IGNORED

Harmony or Uno cart advantages?

matthew954

14 minutes ago, xefned said:

Here are the games that other people have speculated won't run on the Unocart.

Not much need for speculation ? The Uno runs about everything, apart from DPC+ and CDF. Those two run game code on the ARM in the Harmony cartridge, and some heavy lifting would be required to get them running on the Uno. Your list ist about correct, but not exhaustive, and Boulder Dash (the demo) should run fine.

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Boulder Dash should work.

3 hours ago, DirtyHairy said:

...Boulder Dash (the demo) should run fine.

Thank you gentlemen! 

I didn't realize I wouldn't be able to edit my original post. But if I could, I'd remove Boulder Dash from that list.

On 12/29/2019 at 3:25 PM, xefned said:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but a significant detail wasn't mentioned: The reason I chose Uno over Harmony is the ability to order the roms alphabetically, rather than in the order you add them. 

This is a valid concern. I never liked having to use a third party utility like Drivesort to sort the files on the SD before using in Harmony.

So, after some brainstorming, we have figured out a possible way to sort the entries in the Harmony menu automatically, and if we succeed, this will be in the next BIOS release.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, batari said:

This is a valid concern. I never liked having to use a third party utility like Drivesort to sort the files on the SD before using in Harmony.

So, after some brainstorming, we have figured out a possible way to sort the entries in the Harmony menu automatically, and if we succeed, this will be in the next BIOS release.

Actually not that big of a concern. I'm happy to use DriveSort. At the time, it seemed like an extra hassle, but my perspective has changed. The time it takes to move around a bunch of 8k files isn't much. The complaints about Drivesort I'd read were from folks moving large media files on a FAT32 disk.

Thanks for making the Harmony Cart available. It's a great time to be a 2600 fanatic!

--- also @Thomas Jentzsch, thanks for editing my previous post.

Edited by xefned

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking at the website for the Unicart, and it says some nonstandard a/v mods may make the Unocart to not work.  Does anyone know what those mods are?  I am planning to use it on my modded lighr six switch.  I have one of the popular mods on ebay.  Interestingly enough my Halo 2600 will not work on it.  It won't get past the title screen.  (It works fine on my 7800.)

11 hours ago, Atari Dogs said:

I was looking at the website for the Unicart, and it says some nonstandard a/v mods may make the Unocart to not work.  Does anyone know what those mods are?  I am planning to use it on my modded lighr six switch.  I have one of the popular mods on ebay.  Interestingly enough my Halo 2600 will not work on it.  It won't get past the title screen.  (It works fine on my 7800.)

Woof. That is troubling news. I wonder what constitutes "nonstandard?" 

Most of us want the most out of our modern 2600 experience, which means: 1.) component or S-video output, and 2.) playing awesome homebrews. 

RF is something I want to get away from soon. Let me know if you find out any more. I did a search but couldn't find a reference to which mods don't work with Unocart.

Maybe he means "all mods" = nonstandard.

• 9 months later...
13 hours ago, Wizzard said:

Is it true that Harmony does not sort the ROMS alphabetically even in the latest firmware version? 

Also, is it no problem to run both PAL and NTSC games on a modern TV via antenna cable, right?

The next firmware version, currently in development, will sort files alphabetically.

Also, as Harmony is designed to support up to 10,000 files in a single directory, the sorting algorithm should also support large numbers of files (other carts do not even come close to that.)

• Like 3

The next firmware version, currently in development, will sort files alphabetically.

Also, as Harmony is designed to support up to 10,000 files in a single directory, the sorting algorithm should also support large numbers of files (other carts do not even come close to that.)
Any ETA on this new software? Feels like it's been forever in development [emoji3526]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Prizrak said:

Any ETA on this new software? Feels like it's been forever in development emoji3526.png

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Proof that Amazon Prime has ruined society. ;)

Fred Q is the developer of the Harmony and Encore. It's a one man show, just like AtariAge and the AtariAge store is a ONE MAN SHOW.

And I am pretty sure that Fred has a day job and the the Harmory is a side hobby gig. I can't imagine that he can make a living off of a flashcart for a 40+ year old videogame system.  

Fred is also developing the Concerto 7800 SD Cart that people have been waiting YEARS for. Like 6-7 Years. He has kicked the Concerto project into higher priority due to finally figuring out some pesky compatibility bugs. 

Have a little patience. It will happen. In the mean time in you want your games alphabetized download DriveSort or any number of utilities that will do that. 

• Like 1

No problem. I understand that no everyone is in the know or may be new to this whole thing. I just gets frustrating seeing people complain about things. I get more annoyed at people on FB complaining that it's been 4 weeks since they placed their game order with the AtariAge store and their order still shows as pending. Again, it's a one man show and there are MANY people placing orders and all games are built from scratch. 

No worries. Sorry if I came off a little harsh. I was just trying to explain the ONE MAN situation. ;)

• Like 3

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...