IGNORED

Songbird presents Loopz for the Atari Jaguar

Songbird

It's only building squares! XD

First, there is a ratio/pattern of pieces coming, in the beginning small pieces, later harder more space killing pieces and when you're more or less screwed at the end erase pieces will occur.

First of, do not let you be dependent on one kind of piece coming, let's say a small corner, for all your loopz because then you will soon lose.

So build a loop that is awaiting a small corner or a small straight, another that is waiting on a larger corner or a straight three-piece and so on...

I have like three loopz in work at the same time awaiting different pieces.... the way to get points.

And when a large U-shaped piece shows up, I always put it alone in the corner to await a second one to complete the loop.

There is one piece, the largest one, that sometimes should not be placed since it will ruin all loopz in work, then just let the time end and get rid of it that way.

For extra space, build loopz inside loopz.

In the end, don't give up, place as many pieces as you can into the maze for that extra end points.
Sometimes, while loosing things opens up from a series of three erase "pieces" in a row and your on the track again! Lucky!

My best have been 27k, 31k and now 38k. Am kind of tired of the game right now, but will return for some more loopz madness very soon muhaha!

Play a lot of times, for hours in a row and your skills will amplify!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My copy of LOOPZ arrived yesterday and i spent roughly an hour playing it last night. As a puzzle-solving game in the vein of Tetris or Columns, it certainly fits a niche that is really lacking on the Jaguar: we have this, ZOOP, and I guess the craptacular Flipout.

I would compare this very favorably with ZOOP. Nothing flash, just grab the little pieces as they pop up and try to slot them into a place where they'll fit. As an ST port, I'd say the graphics are serviceable but perhaps rather ordinary. No 64-bit powa! here. I do rather like the tunes the game plays. Sound effects are fine and the controls are decently tight and responsive.

I should also add that the production values are superb. The manual and box easily meet or surpass anything put out by Atari or the bigger commercial releases. The cart label looks great.... and I was a bit surprised by the cartridge itself. The plastic is not the charcoal grey used for most carts, but is jet black in color. I have only ever seen this with my copy of Trevor McFur. It's subtle, but it certainly makes this cart stand out from the rest.

If you like ZOOP, you'll almost certainly like LOOPZ. On the other hand, if you don't like ZOOP and are not a big fan of these sorts of puzzlers, this is likely not for you.

Now I just have to print up a new end label...

Edited by ls650
  • Like 1

I do rather like the tunes the game plays.

Yes, love TUNE B, really helps keep the concentration at top! (The other two are kinda gloomy) Think this is more the *game* before 64-powah or other stuff, great puzzle, yes, in the vein of Zoop. Zoop is a bit too much action, and the speed curve is too fast for "hours of fun".... Loopz really gave us Jagumaniacs hours of puzzle fun!

• Like 1