IGNORED

Colecovision repaired!

jltursan

Along this last summer I've been repairing a friend's colecovision (Hi Armando!) and it turned out to be a nightmare. The Colecovision was really in a bad shape, worse than expected and after more than two months of checking and fixing, here's the result:

JJFTaHzl.jpg

The Coleco ended up being mostly socketized, the list of damaged and replaced ICs is long: U10-U17 (all 8 VRAMs!), U5 (74LS138), U9 (TMS9928), U21 (LM1889) and U23 (HEF4066). Basically seems that all the video generation system was strike by a lightning!

Here's a close-up pic:

sjVk0QHl.jpg

:party: :party: :party:

• Like 7

Congrats on tracking down all of the issues and for fixing them. I suspect many would have given up. I love seeing old game systems saved from being thrown away.

It was a "machine vs. man" fight! :twisted:

Just make sure you don't buy a homebrew called Risky Rick now . :grin:

It's no my Colecovision; but I'm sure that my Adam would be happy with a Risky Rick plugged in! :D. Since I talked with Richard about it I was hooked by the development, incredible feat! :thumbsup:

Wow, so good to see it repaired, so many faults would have seen it in the landfill for most people.

My own power switches turned up tonight, which means I can finally play with a clean picture, and get the thing reassembled! Really looking forward to seeing it all it's Russian suitcase nuke 80s splendour.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, definitely needs its original heatsink, it gets hot very quickly!. I've glued the metal with high quality thermal paste and some thermal adhesive so I suposse that it must work a bit better than before

BTW @jltursan, let see if the 9928 I have works correctly... we need to meet soon!!

Sure, the Adam is still opened and waiting for a new VDP, thanks! :)

Edited by jltursan

• 3 weeks later...

JL, I have a 9928 for you. If you come next Saturday, the 9928 will be there. Btw, do you know where to buy a heatsink of the correct size for those vdp? Need one for one of my HX-10...

Here ya go! :)

https://console5.com/store/dip40-super-heat-sink-glue-on-thermal-epoxy-style-dip-40.html

• Like 1