IGNORED

Best NHL Video Games

On 10/7/2018 at 4:23 AM, digdugnate said:

The NHL games were pretty decent on the Genesis, though I liked Mutant League Hockey the most. :)

Mutant League Hockey was good, but it was damn hard to score and didn't run as smooth as NHLPA '93 and/or NHL '94 imo.  Definitely it could have been better, but was good fun none-the-less.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2018 at 7:19 PM, BydoEmpire said:

I'm not really a hockey fan, but everything I know about hockey I learned from NHL '94 on the Genesis.

I definitely enjoyed Ice Hockey and Blades of Steel on the NES.

I went through a brief phase of paying attention to hockey in the early 00s due to a friend, so I played a bit of one of the NHL games on the Dreamcast an it was fun, but I wasn't a big enough fan to play much. I like one of the NHL Hitz games on the Gamecube as well.

Those two NES games were the only hockey games I ever played. I'm not really into sports besides racing (motorsports) though.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2021 at 12:25 PM, Hwlngmad said:

Mutant League Hockey was good, but it was damn hard to score and didn't run as smooth as NHLPA '93 and/or NHL '94 imo.  Definitely it could have been better, but was good fun none-the-less.

It’s a lot easier to score if the opposing goalie is dead ?

(Nb. I do not endorse any form of violence against actual human goalies. Except the time Mike Vernon beat up Patrick Roy was awesome and well deserved. And also the time Chris Osgood took him down. Unfortunately Hasek didn’t get the chance. So pretty much open season on Roy and everyone else is safe, is what I’m saying.)

I am surprised that my favorite, NHL ‘96, is only shared by @profholt82. It was just such a mindblowing and polished real hockey experience that my high school friends and I played it for years after the polygonal games started taking over and we got Playstations.

15 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

It’s a lot easier to score if the opposing goalie is dead ?

(Nb. I do not endorse any form of violence against actual human goalies. Except the time Mike Vernon beat up Patrick Roy was awesome and well deserved. And also the time Chris Osgood took him down. Unfortunately Hasek didn’t get the chance. So pretty much open season on Roy and everyone else is safe, is what I’m saying.)

I am surprised that my favorite, NHL ‘96, is only shared by @profholt82. It was just such a mindblowing and polished real hockey experience that my high school friends and I played it for years after the polygonal games started taking over and we got Playstations.

Will have to give NHL '96 a go and revisit Mutant League Hockey and make sure to take out the goaltender ;).

• Haha 1

On 10/12/2018 at 6:27 PM, Agamon said:

For arcade action, the earlier EA games were great. But back in the day, the combo of Wayne Gretzky Hockey 2 with Hockey League Simulator 2 for DOS was my go-to. The graphics were ass, even for the time, but the gameplay was great and playing a season was fun.

Maybe you would like Wayne Gretzky´s 3D Hockey. Published by Atari Games.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 3:11 AM, Lord Mushroom said:

Maybe you would like Wayne Gretzky´s 3D Hockey. Published by Atari Games.

The release of this game was when young me first learned that an upgraded version of something does not necessarily equate to better. :)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

The original NHL Faceoff for PS1 is probably my favorite.  It has a 3D rink, but the players are all scaling 2D sprites.  It's the best of both worlds, you get a good vantage point, responsive controls, and easily distinguishable players.

The only flaw is that it came out in 1995 so it doesn't have the Hurricanes.

• Like 1

The best NHL game I think is 2k4 which had 4 player support and was great fun with 4 players..

The best hockey game is clearly "Hockey?" or HockeyQuestionMark if you are trying to google it.  

First person, completely against other players, no AI..  and ridiculously difficult just how hockey should be!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Face Off! for the Commodore 64 never gets enough love for how amazing it is and all the features it offers (leagues and standings, playoff seedings, customizing and creating players, trades, etc.)

Astonishing stuff for 1987!  And best of all - this sweet graphic when you when you win the GHL Cup.....

z.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2018 at 3:52 PM, save2600 said:

And modern 3D hockey or basketball games, forget it. Can hardly keep track of who's got what or who you're supposedly controlling in those games. :lol:

Plus the control schemes are ridiculous. I had a PS1 demo disc with Face Off 98 or 99 yrs back & there were 3 SCREENS of controls to reference

Screenshot_20220309-175638_Gallery.jpg

• Haha 1