IGNORED

Why is the Xbox One Dashboard experience so horrible?

DracIsBack

Only way I've found is eject and reinsert the disc. Or have your system set up to play discs automatically.

OR you can not auto log in. I find the ui when not logged in is a LOT better (probably how it should be normally tbh) you can find stuff then and log in after selecting the game.

• Like 1

the only thing good about xbox has been the team designing the hardware (specifically their great cooling unlike the PS4 dustbuster), the dashboard is hideous and just awful - why let me have a background and then cover it up with trash?

and the IR remote - WHY!?

I can work everything it's just painful to do so.

• Like 1

Yep.. same here. You have to eject and re-insert. It's ridiculous there isn't a simple "play disc" option somewhere that anyone can find.

For me, any game disc I've left in the slot shows up automatically (with proper cover art) on the bottom of my home page--even if it's been weeks since playing. We normally eject movies after watching them, but I just tried a DVD: I left it in, ran several other apps to ostensibly push it off the home tab but a blue icon with two discs remained in the same spot the game art would. The moment I removed the disc, it disappeared. I didn't test a BluRay to see if it had cover art.

I'll grant I don't know if it was a setting I made sometime or if it happens naturally. I also have the BluRay app pinned in the "apps&games" area, but I don't recall ever needing to go to it.

In this screenshot they probably have Recore in the disc slot, as that bottom-middle spot is where it remains on my home page so long long as the disc is there:

post-39941-0-17430400-1541754251_thumb.jpg

For me, any game disc I've left in the slot shows up automatically (with proper cover art) on the bottom of my home page--even if it's been weeks since playing.

Thanks.. and yes that is how it is when it's working. I'm not sure what it is I do (maybe when switching disks frequently.?) But seems every so often I'd have a disc in there and can't find a tile for it.. so I have to get up and eject/re-insert and it mostly shows up after that. Worst case, I have to restart the entire xbone.

Thanks.. and yes that is how it is when it's working. I'm not sure what it is I do (maybe when switching disks frequently.?) But seems every so often I'd have a disc in there and can't find a tile for it.. so I have to get up and eject/re-insert and it mostly shows up after that. Worst case, I have to restart the entire xbone.

Yuck! We don't switch discs much so I don't know if that'd show up if we did. That'd be frustrating.

If it's for movies, I guess I can only suggest pinning the BluRay app to the Apps&Games screen. Then run that if it doesn't auto-play.

Definitely not defending Microsoft. You'd think that for such a customer base they'd be able to design something nicer. Maybe even home screen templates that are either geared more for gamers or more toward movie watchers who occasionally game.

Definitely not defending Microsoft. You'd think that for such a customer base they'd be able to design something nicer. Maybe even home screen templates that are either geared more for gamers or more toward movie watchers who occasionally game.

It's not just Xbox One, but all of Windows 10 that MS keeps screwing over. Each update makes the system unuseable it's at a point where the "latest update" destroys your files! And they've been known for promising new features only to pulling them out later (yeah looking at you Cortana...). Like Snap multitasking, right at a time where gamers now want to watch Twitch streaming right next to the game they're playing.

I know that Windows 10 is suppose to be a vertical scrolling UI (ie Start Menu/Screen) but it just does not work on the X1 running on a widescreen display. In fact MS has nothing for TV interfaces since getting rid of Windows 8 other than a confusing Xbone UI...

Edited by MrMaddog

It seems that a lot of Microsoft UI lately is geared toward touch screen or *shudder* the Kinect. I think this means big blocks that can be easily pressed instead of smaller icons or lists which might be easier to navigate with mouse or controller. I think this has contributed to the jumbled interface and confusing layout. I have a computer with Windows 10 and its UI gives me fits sometimes. I need to look into seeing if there's a way to change it to look like 2000 or XP or NT or just about anything else...

https://www.howtogeek.com/277448/how-to-make-windows-10-look-and-act-more-like-windows-7/

Oh back to the topic. I never owned a Microsoft console and it's extremely unlikely I ever will.

