IGNORED

AtGames Blast! Family Fun Products - Official Thread and Feature Requests

Bill Loguidice

As a way to gather feedback for future versions of the Blast! products, and to not muddy up the other threads, I wanted to start a dedicated topic for the Blast! family of products. While this year the focus for these low-cost products is on the mainstream market and fun for the average consumer/families versus something that specifically meets the needs of the retro gaming crowd, we hope to incorporate more features in the future that will appeal to that group at the same low price point.

While we want to hear even the obvious stuff that we're already targeting for the future (perfect emulation, increased resolution and sharpness, etc.), we also want to hear any of the less obvious feedback. So let it fly!

Banner_index_banner_01.jpg?disposition=i

Also, please use this as an opportunity to discuss the current products, even though again, we realize they're not being targeted to the retro gaming crowd for this year.

The official Website is here: https://blast.atgames.net/ (includes manuals and game lists)

The current Blast! products announced so far (https://blast.atgames.net/blast_family):

• Bandai Namco Flashback Blast!
  • Bandai Namco Flashback Blast! (Walmart exclusive)
  • Atari Flashback Blast! vol. 1
  • Atari Flashback Blast! vol. 2
  • Atari Flashback Blast! vol. 3 (Walmart exclusive)
  • Activision Flashback Blast!
  • Player 2 Blast! Controller
  • Like 2

It might be stating the obvious, but more authentic controls would be a HUGE plus. Kudos are in order for the paddles controllers on the Atari Flashback Blast! vol. 3, but the other models could really use some joysticks instead of those Sega-style pads.

I recently got out the old Jakks Ms. Pac-man unit and was playing it again after a long while... it's amazing how good the controller is on that thing considering how inexpensive it was.

I'm dreaming that someday a truly authentic Pac-Man experience can be captured on one of these products... emulation of the original ROM, 4-way arcade joystick, no problem running the original patterns. It may never happen, but I'd sure like to see it!

It might be stating the obvious, but more authentic controls would be a HUGE plus. Kudos are in order for the paddles controllers on the Atari Flashback Blast! vol. 3, but the other models could really use some joysticks instead of those Sega-style pads.

I recently got out the old Jakks Ms. Pac-man unit and was playing it again after a long while... it's amazing how good the controller is on that thing considering how inexpensive it was.

I'm dreaming that someday a truly authentic Pac-Man experience can be captured on one of these products... emulation of the original ROM, 4-way arcade joystick, no problem running the original patterns. It may never happen, but I'd sure like to see it!

Custom controllers are definitely a good thought, but we went with a proven, ergonomic gamepad design for consistency and to provide easier access to all of the functions. I do think vol. 3 is pretty popular based on early reports, however, so that might certainly create some incentive to try another specialty variation or two in the future.

• Like 1

I know this is not on their priority list, but for the love of gawd, make some handheld paddles/spinners that connect to USB either wired or wireless. That's an impossibly basic hole that nobody has filled to date.

I've had other ideas, but I'm sure it all begins and ends with retail price point, so you're pretty limited in what's feasible for 30-80 bucks. For instance, they might think about a little briefcase looking model aimed at the 10 and up age bracket with a 7-10" screen, wi-fi and runs on AA batteries. Could be like a first computer/gaming kit, but all packaged up for portable use. That might be a platform for future sales channels, education, family entertainment and such. Just a thought.r-kaid-r-portable-arcade-system-by-love-

I know this is not on their priority list, but for the love of gawd, make some handheld paddles/spinners that connect to USB either wired or wireless. That's an impossibly basic hole that nobody has filled to date.

I've had other ideas, but I'm sure it all begins and ends with retail price point, so you're pretty limited in what's feasible for 30-80 bucks. For instance, they might think about a little briefcase looking model aimed at the 10 and up age bracket with a 7-10" screen, wi-fi and runs on AA batteries. Could be like a first computer/gaming kit, but all packaged up for portable use. That might be a platform for future sales channels, education, family entertainment and such. Just a thought.

Please keep the discussion to Blast! family products for this particular thread. I'll start other threads soon to discuss the other products or product ideas.

We do have some other product announcements still to make for this year as well!

The Legends FB Blast! is a little weird, it's got all 2600 except Space Invaders, why not making it another Atari Flashback Blast! instead?

(source your site

https://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2018/09/27/the-official-game-list-for-the-atgames-legends-flashback-blast-2018/ )

I was thrown for a spin after seeing that the Namco Blast! is instead all arcades.

Should probably stick to one kind at a time to avoid muddying the message

The Legends FB Blast! is a little weird, it's got all 2600 except Space Invaders, why not making it another Atari Flashback Blast! instead?

(source your site

https://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2018/09/27/the-official-game-list-for-the-atgames-legends-flashback-blast-2018/ )

I was thrown for a spin after seeing that the Namco Blast! is instead all arcades.

Should probably stick to one kind at a time to avoid muddying the message

That's a fair point, of course. That's one of those weird licensing quirks, unfortunately. It's really meant as a Space Invaders product with the bonus of those other games.

That's a fair point, of course. That's one of those weird licensing quirks, unfortunately. It's really meant as a Space Invaders product with the bonus of those other games.

I literally thought the other way around, an Atari 2600 compilation with a bonus Space Invaders Arcade (I believe Jakks Pacific used to do something like that ... and it was a little confusing).

Anyhow thanks for the clarification.

