IGNORED

Archive of Happy Backup Software?

Larry

Here is my recollection of the Happy Backup Software (I started with Rev 3.x for the drop-in Happy 810 Enhancement, IIRC):

Rev 1.x ???

Rev 2.x ???

Rev 3.x (Happy 810 Enhancement)

Rev 4.x (Happy 810 Software -- several releases)

Rev 5.x (Happy 810 WarpSpeed Software -- several releases) Note: I believe that the 5.x series started the WarpSpeed releases, but may have started with something like 4.7. (?)

Rev 6.x (Happy 1050 WarpSpeed Software -- not for 810 -- maybe a couple of releases

Rev 7 (Happy 810 and 1050 WarpSpeed Software -- 810 needed the new Happy Rev 7 rom

Rev 7.1 Last released version of 810/1050 WarpSpeed Software

Any added input? Remember anything differently?

Regrettably, after I got the new rom, I got rid of the older disk software, since it would no longer work with the 810 Rev 7 rom. Atarimania has the front side of 5.3 and 6.6. So some of these are missing.

-Larry

Attached are all the Happy Warp Speed Software .ATRs I have found over the years. I think *only* Version 7.1 had a Side B (Documentation and IBM Xfer Utility + additional PDBs). Has anyone got any other versions they can add for posterity?

Happy Warp Speed Software V5.0.atr

Happy Warp Speed Software V5.2.ATR

Happy Warp Speed Software V5.3.atr

Happy Warp Speed Software V6.6.atr

Happy Warp Speed Software V7.0.atr

Happy Warp Speed Software V7.1 Side 1.ATR

Happy Warp Speed Software V7.1 Side 2.ATR

Edited by cwc
  • Like 10

I think the 5.0 and 5.2 disks are new to me.

I used to only have 7.0 for my Happy 1050 back in the day, and do recall using the IBM PC Xfer utility, and warp speed DOS disks, but I doubt those sides are any different than those included with 7.1.

I also wondered about the side B's.

My gut tells me that when Happy WarpSpeed Dos was released, there was some stuff on side B. Looking at the individual disk images may shed some light on that.

Edit: My gut was wrong -- it's on Side A!

We are still on the search for the holy grail ... the Happy Customizer ! :) Wonder if it was ever really released

Absolutely. I had it many years ago. IIRC, the new (free) Customizer is built into Rev 7 and/or 7.1. The old Happy 810 Customizer was released on a well-protected disk, and I think that when I sold my Happy 810 drives, I sent that on its way. Originally, all the extra utilities like the multi-drive, etc were about $50 each, and I think the Customizer was more than $100. At some point they were likely advertised in Analog magazine. The Customizer could not be copied by a Happy -- not sure about the 810 Archiver. Of course, the Archiver software made the Customizer moot.

I'll look through my stuff, but I'm quite certain I no longer have the original.

-Larry

• Like 3

Absolutely. I had it many years ago. IIRC, the new (free) Customizer is built into Rev 7 and/or 7.1. The old Happy 810 Customizer was released on a well-protected disk, and I think that when I sold my Happy 810 drives, I sent that on its way. Originally, all the extra utilities like the multi-drive, etc were about $50 each, and I think the Customizer was more than $100. At some point they were likely advertised in Analog magazine. The Customizer could not be copied by a Happy -- not sure about the 810 Archiver. Of course, the Archiver software made the Customizer moot.

Good to know you had it. That's the first time I hear something about it besides its mention on the Happy documentation. There is no Customizer on the Rev 7 software.

IIRC the Happy can't copy neither the Happy 810 archiver (made by Spartan), neither the Happy 1050 Archiver (made by CSS). And neither the Happy, neither the SuperArchiver can copy the SuperArchiver disk itself, not even the BitWriter.

No, you're right, after looking at the files, what he gave the purchaser of the Rev 7 rom "free" were the files to convert/patch the old customizer to work with the new R7 rom. So, looks like two things -- you still need the original disk, and it seems that you still need an 810. A 1050 evidently won't work (although I never tried). I've done some lookiing and I'm even more convinced that I no longer have the original Customizer disk.

Even if you get the actual disk, then you still have to deal with the issue of the copy protection. (Not that it is insurmountable.)

-Larry

• Like 1

The disks need to be kryo fluxed, then the mystery will be solved by the very talented goup of disk detectives. Original disks always are welcome at preservation project thread and website. They always preserved and returned. Handled with the utmost in care.

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 1 year later...

• 11 months later...