Edited by thetick1

That screenshot up there is actually how my xbone looks, when I'm NOT logged in. That's why I suggested not auto login. Not sure why it changed, but I don't use or even know what more than half the shit on my home screen even is. I'm the only one who has ever used it, so it's not friends/family messing with settings. Only thing I've ever done is look for a way to get rid of things (I've found none) ms ui on computer sucks too, but at least there I can flick unused icons off the main screen, which helps alot.

I know of nobody that didn't at least like the blade dash. So clean, easy to navigate, and imo looked awesome too.

/me raises hand...

The blades do look cool. But when I use the thumbstick or D-pad to go up or down, I hit the diagonals by mistake and keep switching blade screens loosing my place.

Still the blade dash is way bettter than the current ad tiles, and I do miss the New Xbox Experience. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I quit using my Xbox 360 years ago in large part because of the dashboard update. Instead of being a layer to enable me to easily access and play my games, it felt like an obstacle I had to work around. It was simply unpleasant to even power it on.

I don't know what the Xbone dash is like. I have no interest in finding out. Microsoft made their bed with that one.

Even PS4 crossbar devolved from the PS3 version.

• 1 month later...

I agree largely.

I suppose Im somewhat easy going, so I have kind of got used to a lot of it. Doesnt mean its good though, and I do dislike the MS tack of buggering about with the look every year or so, like they did with the 360.

My biggest problem is its unreliability though.

Im bed bound a lot of the time, and I have 10 or so consoles sat by my bed hooked up at any given time. So, apart from the gaming, Ill use the PS4 and XB1 for media streaming, youtube, et al. The PS4 performs far better for me, especially if you choose to put the console to sleep instead of full shutdown all the time.

The PS4 remains fairly robust, apart from the shop, which will always restart if you view a long list of games.

The XB1 though, will often sign out when theres a brief connection dropout (a problem which I am unable to solve at present), and no means to stop it doing this, which will exit you from games.

Then theres the stupidly frustrating act of features randomly not working anymore for no good reason.

Last week I had Game Pass all by disappear from access, which was truly bizarre as it removed some menu functions with it. Ive also had it regularly where, on the games and apps list, updates will not display and will simply sit there checking all the time. Similarly regular has been downloads just sitting there, refusing to budge.

Add to these, the occasional Edge explorer not working, or clicking on an app does nothing at all, and its just been a mess.

When I think of MS experience in creating Windows and they cant even get the edge browser to work well, well, its beyond me.

Here's a helpful tip I came across on YouTube for speeding up your dashboard:

https://t.co/iVRHwP9grx

If you're on a 4K display, change the setting to 1080p to make moving around the dashboard quicker. You can still get native 4K for supported games & video.

Hope this releaves 'some' of the pain of using the current Xbone UI...

• 4 weeks later...

So, I wanted to take one of my PS4 Spider-Man photos and make it the background on my XB1, because I'm weird like that. Lots of Googling to figure that one out, but here's the convoluted steps:

1. Create photo in Spider-Man on PS4.

2. Pres the share button, share it to Archive.

3. Open PS App on phone, go to photo in What's New, pull down menu to save as jpg.

Now, from here, one would think, my phone has OneDrive, XBox has OneDrive, easy, right? Nope.

4. Upload photo to OneDrive, thinking the above works.

5. When it doesn't (can't make backgrounds from OneDrive files, or move files from OneDrive in XBox), open OneDrive on PC, move file to a USB drive.

6. Open USB on XB1, open photo. Then, unintuitively press start to get the option to set the photo as background.

Neither the PS4 or the XB1 were intuitive when it came to doing any of this. Granted, moving media isn't the primary function of a game console, but wow, that was in no way easy to figure out without help.

I guess if I wanted to connect a social accounts to my consoles that might have been easier, but that's not happening.

