IGNORED

Archive of Happy Backup Software?

Larry

I am certain don't remember seeing this: 1982 Happy Computing Slow it Down

Not quite sure about the others. There are a couple that might be missing, or they might be included in other Happy docs that are floating around. Hard to tell until seeing the actual document.

May be @Nezgar can tell if some documents are missing?

13 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

John may not be able to upload the manuals right now so let me know which ones are missing, I can add them here before they appear on our site.

Thanks! I'm on the road for the next week and a half. 

John

On 5/18/2021 at 12:57 AM, www.atarimania.com said:

Thanks for this. it "seems" familiar, but probably because some of the text may have been incorporated into manuals for later revisions. Reading it, "Slow it down" merely activates an early version of the feature later called "unhappy mode", but done on with 2 sector boot disk. It notes a feature introduced to the happy backup software to automatically set the drive to slow mode for copies made. (I have used this in Happy 1050/7.x software) The diagnostic on the back side of the disk provided an RPM measurement that was 50/60hz compatible.

On 5/9/2021 at 4:50 PM, phaeron said:

What is the CRC32 of the Happy 810 ROM that you're using?

I checked the code that is producing this message, and what is happening is that the program is uploading code to the drive under the 'Q' command to read back $17FE-17FF, then checks it via an obfuscated algorithm that XORs those two bytes into a buffer and checks the sum of the result. The check will only pass if the two bytes at that address range are $90 $68. (Presumably this would have been difficult to determine in the 80s, but on a modern machine it takes two seconds to try all 64K combinations in Python.) None of the firmware ROMs match this, though the V7 ROM does have an obviously unused LDY #1 instruction in those two bytes. You can circumvent the check by setting a breakpoint at $4020 and changing $4EB8-9 to $90 $68.

I used one 4K Happy 810 ROM dump marked "pre-v7" with CRC32 942EC3D5 as well as an 8K  v7 ROM CRC32 982D825D. Both allowed the menu to run.... once - until the drive has been virtually power-cycled - not just a Shift-F5 cold-start in Altirra, it needs a full close+rerun of Altirra. (3.90-test10)

Looking back through previous posts, $17FE-17FF may be an enhancement serial number the software may try to match up? Those same locations may be used for banking in later 6K V7 upgrade?

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/257578-happy-810-resources/?do=findComment&comment=3616394

Edit: Ah yes I see now @ijor already commented theorizing this as well. if so, what I don't understand is why I can seemingly boot into the menu once.

Edit2: Or maybe this is a cause of "83 ERROR DURING READ"

On 5/13/2021 at 11:05 PM, cx2k said:

All kinds of juicy information in this document... this is a fascinating read.

"Atari DOS is not included with the HZP since a licensing agreement would be required for HAPPY COMPUTING to supply DOS, and this is too expensive"

... Funny to see that since @ijor previously noted about 60% of the Happy 810 ROM is Atari code. :D

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/257578-happy-810-resources/?do=findComment&comment=3616085

The instructions do detail that booting the disk as provided "configures" it to match the first enhanced drive detected. Then, the 2 files on the disk can be copied to another disk with DOS 2.0S, which the one in this thread appears to be, so would make sense to have to patch the executable or ROM to match.

The documentation is interesting and details how to create various non-standard formats including invalid CRC, deleted data mark, duplicate sectors (up to 19 total sectors on a track) , missing sectors. For missing sectors, it is noted that a "record not found" causes a standard 810 to do 2 track 0 reseeks, causing the infamous grinding noise and a 12 second delay which "most 810 owners hate".

"Program Copyguard - Some Strategy Opinions" has some blather about software crackers... "...these people are not more intelligent than the computer itself", "These code breakers are slow idiots that do what the computer does, only slower" blah blah :D

The "Standard format Examples" and "Disk Interleaved Format Theory" sections confirm my observations of the three example "HZP" files:

• EXAMPLE1.HZP "similar to what is known as the slow format." - This would be the 810 Rev B ROM 13:1 interleave
  • EXAMPLE2.HZP "similar to what is known as the fast format." - This would be the 810 Rev C ROM 9:1 interleave
  • EXAMPLE3.HZP is described as the "HAPPY format" and most efficient 8:1 interleave.