For the suggestion on new Blast!, depending on what CPU you can cram on that little enclosure an '80 Arcade only (no console no nothing) would be something interesting. Golden Age kind of a deal, say 20-30 titles.

• Like 1

For the suggestion on new Blast!, depending on what CPU you can cram on that little enclosure an '80 Arcade only (no console no nothing) would be something interesting. Golden Age kind of a deal, say 20-30 titles.

For the $20 price point, etc., it would likely be like the arcade-based Bandai Namco Blast! and have <10 titles. I can certainly see that happening with other publisher-themed arcade-centric Blast!'s.

Okay, so if we're just talking about the blast HDMI dongles, and given each one is about selling new hardware, I think models along the line of the old ColecoVision expansion modules would be a good idea. If you're gonna expect people to buy an HDMI widget with controls to get access to the content, customers should have have a reason to do so. Just packaging multiple dongles and the same controller with different games is kinda limiting because folks are only likely to buy one.

While it may be difficult to meet your target price point, I'd buy these...

A blast with a trackball and good trackball games. (centipede, crystal castles, missile command, marble madness etc.)

A blast with a racing wheel control and good selection of drivers. (pole position, outrun, super sprint, stocker etc.)

A blast with a spinner and directional control (with tempest, major havoc, tron etc.)

A blast with a gun controller (would need IR emitters like a Wii)

A blast with a fighter controls or dual lap stick for sporting games, arcade fighters, Robotron, black widow, etc.

Maybe even a blast with a tablet controller for win loose or draw, drawing games, puzzle games, etc. (Though this one might be risky, those rarely fair well)

• Like 1

For the $20 price point, etc., it would likely be like the arcade-based Bandai Namco Blast! and have <10 titles. I can certainly see that happening with other publisher-themed arcade-centric Blast!'s.

Fair enough, thematic series may be palatable in some capacity. Say all the Mr.Do games, all the DonkeyKong(s) (I know, I know) or thematic like early Konami or DataEast etc....

• Like 1

while I like the 3 button sega design controllers, even sega had problems after the first gen making them not feel like snot, and I have never had one made on the down low be really worth playing (despite the ergonomics, we know its a low cost across the board solution direct from alibaba)

so for the price I guess I expect cheap controllers, 2.4ghz though ugh, hdmi dongles ugh I know its made to a price for the casual but it would be far more interesting as a blast CONSOLE where bluetooth can be used (really its not that much more expensive on the bom and not that much more development effort) where I could have a single HDMI dongle, an app on my phone and buy the individual collections and beam them to the core device, and I dont have to pay extra for bottom dollar proprietary controllers

I might be more interested in buying that cause then I don't have to pay 20 bucks for each one which contains a 1.99 (at cost) controller and dig behind my TV to switch tween namco and atari (for instance) maybe 40 bucks for the setup with a collection and 10 bucks for additional collections ... then once you have the hardware plugged into my TV its free money to release new collection of games

I have enough shit plugged into my various screens and I hate messing with wires when I just want to sit down and relax

Edited by Osgeld

Arcade games- Ghosts & Goblins, Rush N Attack, Burgertime, Klax, Thief, Demolition Derby, Tutankham, Jungle Hunt, Elevator Action, Frontline, Mousetrap, stuff like that from the golden age.

Maybe an 8bit computer classics compilation, I don't know enough to say any games, I know Lemmings and Doom, that's about it. Maybe ski free?

I know Pacman sells name recognition, but it gets stale- maybe something like Bob's 7800 pacman collection, alternate/random mazes etc

And make sure to include Netflix for moms.

• Like 2

I second this post. The constant bombardment of the same old games is getting a bit thin (for me at least). It would be nice to see some fresh blood squeezed amongst the classics and/or other systems explored (like ColecoVision, SMS, etc), though licensing wise that might not be too plausible.

Personally, I'd like to see the Blast products focus on arcade games and games from other systems not available on other systems (i.e. Atari Flashback). For example, 7800, Colecovision, etc.

• Like 3

How come when I ordered the Blast Paddle game a few weeks ago upon prelaunch at $19.99, they say it's supposed to arrive this Thursday, but when I walk into Wallyworld today, there it is on the shelf for $18.50? Man, that's a slap in the face and one on the butt on the way out. i couldn't even buy the one in my hands since I supposedly have one arriving on Thursday.

• Like 1

How come when I ordered the Blast Paddle game a few weeks ago upon prelaunch at $19.99, they say it's supposed to arrive this Thursday, but when I walk into Wallyworld today, there it is on the shelf for $18.50? Man, that's a slap in the face and one on the butt on the way out. i couldn't even buy the one in my hands since I supposedly have one arriving on Thursday.

It's not super surprising as AtGames products are almost always discounted from the MSRP.

Unfortunately, that's out of our control. Walmart is in charge of the pricing.

I figure that, but it's a WalMart exclusive and they listed it for pre-sale at $19.99, then you don't even get the thing before it's on the store shelves for less money. I'm thinking about returning it out of spite at this point. Just passing along the frustration since the way they've handled it does nothing to encourage sales. I don't know if they had any agreement about pre-sales and shipping vs. in-store stock, but they've totally mishandled it.

Reasonable criticism is fine, but if you go too far with the attacks, you get banned.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I just cleaned up a few posts which went over the line, so in the future, let's all try to keep our input in threads like this one as positive and as constructive as possible.