So, I wanted to take one of my PS4 Spider-Man photos and make it the background on my XB1, because I'm weird like that. Lots of Googling to figure that one out, but here's the convoluted steps:

1. Create photo in Spider-Man on PS4.

2. Pres the share button, share it to Archive.

3. Open PS App on phone, go to photo in What's New, pull down menu to save as jpg.

Now, from here, one would think, my phone has OneDrive, XBox has OneDrive, easy, right? Nope.

4. Upload photo to OneDrive, thinking the above works.

5. When it doesn't (can't make backgrounds from OneDrive files, or move files from OneDrive in XBox), open OneDrive on PC, move file to a USB drive.

6. Open USB on XB1, open photo. Then, unintuitively press start to get the option to set the photo as background.

Neither the PS4 or the XB1 were intuitive when it came to doing any of this. Granted, moving media isn't the primary function of a game console, but wow, that was in no way easy to figure out without help.

I guess if I wanted to connect a social accounts to my consoles that might have been easier, but that's not happening.

Complain, complain, complain. You'll get no sympathy from us. You know how you'd get a silly patch from Activision back in the day?

1. Get your high score (the easiest/most fun/fastest part). Don't let anyone reset the game or turn it off!

2. Using a film camera, take a picture of your TV screen. When the whole roll is finished,

3. Take it or send it to photo processing for a large sum per image, or use darkroom chemicals to develop it yourself. Or a Polaroid for about the price of a nice drink.

4. Put it in an envelope, stamp it, send it to Activision.

5. Wait for days.

6. Did I say days? LOL it's actually weeks.

In the time you took to type this up, you could have made a dummy Facebook account for no other purpose than to perform this transfer.

• Like 2

I think MS learned a bad lesson in the 90s when they had their OS/Apps near-monopoly. That they could design anything they wanted, by committee, and people would simply just buy it because its Microsoft. It seems like there is still a lot of that thinking in the company because these disasters keep happening: Vista, Windows 8, Xbox One- not just the UI, but the entire reveal.

These things were all met with consumer resistance/apathy and MS had to back-peddle until they finally produce what the market wanted.

• Like 1

I agree that everything since the blade hasn't really made sense as an update. I don't think the current XBone UI is much better or worse than any other iteration since blade. I do kinda like the "community" page where I can see screenshots and achievements from groups, friends, and other posters. The "store" page seems fine and not any more annoying than any other app-style store. Somehow the auto-previews are less annoying than Netflix.

What really surprised me this generation is the incredible slow performance of the PS4 dashboard. If you go to the PS4 store then the whole machine slows to a crawl. Stuff that isn't important like loading your activity feed is crazy slow, but important stuff like just populating your game library is also sometimes a literally endless wait. I had to look up tricks that basically came down to logging out every time you are done browsing the PS4 store. I'll give it to MS that at least that doesn't happen on XOne.

Complain, complain, complain. You'll get no sympathy from us. You know how you'd get a silly patch from Activision back in the day?

1. Get your high score (the easiest/most fun/fastest part). Don't let anyone reset the game or turn it off!

2. Using a film camera, take a picture of your TV screen. When the whole roll is finished,

3. Take it or send it to photo processing for a large sum per image, or use darkroom chemicals to develop it yourself. Or a Polaroid for about the price of a nice drink.

4. Put it in an envelope, stamp it, send it to Activision.

5. Wait for days.

6. Did I say days? LOL it's actually weeks.

In the time you took to type this up, you could have made a dummy Facebook account for no other purpose than to perform this transfer.

I knew there was a reason I didn't bother with the Activision patches...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I don't have much of the issues either. Though, with a Xbox One X, I am disappointed with how long it takes to boot and how laggy it is to get intro other apps.

Seriously, my 360 from a cold boot is ready in about 10 seconds. My Xbox One X on the other hand takes about a minute. It's ridiculous.

And it has half the features of my 360 (no MP3 local recording, so no local MP3 playback. No Visualizer).

• Like 2

I come home from work and turn mine on. I head into the kitchen and make a coffee, when i return were both ready to play.

Push the "Y" button to search my installed games. D-pad up and hit "A" to play. Simple...

• Like 1