I believe I have found the Happy Customizer Software Version 3.9

It doesn't boot on my system since I don't have a Happy 810 drive. It starts to load but then gives me a drive error. Maybe someone can test this and confirm for me. @ijor @cwc Anyone else?

Thanks,

John

Happy Customizer 3-9.atr

Edited by cx2k
Uploaded wrong file
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ijor said:

Sorry, as far as I can see, the disk has no Happy related software at all.

LOL. Sorry, no idea what the hell I actually uploaded. I edited my post and uploaded the correct ATR. Try it now @ijor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow @cx2k where in the world did you find it? Any documentation by chance?

The disk appears to be a plain DOS 2.0S DOS.SYS + DUP with the Customizer as an AUTORUN.SYS that loads about 8.5K starting at $4000. The disk format is simple enough it seems doubtful it originally had any copy protection....

Well here we go -- some never before seen footage! (at least this century) It works using Happy 810 full drive emulation under Altirra for now. Happy 810 Rev 7 and a prior ROM (not sure version) allow the program to proceed to the menu:

1310257531_HappyCustomizer01.png.f3e7feb4e70bed476e718b02e4196bd5.png

Any other drive type will fail with a screen like this, including a Happy 1050:

1367194581_HappyCustomizer04(Stock810).png.e80cf8da1bdb9e36f801dfff9345e187.png

There are three example ".HZP" files on the disk that appear to be a sector layout that define source sector order and destination sector order using letters A-R to represent numbers 1-18. EXAMPLE1.HZP seems to represent Atari's 810 Rev B 13:1 interleave, EXAMPLE2.HZP seems to represent the 810 Rev C 9:1 interleave with sector 1 starting at the second position, and EXAMPLE3.HZP is a 9:1 interleave with sector 1 starting in the middle of the sequence. (Better for track to track latency)

These text files alternate between source/Dest like this:

S:00:AHODKRGNCJQFMBIPEL
D:00:AHODKRGNCJQFMBIPEL
S:01:AHODKRGNCJQFMBIPEL
D:01:AHODKRGNCJQFMBIPEL
<snip>
S:26:AHODKRGNCJQFMBIPEL
D:26:AHODKRGNCJQFMBIPEL
S:27:AHODKRGNCJQFMBIPEL
D:27:AHODKRGNCJQFMBIPEL

Then I saw there's actually a "GEN.BAS" file that builds these files, as who wants to type those lines 80 times with primitive 1982 text editors!

1 REM PRGM TO GENERATE HZP EXAMPLES
5 DIM A$(40),B$(1),F$(15)
7 F$="D1:EXAMPLE1.HZP"
10 FOR E=1 TO 3:F$(11,11)=CHR$(48+E)
15 OPEN #1,8,0,F$:ON E GOTO 20,23,26
20 A$="S:00:AHODKRGNCJQFMBIPEL"
21 GOTO 30
23 A$="S:00:RACEGIKMOQBDFHJLNP"
24 GOTO 30
26 A$="S:00:QOMKIGECARPNLJHFDB"
27 GOTO 30
30 FOR I=0 TO 39
40 J=INT(I/16):GOSUB 200:A$(3,3)=B$
50 J=I-J*16:GOSUB 200:A$(4,4)=B$
60 A$(1,1)="S":PRINT #1;A$
70 A$(1,1)="D":PRINT #1;A$:NEXT I
90 CLOSE #1:NEXT E
99 END
200 IF J>9 THEN B$=CHR$(J+55)
210 IF J<10 THEN B$=CHR$(J+48)
220 RETURN 

Entering "3" for number of drives shows 2 extra lines about putting the ASCII file in D3 and source in D2. After that, it asks for the file that contains the format spec... I would think one of the example .HZP files would work, but no matter how I type it it always fails with error 83, ie:

• EXAMPLE3.HZP
  • D:EXAMPLE3.HZP
  • D1:EXAMPLE3.HZP
  • *.HZP
  • :?

2071760555_HappyCustomizer03.png.ff4806e1a5cab874659872341d088047.png

Lastly... if you cold boot the computer after this program has run, it appears the program has previously "does something" to the drive, probably something uploaded to the happy drives RAM, where it detects this and fails until you either power the drive off and on again in the real world, remove and re-add the fully emulated drive device in Altirram or completely restart Altirra... Even a cold reset in Altirra won't clear the drive RAM. Anyhow, you get this screen if that case is detected:

1739423341_HappyCustomizer02.png.10e3b6aaa6f1fac2fc80ccd3dc0009d8.png

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Nezgar said:

The disk appears to be a plain DOS 2.0S DOS.SYS + DUP with the Customizer as an AUTORUN.SYS that loads about 8.5K starting at $4000. The disk format is simple enough it seems doubtful it originally had any copy protection....