EXAMPLE3.HZP is interesting in that they're implying they had a hand in it's creation by calling it the "HAPPY format". The happy 810 ROM formats this interleave by default, as does the Spartan Archiver/Chip, 1050 US Doubler, Percom RFD, etc. So who came up with this improvement first?

Let's look at the timeline of devices employing this interleave:

• 1982: Happy 810 Enhancement, Percom RFD-40S1 (March 82), Percom AT-88 (Nov 82), Fast-Chip, by Binary Corporation
  • 1983: The Chip/Archiver, 810 Turbo, etc

From 1980 until November 1981, 810's had the revision "B" ROM which formatted disks with the "slow" 13:1 interleave. After Nov 1981, Atari's Rev C ROM began to become available, but not before some smart folks in the user group community took it upon themselves to improve. In a previous post of mine we know from the ACE October 1981 newsletter had an article detailing how to modify the 810 ROM to make it format a faster interleave. This matches the so-called "HAPPY format". This same interleave has been referred to as the "Chicago format" by David Small in Creative Computing. (40% faster than Atari's Rev B, 10% faster than Rev C - the exact claims of the Fast-Chip, by Binary Corporation, implying that is merely the result of the same ROM modification)

It's noted in the FAQ that Charles W. Marslett wrote the original Percom firmware, and MYDOS was a side project during that time. It seems to me that it might be a tie between Charles Marslett and Richard Adams having learned of the faster interleave from user group articles published by at least October 1981 and incorporated it into the products they were working on for release in 82. And whomever was behind the Binary-Corporation Fast-Chip, which must have just been marketing a ROM based on the PD patch.

• Like 2

Is there an archive somewhere of these ACE (Eugene Oregon) newsletters?  I remember that I had a couple of them back in the early 80's.  The trouble with searching is that there are all kind of "ACE" results. Atarimania doesn't seem to have them and I only see a couple at the Internet Archive. Looking through the newsletter linked above, there is some really good info in it. 

On 5/22/2021 at 1:53 AM, Nezgar said:

I used one 4K Happy 810 ROM dump marked "pre-v7" with CRC32 942EC3D5 as well as an 8K  v7 ROM CRC32 982D825D. Both allowed the menu to run.... once - until the drive has been virtually power-cycled - not just a Shift-F5 cold-start in Altirra, it needs a full close+rerun of Altirra. (3.90-test10)

That sounds strange. Would you mind posting those roms?

On 5/21/2021 at 9:53 PM, Nezgar said:

I'm still not sure how this works at all, as when I try with that configuration it consistently fails as expected.

BTW, is there a reason you are still using 3.90-test10 instead of 3.90 final? That version has some known bugs that have already been fixed, such as the 810 FDC taking too long to time out on missing sectors.

On 5/10/2021 at 12:50 AM, phaeron said:

You can circumvent the check by setting a breakpoint at $4020 and changing $4EB8-9 to $90 $68.

Try the attached image.

It should work with any Happy 810 s/n.

I successfully tried it with the Happy 810 ROM dump marked "pre-v7" with CRC32 942EC3D5.

Happy Customizer 3-9 [any SN v1].atr

Edited by DjayBee
actually attached the image ;)
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2021 at 4:38 AM, Larry said:

Is there an archive somewhere of these ACE (Eugene Oregon) newsletters?  I remember that I had a couple of them back in the early 80's.  The trouble with searching is that there are all kind of "ACE" results. Atarimania doesn't seem to have them and I only see a couple at the Internet Archive. Looking through the newsletter linked above, there is some really good info in it. 

