IGNORED

AtGames Blast! Family Fun Products - Official Thread and Feature Requests

Bill Loguidice

Practically unplayable is hyperbole. Is it a great dpad? Nope. But it was also a cheap system. Not sure why people expect gold for the price of tin. Sound isn't great but doesn't make the ears bleed either.

Try pulling off dragon punches and then tell me if it's hyperbole :P

As for the sound, if you can put up with it, good for you. I prefer for my game music to be in tune.

As for the gold for tin analogy - when companies release incredible stuff like the Odroid Go for stupidly low prices you expect something twice the price to at least be decent. The AtGames Sega stuff truly is awful in my opinion. Yes I know there are licensing fees etc but that would explain the price difference.

But I guess that's the thing about opinions - they differ

Edited by MantaNZ

Try pulling off dragon punches and then tell me if it's hyperbole :P

As for the sound, if you can put up with it, good for you. I prefer for my game music to be in tune.

As for the gold for tin analogy - when companies release incredible stuff like the Odroid Go for stupidly low prices you expect something twice the price to at least be decent. The AtGames Sega stuff truly is awful in my opinion. Yes I know there are licensing fees etc but that would explain the price difference.

But I guess that's the thing about opinions - they differ

Twice the price? Maybe I got lucky but my Sega handheld didn't even cost as much as an Odroid Go. While that is neat it requires you to assemble and doesn't have genesis on it so you may still have your sound issues.

Still that doesn't change knowing what you are buying and not having unreasonable expectations. You would be better off building an rpi3 handheld for higher the price. Plus then you can play SNES and forget that the Genesis was crap in comparison.

:P

The Namco Blast packaging similarly has arcade screenshots on the packaging, and the small print says: images are for reference only, specifications may vary. Is that enough?

Being that the box screenshots have still feature the arcade version, and many people give At Games a pass due to the flimsy disclaimer; so what exactly should be considered unacceptable? Is there a line? Would it be alright to show the arcade shots but include 2600 or Tiger LCD handheld versions?

Is the fact that the unit powers on, doesn't burn your house down, and plays some form of Galaga make it acceptable?

There's the fair packaging and labeling act to protect consumers. If you buy a litre of milk and there's only 900ml in the carton something will be done about it. Regardless of the law it's wrong to promise one thing and deliver something else. You might say you should know better, buyer beware. But most people might not even know the difference thinking they are playing arcade pacman. Those are the ones that are being cheated the most. This isn't about the quality of the product. The packaging is at best deceptive, and I don't think the text is enough. Stickers should be put on all boxes making it clear what's inside.

Being that the box screenshots have still feature the arcade version, and many people give At Games a pass due to the flimsy disclaimer; so what exactly should be considered unacceptable? Is there a line? Would it be alright to show the arcade shots but include 2600 or Tiger LCD handheld versions?

Is the fact that the unit powers on, doesn't burn your house down, and plays some form of Galaga make it acceptable?

I don't think anyone is giving them a pass--even Bill has said he wishes that it didn't happen. The reality is though that they had to do it. The other fact is that, given the price point, these are targeted at a very casual audience that does not necessarily care. I agree, it's not right, but I can understand how it happened and I'm willing to accept AtGames explanation. Edited by bmadgames
  • Like 1

Same reason I don't hate the basic fun arcade cabinets. Because I have an understanding its a cheap and neat toy. I have the Frogger one and like it despite it not being the arcade rom.

Is it a cheap product that has the games on it? Sometimes for the price people have too high of expectations. Even if it went out with the arcade roms people would complain that it doesn't use an arcade stick or doesn't use the 'right' resolution of HDMI or whatever.

I am tired of the hate towards AtGames. I have an early Sega handheld and it is way good for the price I paid. It could have been better and could have cost more too. If people want to pay toy prices for something that is authentic then they need to buy an RPi3 and do it themselves. It isn't hard but that might take time, effort, and not give them someone to complain about other than their inability to build a simple sd card image.

I will say the switch from reviews was not a great idea. But also might show why you don't give tubers free crap. Make them go out and buy it. That is about the only way you are going to get an honest review and prevent dumb things like this anyways.

Sorry if I seem extra grumpy. Just had a kid a few nights ago and I am lacking sleep.

