IGNORED

Hard Drivin’ on the 8 Bits?

EnderDude

Test Drive C64 ~ 3-6 fpsRescue on Fractalus ~ 4 fpsStar Wars C64 ~ 3fpsMOOD C64 3 fps... and they swear it's playable.Compared toProject-M Atari ~20 fpsStar Wars Atari 6-10 fpsToo slow ;)

Different strokes for different people.

While I consider sub-5 fps unplayable for fast paced games, player should have a choice of details.

For example choose the drawing distance,wireframe,flatshading or other effects, thus deciding the target framerate.

Of course, all those per-frame conditions add up, but at least the frame rate would not be predetermined by coder.

Besides, having 4-5 conditions(whether to jump into given effect subroutine) run once every 3-4 frames would hardly have a huge impact.

It's just.more work for coder :D

• Like 1

I look at what was considered very impressive 3D on the C64 and a conversion many thought not possible, espically after how the earlier Carrier Command had turned out:

I respect what was achieved, that's some clever coding going on there, but it's still a pale copy of the Amiga or ST versions.

Same with Lynx Steel Talons..far more responsive controls than Lynx Hard Drivin, but a frame rate of what?

3-5 FPS?

I just cannot see the A8 doing the 3D or realistic physics that made Hard Drivin stand out.

Now an update or sequel to this on the A8. ..that'd be most welcome:

That's a really cool driving game right there... aside from the driving audio sfx which are pretty weak for the POKEY.

Instead of wasting time discussing Hard Drivin', how 'bout modding this into ROAD BLASTERS ???

• Like 1

That would be one tiny step better, but a paddle would be even better. IIRC HD had a pot steering wheel (because the steering wheel cannot spin endlessly, like a real car). You could make a steering wheel with a pot to mimic this.

But....the thing is that this is one of those games that will always be only a shadow of the original game. Have you ever played the arcade machine ? If not, you won’t understand what I’m trying to say.

People are forgetting about the 2600 Driving Controller... or, if one were okay with just 180 degrees, the Paddle controllers...

Edited by Lynxpro

So called portal engine coded by Fox. Maps designed with duke nukem engine editor for the build engine, me made maps with mapster. It supports doors, elevators, jumping etc. quite cool and works best indoor levels.

Its part of Numen source code package. In the make file you can define if you want to build the stand alone version.

It does even let RAM left for game. Last time I looked into it and it fits into 32k.

• Like 3

So called portal engine coded by Fox. Maps designed with duke nukem engine editor for the build engine, me made maps with mapster. It supports doors, elevators, jumping etc. quite cool and works best indoor levels.

Its part of Numen source code package. In the make file you can define if you want to build the stand alone version.

It does even let RAM left for game. Last time I looked into it and it fits into 32k.

Holy shit - thast's 100 times cooler than I first thought!!!

• Like 1