just go to youtube!

By all means, don't delete your post because I'm annoyed. Some people like this stuff.

I agree you don't see much of the old journalism style anymore, which is a topic in and of itself. I'd just like to have it known that Steve's videos are largely demonstrative, well investigated new methods that are facilitated by footage or, in this case, a chance interview and are not the type of Ted and Mike make a quick top ten video collage that has replaced the introspective written reviews we may miss.

It is becoming a lost art to generate a thoughtful old-school BBS style post, with intelligently spaced paragraphs of prose, along with a few pictures for effect. Now everyone just does a damn video. "Here, comment on this!"

Welcoome to the digital era. The not 0-1999 era. I don't like lots of things but that is the future. Got to get used to it.

Do not remove the videos.

Welcoome to the digital era. The not 0-1999 era. I don't like lots of things but that is the future. Got to get used to it.

Do not remove the videos.

I know what freaking era we are in. Who said anything about removing videos? AtariAge however is a discussion forum, watching videos isn't something I am always able to do (while at work for instance). A video spoiler would have been nice, I wouldn't even have wasted one second on this thread. I enjoy reading stuff, is that too passe for the digital era?

Nothing wrong with a link to video, IMO. I'd much rather see that than posts that make no sense at all because the writer doesn't know how to put a sentence together. They seem to be from people with English as a first language, too. I skip over so many posts in some threads because I know I'll never be able to make heads or tails of their intended meaning.

• Like 1

I know what freaking era we are in. Who said anything about removing videos? AtariAge however is a discussion forum, watching videos isn't something I am always able to do (while at work for instance). A video spoiler would have been nice, I wouldn't even have wasted one second on this thread. I enjoy reading stuff, is that too passe for the digital era?

Yes. A discussion is adiscussion wheather its written or in a video. Its still a discussion. Edited by 0078265317

Thanks edladdin. You're a new owner of Meteorites like I am, right? What a great version of Asteroids- I have enjoyed playing it quite a bit!

How many of the original 5200 games do you have at this point?

Ive been tempted by this couple times. The box looks very cool. Ive been trying to convince myself I need a new car more than new collectible games. ☹

• Like 1

Thanks edladdin. You're a new owner of Meteorites like I am, right? What a great version of Asteroids- I have enjoyed playing it quite a bit!

How many of the original 5200 games do you have at this point?

BTW, I think you may be interested in this. I made an adapter prototype similar to the bohoki except it also hooks up to fire 3 and 4 and x axis 2 and y axis 2 on the innovation smart joy adapter. You can play the two stick games like robotron with the left and right dual shock thumb-sticks. It also works with player 1 and 2 games with different fire buttons for player 1 and 2. To fully test the buttons I need a 2-player game where each player needs two buttons. Pretty easy to build. Did it with no soldering. Yes, that is a Rubbermade container lid. :-D Easy to work with and the rubbery edge helps hold the connectors in place. The DB15 with the four caps is the female connector (pin-holes) to the Smart Joy, the DB15s on either side are male connectors (pins) that go to 5200 controllers (or Master Play clones or Waco keypads) for the keypad buttons and the other two DB15s on the opposite side are female connectors for extension cords from the 5200.

post-54985-0-60189000-1539008167_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Wow Swami- that is very awesome. I didn't know you could get the Innovation Smartjoy adapter to read the right analog stick at all. How did you figure that out? I'm going to have to look into this :)

I'll try to be brief.

I had some issues with some of the peripherals I was trying to use with the Smart Joy pulling in one direction or my character on screen moving too fast, so, I decided to build a version of the bohoki with variable resistance pots and three levels of capacitance on the two analog axes.

While looking up pinouts for the 5200 and PC gameport, I learned how the gameport was set up to accomodate two 2-button analog joysticks. Then, I tried one of my racing wheels with it, but I couldn't get the pedals to work and noticed the pedal motion was doing something on my multimeter on the pins for the second x and y axes. Since these analog signals had to go to digital fire buttons for Pole Position, I couldn't get them to work right, but it occasionally crossed my mind over the next couple months that they might work with the right thumbstick, but it always slipped my mind when I might have had time to work on it.

After someone was talking about it in the PS2 controller adapter thread, it finally stuck in my mind long enough to try to extend the bohoki adapter principle to two sticks.

It has also occured to me that this may open up possibilities of also using versions of the PS3 keyboard/mouse FPS adapters that don't have the ability to switch the mouse from right to left thumbstick, but you would have to swap the controller ports. I'm thinking Fire3 and Fire4 could still be mapped to the mouse buttons. Something else to try. I think I have close to every PS2 and PS3 FPS mouse/keyboard adapter there is from trying to find one that worked with every game. Some of them lacked sensitivity settings and some lacked changing the mouse from right to left stick, so that it could be used with the bohoki adapter.