IGNORED

Why is the Xbox One Dashboard experience so horrible?

DracIsBack

Complain, complain, complain. You'll get no sympathy from us. You know how you'd get a silly patch from Activision back in the day?

1. Get your high score (the easiest/most fun/fastest part). Don't let anyone reset the game or turn it off!

2. Using a film camera, take a picture of your TV screen. When the whole roll is finished,

3. Take it or send it to photo processing for a large sum per image, or use darkroom chemicals to develop it yourself. Or a Polaroid for about the price of a nice drink.

4. Put it in an envelope, stamp it, send it to Activision.

5. Wait for days.

6. Did I say days? LOL it's actually weeks.

In the time you took to type this up, you could have made a dummy Facebook account for no other purpose than to perform this transfer.

I went through all this to get a River Raid patch back in the day... then it got destroyed in a house fire...

I can't remember if I used a Polaroid or not... I think my sister had one. But imagine if you finally get the high score, take a picture of the screen, turn the system off, send off the film, get the photos back the next day or whenever, and the picture didn't come out... glare on the screen... or something else... man that would suck.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the Wii U experience as almost as bad but Nintendo made the Switch experience a shitload cleaner and nicer to use from that at least.

I can't find many categories in the Switch store. Where is the apps category? I want to see a list with YouTube, Netflix, etc. in there. I have to manually search instead. My all-time favorite was the Wii dashboard. Bring back music! :D

I can't find many categories in the Switch store. Where is the apps category? I want to see a list with YouTube, Netflix, etc. in there. I have to manually search instead. My all-time favorite was the Wii dashboard. Bring back music! :D

Alas, doe s the Switch even have enough "apps" to have an apps category? There's only like Youtube and Hulu really.

• 10 months later...

X1 had a recent dashboard makeover. As usual, I'm never happy with the changes. I guess I just don't like my game consoles to get changes to them. I get used to a GUI and I want to stick with it forever, just like my classic consoles. It makes it so much easier when I have everything in muscle memory, I can switch back and forth between SNES or Jaguar and never have problems. 

They really didn't do much other than change how the pods are organized. But again, they didn't make it 'better', so a waste of time really.

It confused me too, but I think the point is that you now have to actually click to enter the different "blades" instead of them automatically rendering when just pushing LB/RB.  That and the fact they are arranged vertically instead of horizontally of course.

I suspect this was meant to make the dashboard faster as it is no longer loading: community, mixer, store, etc ahead of time.  Instead you actually have to choose to enter those "blades" like an app.

At least the home screen is less crowded with only tiles for recent apps/games with only a couple ads (like Games For Gold).

I don't use the other tabs like Mixer, in fact I deleted them from my Home.

Still PO'ed about the removal of Cortana which means I'll have to buy an expensive Alexa device instead of a simpile mini-mic to use voice commands...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, godslabrat said:

The new dashboard isn't much better, but it IS better.  By showing the last few apps I've used, it essentially gives me a

menu with the six apps I'm likely to use next.  

not fantastic, but I'll take it as an improvement.

Are you saying that before this last update it wasn't doing that at all?  My main Xbox dashboard has had tiles with my last few apps on it for a very long time.  More than a year easily.

3 hours ago, wongojack said:

Are you saying that before this last update it wasn't doing that at all?  My main Xbox dashboard has had tiles with my last few apps on it for a very long time.  More than a year easily.

It wasn't as streamlined as I would have liked, and had way too many unused titles mixed in.

• Like 1