Well here we go -- some never before seen footage! (at least this century) It works using Happy 810 full drive emulation under Altirra for now. Happy 810 Rev 7 and a prior ROM (not sure version) allow the program to proceed to the menu:

@Nezgar - Nice detective work and thanks for the thorough explanation. This disk was in a collection I got that belonged to a former Roklan programmer. Unfortunately, I don't believe I have any documentation but let me look through the paperwork that was in the collection.

Edited by cx2k
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Nezgar said:

Lastly... if you cold boot the computer after this program has run, it appears the program has previously "does something" to the drive, probably something uploaded to the happy drives RAM, where it detects this and fails until you either power the drive off and on again in the real world, remove and re-add the fully emulated drive device in Altirram or completely restart Altirra... Even a cold reset in Altirra won't clear the drive RAM. Anyhow, you get this screen if that case is detected:

What is the CRC32 of the Happy 810 ROM that you're using?

I checked the code that is producing this message, and what is happening is that the program is uploading code to the drive under the 'Q' command to read back $17FE-17FF, then checks it via an obfuscated algorithm that XORs those two bytes into a buffer and checks the sum of the result. The check will only pass if the two bytes at that address range are $90 $68. (Presumably this would have been difficult to determine in the 80s, but on a modern machine it takes two seconds to try all 64K combinations in Python.) None of the firmware ROMs match this, though the V7 ROM does have an obviously unused LDY #1 instruction in those two bytes. You can circumvent the check by setting a breakpoint at $4020 and changing $4EB8-9 to $90 $68.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, cx2k said:

LOL. Sorry, no idea what the hell I actually uploaded. I edited my post and uploaded the correct ATR. Try it now @ijor

Wow !!! Thank you so much. For quite some time I believed this program was  a myth! LOL

1 hour ago, phaeron said:

I checked the code that is producing this message, and what is happening is that the program is uploading code to the drive under the 'Q' command to read back $17FE-17FF, then checks it via an obfuscated algorithm that XORs those two bytes into a buffer and checks the sum of the result. The check will only pass if the two bytes at that address range are $90 $68. ...

V7 ROM does have an obviously unused LDY #1 instruction in those two bytes

I think we talked about that word already that seems to be some kind of serial number. And the Customizer, or at least this version, seems to be tailored to a specific H810 serial #.

On 5/9/2021 at 1:41 AM, Nezgar said:

1310257531_HappyCustomizer01.png.f3e7feb4e70bed476e718b02e4196bd5.png

Well, I looked through the paperwork I got in this collection and in the very last binder I found this:

20210510_180530.thumb.jpg.b4915dfe03b17efb943a3a3dac5a8d8b.jpg

Along with several other seemingly early Happy documents. I'll take these to work with me Wednesday and get them scanned in ASAP. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A++++ @cx2k You da man, amazing double whammy! Massive thanks for turning both up -- looking forward to the scans.

Already a little clarity just from the cover page: "Use with 1 to 3 disk drives, one 810 Enhancement required"

Probably:

• D1: 810 with Happy Enhancement for writing "customized" disk
  • D2: "unhappy" drive as source data disk
  • D3: "unhappy" drive with format spec file

Sorry for the delay in uploading this....

There were some other Happy Docs with this.

- 1982 Happy 810 Enhancement Installation

- 1982 Happy 810 Enhancement Information Package

- 1982 Happy Computing Slow it Down

- 1982 Happy Backup Program Instructions

- 1986 Happy 810 & 1050 Enhancement Manual

- 1983 Spartan Software The Chip

Let me know if these are of interest as well.

John

Happy Customizer Program instructions 1982.pdf

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 5/14/2021 at 2:05 AM, cx2k said:

There were some other Happy Docs with this.

- 1982 Happy 810 Enhancement Installation

- 1982 Happy 810 Enhancement Information Package

- 1982 Happy Computing Slow it Down

- 1982 Happy Backup Program Instructions

- 1986 Happy 810 & 1050 Enhancement Manual

- 1983 Spartan Software The Chip

Let me know if these are of interest as well.

Some of these are common and already available. But a couple of them I don't remember seeing them. Yes, please, scan them if you can.

Thanks a lot for uploading the Customizer manual!

• Like 1