IGNORED

Harmony Cart or Uno Cart?

CX40Hero

Should I get a Harmony Cart or an Unocart?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should I get a Harmony Cart or an Unocart?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hi Guys n Gals,

Once again I'm calling on your expertise to aid in my purchasing decisions :)

To aid in my playing of HSC season 8 (as well as play some of these amazing in progress homebrews) Ive decided to pick up some form of multi cart, the question is which one?

I know the Harmony has been round for an age and is raved about, but new kid on the block, the Unocart seems to be turning a few heads...

Pay day is still a few weeks away so theirs plenty of time to research and discuss.

If you could only have 1 of these, which would it be and why?3

Thanks for the advice :)

Harmony cart, because for me it can play all (IMHO) "real" Atari games from past and future (and I own BoulderDash myself :)).

And neither the Harmony, Encore nor the UnoCart will be able to play all future games using advanced hardware, because hardware development will never stop.

• Like 1

I posted in the other thread, but here it is for completeness:

The UNO will play all standard 2600 files as well as most home-brews. Add to the fact that it is in active development means that we are constantly expanding its capabilities. Add that to the $50 price tag and it is a pretty persuasive deal. Of course, I always recommend that you buy both!

Here is the detail from the manual:

Compatibility
The UnoCart-2600 should be able to emulate every cartridge released during the commercial life of the 2600. Newer homebrew titles should also be compatible with the UnoCart-2600, unless they use the DPC+ co-processor features specific to the Harmony/Melody cartridge. Note that the DPC support on the cartridge is not complete but it is sufficient to play Pitfall II.
Arcadia/Starpath Supercharger titles are emulated with the multi-load parts combined in a single file. Up to 256 loads are supported (2MB file). The Supercharger BIOS will use the TV type set by the UnoCart-2600 TV jumper.
ROM Files
The UnoCart uses cartridge detection signatures from the Stella Atari 2600 emulator to auto-detect all common cartridge types. If a file has an extension of .BIN, .ROM or .A26 it will be auto-detected. If you want to force the cartridge to be emulated as a specific type, you can use the file extensions listed in the table below. Note: The table does not reflect the fact that currently shipping firmware will allow the use of 256k .3E ROMs.
post-16779-0-84634900-1538943970.png

• Like 2

Im sure I read on here there was a guy in the UK making unocarts? Can anyone verify that???

The person who created the UNO-2600 is from England Scotland, if that is who you are thinking of. Someone may be making them in the UK, but so far as I know, I am the only "authorized" manufacturer.

The person who created the UNO-2600 is from England, if that is who you are thinking of. Someone may be making them in the UK, but so far as I know, I am the only "authorized" manufacturer.

Hi,

Scotland not England thank you! :). (Scotland and England are two distinct parts of the larger entity that is the U.K. or Great Britain).

I make small numbers of UnoCarts for people in the UK that contact me directly. I'm grateful to MacRorie for making and selling them on a larger scale (with my blessing) since I have little desire to turn my kitchen into a production line (and my wife would not be happy).

Robin

• Like 6

Ups, misvoted --- I wanted to vote for the UNO ;) Both carts will allow you to run the full classic catalog and almost all homebrew. It is true that the Unocart does not currently support DPC+ and CDF games, but the Unocart's firmware is open source and can (and already has been) extended by anyone who has the skill and motivation to do so. The Harmony's FW, on the other hand, is currently closed source, and consequently extending it is much harder.

• Like 1