These are the ones currently on the Internet archive.  I don't know of any elsewhere on the internet.

Volume 1 which has all the issues up to June 1982:

https://archive.org/details/AtariComputerEnthusiastsNewslettersVolume1

Allan uploaded 12 additional issues:

https://archive.org/details/AtariComputerEnthusiastsOfEugeneOreganMarch1983

https://archive.org/details/AtariComputerEnthusiastsACEEugeneORJune1985 (11 here, mostly 1985, early 1986)

There's another one here:

https://archive.org/details/ataricomputerenthusiastsaceeugeneorapril1986

And finally there are four issues in the SLCC 1987 newsletter collection:

https://archive.org/download/AtariUserGroupsNewslettersJune-Dec1987

Some of the content was excerpted into other newsletters.

The WACE newsletters from New Zealand in particular contain quite a few articles from ACE Eugene throughout its issues and is worth perusing just to see what they decided was worth reprinting:

https://archive.org/details/WACENZ19840600No18

And I see a smattering of other reprints as well in other newsletters (Current Notes 1984-07, 1984-09, 1986-04, 1987-05, JACG 1982-09, TAIG 1983-04, TAIG 1985-07, Portland Atari Club 1985-09, 1985-10, ...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/27/2021 at 11:06 PM, ColleenLover said:

I have a copy of the software V7.25 ?????

Any info in this?

Almost sure it is a hack, I've seen hacks already that they were really an old version just with the version number modified in the disk. But, just in case, please do post a dump.

Edited by ijor

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 9:14 PM, DjayBee said:

Try the attached image.

It should work with any Happy 810 s/n.

I successfully tried it with the Happy 810 ROM dump marked "pre-v7" with CRC32 942EC3D5.

Happy Customizer 3-9 [any SN v1].atr 90.02 kB · 15 downloads

Quoting myself. ?

Did anyone do further testing with the Customizer?

Btw.: phaeron's workaround does not work.

Right before writing the specially formatted tracks, the serial number is verified a second time. This check fails with his workaround.

When it fails, it patches an ORA to be an LDA which makes every write fail.

Happy Customizer Program Rev.3.9 - Documentation.txt

• 2 years later...

Hello, I am looking for the Happy Archiver Software program for Happy Warp 7.x, it is not available on the Happy Warp disks, it was an additional paid program written for the Happy extension by CSS (the company from Super Archiver and Bit Writer). I would be grateful for the manual if anyone had it in an electronic version.

Best regards: Zbiku

1050 version?  (I'm not sure if an 810 R7 Happy Archiver existed.)  Assuming you're looking for the 1050 version, this one works:

1050 to Kiwi Chip Archiver (attached)  There are a couple floating around that do not work.

Manual available at archive.org -- search for Atari Archiver.

BTW, once you have loaded the original Archiver, then you can boot the Super Archiver and gain several features.

1050 to Kiwi Chip Archiver (19xx)(Kiwi Systems).atr

I think the Happy Archiver software was an  "all in one" solution uploading an Archiver emulator to the Happy hardware as well as the Archiver 1.1  software into the computer. Otherwise, you had to load the emulator (attached above by @Larry, which is the one I think everyone says actually works) and then the Archiver software separately.

Oops!  I forgot that the Kiwi was a two-step load.  But still, go to archive.org (search for Atari Archiver), and scroll down -- you'll find a nice assortment of Archiver/Editor software. 

IIRC:

1.x is the original Archiver software

2.x is the Super Archiver

3.x is the enhanced density Super Archiver

My favorite copy programs from BITD.

Edit:  I just tested the original  Archiver/Editor 1.0 after originally booting with Kiwi (with real hardware and Altirra), and they appear to work fine.

The original software by Spartan was a "Chip" emulator. Years later CSS released new software, AFAIK only for the Happy 1050, that emulated a Super Archiver (with some limitations). Not sure about that Kiwi one, never tried it.