IGNORED

[WIP] Bag Boy

KevKelley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just discovered this on here and watched a quick YouTube video.  Looks great.  I just have one minor suggestion.  Don't know if it's been suggested already but maybe a beep beep car horn type noise if you get too close to a car.  Doesn't add to the gameplay but more to break up the constant car engine noise.

13 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I've just discovered this on here and watched a quick YouTube video.  Looks great.  I just have one minor suggestion.  Don't know if it's been suggested already but maybe a beep beep car horn type noise if you get too close to a car.  Doesn't add to the gameplay but more to break up the constant car engine noise.

I do not think that has been suggested yet but I think that is an awesome suggestion and one that sound easy enough to implement. While I have been sparse on time I have been trying to learn how to make better sound effects other than my random garbled noises and simple beeps. I will definitely play around with this, as I think more sounds like this could give it that classic arcade sound.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KevKelley said:

I do not think that has been suggested yet but I think that is an awesome suggestion and one that sound easy enough to implement. While I have been sparse on time I have been trying to learn how to make better sound effects other than my random garbled noises and simple beeps. I will definitely play around with this, as I think more sounds like this could give it that classic arcade sound.

Activision's Freeway has some great engine and car horn noises if you need some inspiration! ?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally had a chance to sit down to work on my game after being busy for so many months.  Right now I was laying down the basics for the various stages and the level change code, which will probably be controlled by 2 variables - one variable for carts collected and then when that hits a certain number it will hit the level variable.  

So, in addition to the regular stage and the rain stage, I was making the snow stage. I had a thought in regards to stages.  Years ago when I worked for Albertsons I remember there was a disaster preparedness guide that was illustrated, much in the same way as airplane safety sheets are illustrated.  I remember there were various scenarios that one might experience in an emergency.  It included things like the usual storms but I remember it also had things like riots, earthquakes, and volcanoes.  I am considering using a couple of these scenarios for stages despite being outlandish.  I think they might be fun and offer some varying visuals.

I also changed the lightning after the last feedback (I don;t remember if I had mentioned my changes before).  Now it flashes a couple times but then will linger a bit.  If you are holding the shopping cart it then starts to go in your direction.

I haven't updated the .bin or .bas yet since I haven't really changed much yet.  Hopefully I have a little more time to work before life drags me away from my game.

Here is the snow playfield:

BBPv121119.bas_2.png

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

CONGRATULATIONS to Bag Boy for being nominated in the 2019 Atari Homebrew Awards!

Be sure to vote for your favourite homebrew games of 2019 with the links below and watch the awards LIVE on February 1, 2020!

Awards Show: February 1, 2020 @ 12:00PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Channel!

Atari Homebrew Awards Categories (VOTE IN ALL!!):

1616555055_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestWIPHomebrewAtari2600.jpg.b39c270efba59213f2f6db9a429b744c.jpg

It is so cool to see Bag Boy in the list. There are a lot of great titles and Bag Boy has come a long way from when if first started (and then restarted) programming it. I still think it looks pretty nice for a first attempt and I hope to make some more progress soon! Look forward to the awards show and hopefully I'll be at a place to update soon so that the WIP resembles a more playable game!

• Like 1

Just caught the show. Fun watching others play, even though the game is still a bit incomplete and in it's "God mode" state. 

Just a reminder for the current gameplay -

The counters on the bottom left are your lives.

The counters on the bottom right is your time (shift).

Running into a car takes away a life.

Returning the cart gets you points. If the man in the lot grabs the cart it deducts points. A couple bonuses appear - an energy drink, overtime (additional time), money(score), and a 1up.

There is still much that needs to be done or tweaked. For instance, when time runs out it doesn't deduct a life. The energy drink doesn't work yet because I am working on redoing the movement and car code. I have been programming tests to get more familiar with some concepts to see what works. That code was from when I first started learning so I was hoping to improve upon it and make it work better with the progran. The lightning doesn't hurt you, and neither do the copies of the virtual sprites.

I have almost finished up the various stages but the big hold up is the movement and code for the cars. While the switch between regular stage, rain, snow, etc seemed to work, when I tried to switch up some of the gameplay elements with the Black Friday stage, I discovered I needed to rework things and so I was going to restructure some things but sadly that takes time.

Once I figure out those issues, I hope to add transition screens in-between stages or when a life is lost and possibly get a titlescreen and end screen up. I figure everything else in between would then just need tweaking. I'll try to get a new .bin up soon so that some progress can be witnesses and I can hold myself accountable. 

Thank you all for the support, as this has been a tremendous learning experience. I believe my game was a bit ambitious and as I first started I realized I needed to learn much more, which has been great fun. I also hope to have a surprise to share soon too, that is if I can find the time to sit in peace and quiet!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I last worked on it in January. I hit a problem that I needed to work out in regards to difficulty progression which resulted in me making some test programs (in which Crossdock) was part of. 

One of the first things I programmed when I switched to DPC+ was the cars moving. I was at the point where I had programmed each stage (debating on keeping some or adding) and wanted to do the cars and collision with the virtual sprites but with the code changing so much and my learning some methods in the test programs, I need to change out a chunk of code.  I was actually looking at it today to see how difficult it may be to adjust. 

I was looking to probably get rid of the volcanic eruption stage, as while I found it funny (especially since it was a reference to training material from Albertsons), I felt it wouldn't make much sense but I was going to add a Black Friday stage. This is what caused me to do some test programs because it required me to change the sprites from cars, change how they move, and then change them back. This is something I did with Crossdock in the bonus round and I think it would work well in Bag Boy.

Now I just have to stop procrastinating and make the plunge.

• 4 weeks later...