• Like 2

If they had a picture on the box of a different controller then that would also be wrong. The explanation of why they switched from arcade to nes games is fine, they are free to sell whatever they want. There is no excuse for not fixing the packaging, a simple sticker is all that is needed.

• Like 1

If they had a picture on the box of a different controller then that would also be wrong. The explanation of why they switched from arcade to nes games is fine, they are free to sell whatever they want. There is no excuse for not fixing the packaging, a simple sticker is all that is needed.

A sticker would have been simple enough i would think

A sticker and/or more notification that the graphics being displayed may/may not be the actual versions being used. Either way, it is egg on AtGames' face. Still, this is a $20 product that isn't designed for the hardcore gamer, so people can extinguish the torches and quit sharpening their pitchforks.

AtGames switching from arcade to NES ports is super sketchy, flat out. That said, this is third-tier consumer electronic product, so the best thing to do is just not to buy it, in the same way you wouldn't buy a Sorny Playgamestation.

Or....an Ataribox....er..I'm sorry, a (not) Atari VCS. At least these are $20. They're not trying to fleece people with vaporware that they have no idea how to produce. They actually have a thing to sell. If AtGames products are third-tier, what does that make a non-existent, crowdfunded, poorly defined linux box from a brand holding company?

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 1

If a product is non-existent, then it is non-tiered as it cannot be placed ;) It would be the equivalent of giving a student half credit on an assignment for something he/she never turned in at all.

Or....an Ataribox....er..I'm sorry, a (not) Atari VCS. At least these are $20. They're not trying to fleece people with vaporware that they have no idea how to produce. They actually have a thing to sell. If AtGames products are third-tier, what does that make a non-existent, crowdfunded, poorly defined linux box from a brand holding company?

I keep hearing this isn't for us. It's for the "casual" (ie ill-informed) consumer. Hard to believe that when ATGames PR guy is constantly posting about it and the company is sending review units to big time retro gamer youtubers.

"Hey Atariage - see these things we're making that play Atari games year after year after year? . . . They aren't for you!" :roll:

I personally don't care about the blast units, they're cheap junk that someone will get and play for half a day and then put it in a yardsale, I get it. The Flashbacks, in Canada, are $100 Cdn, more than a NES Classic. If that's the bar, then that's the standard to compare it to so I expect some kind of quality before I make the plunge. Is it unfair to compare the Nintendo juggernaut to AtGames? Probably, but when your cheap chinese rip off product is more money than the top dog in town when it comes to plug and plays, your act better be together.

• Like 3

I had a paddle version in my hand, but passed since it was supposedly already on preorder and had not arrived yet. I ended up canceling it. Glad I did. Between the wireless paddle controllers having a wire, and no Kaboom in it, I don't feel I missed anything. What's further insult is the fact that the flashback this year shows Kaboom in it, but no option for paddle controls, at least as of yet. So they have rights to it, but don't include it in the only paddle specific release. WTAF?

• Like 1

Just a guess as to why: Activision.

Makes me wonder if Atgames continues down the road they've been on, if Activision will cancel their license agreements and end their relationship with them as Sega did. Deserved or not, Atgames is getting a lot of flack that Activision may want no part of. Speculation of course on my part.

• Like 1

I understand it's a different license, but when they have the license for the single most noteworthy paddle based game, and they don't include it on their paddle device, and then release it on a device without paddles.....all I can say is, "good day to you sir."

I'm sure there will be a reason given but I'm sure it will ring hollow. Maybe it would be more money for a second license for a second device and atgames didn't want to spend the money?

• Like 1

I know that ArcadeUSA has been bemoaning that fact as to why have paddle games on a unit that comes without paddles. Still, one could argue at least the units come with the game instead of not being on there at all.

I understand it's a different license, but when they have the license for the single most noteworthy paddle based game, and they don't include it on their paddle device, and then release it on a device without paddles.....all I can say is, "good day to you sir."

I know that ArcadeUSA has been bemoaning that fact as to why have paddle games on a unit that comes without paddles. Still, one could argue at least the units come with the game instead of not being on there at all.

Yeah, I'm sure I said something similar last time I bought a car that came without the tires. At least the wheels were there.

• Like 2