IGNORED

electrolytic vs Ceramic recaps

Elizabeth1701

I'm starting to see people doing recaps of vintage game consoles (handhelds) instead of the general electrolytic are opting to use Ceramics. My understanding has always been they weren't the best for Audio Circuits and maybe the Video Circuits. But should be fine for power circuit etc.

Any knowledgeable opinions out there on weather or not Ceramic Caps are good/bad replacement in video/audio circuits and/or power circuits on vintage consoles/handhelds?

Here's a thread over at the English Amiga Board on using ceramics as a replacement for the electrolytics in an Amiga 1200.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67932

A lot of the discussion is on the use in the 1200, but there is some general info in there on caps as well. There is a recommendation at the end to not use ceramics in the audio circuit, as it might cause distortion. I'll note that I actually DID use ceramics in the audio circuit in my A1200 and haven't noticed any distortion. YMMV.

Edited by chue

I never understand why people rush to replace perfectly good vintage caps. So long as they aren't physically damaged, don't leak current, and aren't shorted, they're typically fine.

That said, if people are dead-set on re-capping everything, at least know what types to use and why:

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/232631/ceramic-caps-vs-electrolytic-what-are-the-tangible-differences-in-use

• Like 1

well there's vintage caps like the old paper and wax models from old radio sets and whatnot that have not been produced for half a century, then there's old caps which are just metal cans and have not changed in 40 (or more) years except in quality

I think there is a bit too much vintage out there, someone scolded me for replacing a vintage 7805 voltage regulator at one point ... like come on

btw that link has a good chart about half way down for those that do not want to read lol

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

well there's vintage caps like the old paper and wax models from old radio sets and whatnot that have not been produced for half a century, then there's old caps which are just metal cans and have not changed in 40 (or more) years except in quality

That's a good point. I'm not talking about stuff in 1920's - 1950's radios, TVs, etc., a lot of which handled potentially-lethal voltages and charges. I'm just referring to old videogame consoles and computers. For the most part, the electrolytic caps in those - especially the stuff from the 70's through about the mid-80's is still just fine.